British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tipping - Hotels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tipping-hotels-719502/)

MtbbikeVanlife Jun 3rd 2011 6:56 pm

Tipping - Hotels

I make no apology for bringing up tipping in the US again !

I have no problem coping with tipping in restaurants and other situations where a service is done "there and then" and you subsequently tip "there and then".

My problem is with the likes of hotels... Is it normal to leave a tip for the maid ? The nature of their work means that you never see them to give the tip personaly - leaving something in the room would leave me with the feeling that the true intended recipient might never receive the money....

The main reason I bring this up is that I will be in Richmond VA next week and have arranged for an item to be delivered by FedEx 1 to 2 days before I arrive - do I tip the reception staff for accepting the parcel ?

Thanks....

Carl

PS - Its sweltering here... It must have got to at least 24 C (75 F) today !!!

Sally Redux Jun 3rd 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Tipping - Hotels

You are meant to tip - sometimes they leave an envelope for the purpose.

tonrob Jun 3rd 2011 7:11 pm

Tipping housekeeprs in hotels is not expected in the same way as it is with servers in restaurants.

Mrs tonrob has, up until last year, spent the last 20 years working in the industry, the final 5 being in a variety of chain properties in the US since we moved.

She estimates that around 50% of hotel guests leave some sort of tip, which housekeepers appreciate but do not expect - and they don't think badly of those who don't (maybe unless they make a real mess of the room!)

There have been a variety of threads on Flyertalk on the subject, and American frequent travelers are fairly divided on the subject, many with their own personal set of 'rules' around when they do it (and how much) - so very different from (for example) the fairly standard 15-18% 'rule' in restaurants etc.

So basically it's up to you - tip if you want to, and don't feel bad if you don't. :)

Edit (overlooked the last part of your post): And no - don't tip reception if you pick up the parcel, but if someone delivers it to your room then maybe consider it.

lyonsden1193 Jun 3rd 2011 7:28 pm

A little doesn't hurt too much.. unless youre room sucks! But I always get a rise out of my American wife when she asks me to tip anybody.. My standard reply is Trap 4 .. 5th race ...Wimbledon dogs friday night.. Ooooh she gets SO annoyed!!

tonrob Jun 3rd 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9408362)
A little doesn't hurt too much.. unless youre room sucks! But I always get a rise out of my American wife when she asks me to tip anybody.. My standard reply is Trap 4 .. 5th race ...Wimbledon dogs friday night.. Ooooh she gets SO annoyed!!

If your room "sucked" is that necessarily the housekeeper's fault?

Sally Redux Jun 3rd 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9408362)

My Dad always used to say, "Tip? Don't go out in the rain without an umbrella."

lyonsden1193 Jun 3rd 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9408368)
If your room "sucked" is that necessarily the housekeeper's fault?

yep most of the time it is!

most common problem no towels or in the north east we find that they really dont want you to get an 'in room' cup of mud (coffee ) so they will not leave any sugar or creamer!!

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 3rd 2011 7:39 pm

Cleaning staff get paid at least minimum, server rates are usually about half that.

Amount varies by state.

Would not tip front of house.

tonrob Jun 3rd 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9408381)
yep most of the time it is!

most common problem no towels or in the north east we find that they really dont want you to get an 'in room' cup of mud (coffee ) so they will not leave any sugar or creamer!!

Oh, I see.

In my mind the room "sucking" would be maintenence or even design issues, but I understand what you are driving at now.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 3rd 2011 8:02 pm

Housekeepers in all my hotels appreciate tips but they dont expect them.

Front desk never expects tips and depending on property might not even be allowed to accept a tip (50/50 at the hotels I've worked at.)

If someone brings something to your room, a small tip never hurts.

In the state I worked at, there was no serving wage for servers, so servers make at least the state min. wage.

sir_eccles Jun 3rd 2011 8:27 pm

The only time I might tip front of house is if I was asking the concierge for example to do me a real big favor to save the day that was out of his normal duties.

Otherwise, a couple of bucks to the maid is nice, especially if you left the room in a state.

MtbbikeVanlife Jun 3rd 2011 9:21 pm

Understood.... Thanks for the "tips".... (groan).

Carl.

Manc Jun 3rd 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 9408303)

it's called june.

Have a Solero and shut the **** up.

S Folinsky Jun 4th 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 9408303)
I make no apology for bringing up tipping in the US again !

I have no problem coping with tipping in restaurants and other situations where a service is done "there and then" and you subsequently tip "there and then".

My problem is with the likes of hotels... Is it normal to leave a tip for the maid ? The nature of their work means that you never see them to give the tip personaly - leaving something in the room would leave me with the feeling that the true intended recipient might never receive the money....

The main reason I bring this up is that I will be in Richmond VA next week and have arranged for an item to be delivered by FedEx 1 to 2 days before I arrive - do I tip the reception staff for accepting the parcel ?

Thanks....

Carl

I leave $3 per day behind in the room when I leave. Just leave it on the desk or dresser. If I use a porter, $3 per bag.

BTW, people tell me I'm on the low side.

cheers Jun 4th 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9409048)
I leave $3 per day behind in the room when I leave. Just leave it on the desk or dresser. If I use a porter, $3 per bag.

BTW, people tell me I'm on the low side.

If I had a good income I would tip generously. I would tip the bagger at the supermarket, the barber, the gasoline attendant, newspaper delivery boy, the choir boys and so on.

The last employment I had, after I was supposed to be retired, received tips. If there was no tips I would have left so you are always hustling for tips.

A doorman at one of the large hotels in Las Vegas was said to have a Lexus of a different color for each day of the week. His job was to open the door of taxis as guests arrived and left the hotel. There was a lot of tension because as you can imagine lots of people wanted that job because of the tips.