Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping Etiquette - Point #387

Tipping Etiquette - Point #387

Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Tipping Etiquette - Point #387

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
FFS!

We had Fry's deliver a fridge and we didn't tip them. I'm sure they expected one though.
What a versatile firm!! They also make my "Turkish delight".
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
And chocolate cream.
I have a few bars at home that I brought back after Christmas.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:21 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Tip No1: If you are going to use a service more than once always tip well the first time - whatever it is for - and then you WILL get better service after that.

I mistakenly gave our hairdresser $40 for two haircuts at $13 each, thinking it was 30, she's been good to me ever since

I sometimes tip the garbage guy to pick up above and beyond, just to keep them sweet, that works well when we do some remodelling, they'll take anything.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Are the bars of Turkish Delight as big as fridges?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:00 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Tightwad!!! I hope you don't eat out! Get your haircut . Ever need a mechanic to look at your car..etc etc.... :scared:
The difference here is that 1) delivery men (persons?) get paid a lot more than restaurant servers; and 2) the restaurant doesn't charge a separate fee for the server to deliver the food to your table. If restaurant servers got a decent wage, you'd be less inclined to tip; that's why tipping servers in other countries is unusual. If the restaurant charged a delivery fee for dine-in meals, then I doubt you would tip, either.

When parties include 8 or more people, it's typical for restaurants to automatically tack on a 15%-20% gratuity to your bill. Do you tip on top of that mandatory tip? Then why would you tip a delivery man when you've already paid a delivery fee?

If the delivery man goes out of his way to install the item for you upon delivery, then it's fine to tip him if you want to. But if installation is included in the delivery that you're paying for, then why would you pay even more money??

As for tipping hairdressers... I've ALWAYS hated that one. I can go to Great Clips and get a $8 haircut (which for me involves little more than trimming off split ends) or I can go to a fancy hair salon and pay $40 for the exact same thing. If the end result is the same, why do the prices vary so much? If I give a 20% tip, then the Great Clips hairdresser would get $2 (which is more than 20%, actually) while the fancy salon person would get $8 -- but expect $12-$15. WHY?? And why do hairdressers need a tip anyway?? The average salary for a hairdresser where we live is about $22,000, so why do they need their salaries padded just for doing what they've been hired to do?? I just don't get it.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:14 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Tightwad!!! I hope you don't eat out! Get your haircut . Ever need a mechanic to look at your car..etc etc.... :scared:
Are you telling me you tip your mechanic? What on earth for? I said I hate tipping, I didn't say I didn't do it . Social mores and all that.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

What's tightwad about it? You pay for a meal then you have to add 15% to the bill, why can't they just get on with sorting out thier food prices and so then if the service has been good you can tip. I hate all this 'regardless of everything you tip' business, it's pathetic. I pay my hairdresser another 15% ontop of the $40 cut, what a pile of crap that is as well. Why can't I just add afew bucks rather than this relentless 15-20% or you die rubbish?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
What's tightwad about it? You pay for a meal then you have to add 15% to the bill, why can't they just get on with sorting out thier food prices and so then if the service has been good you can tip. I hate all this 'regardless of everything you tip' business, it's pathetic. I pay my hairdresser another 15% ontop of the $40 cut, what a pile of crap that is as well. Why can't I just add afew bucks rather than this relentless 15-20% or you die rubbish?
I agree. I was at Champps the other week with my father in law, wife nad sister in law. THe waitress was terrible. She was slow, we had to ask twice for food we ordered but didnt get, I was given the wrong meal and she was snippy the whole time. My father in laws response "Well she's only going to get a 15% tip"
That'll teach her!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:19 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

bleugh
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I agree. I was at Champps the other week with my father in law, wife nad sister in law. THe waitress was terrible. She was slow, we had to ask twice for food we ordered but didnt get, I was given the wrong meal and she was snippy the whole time. My father in laws response "Well she's only going to get a 15% tip"
That'll teach her!
At a diner in Hyde Park, NY at the weekend with my parents my mum was served a stone cold latte with a piece of cellophane floating on the top. The replacement was cold as well and when this was pointed out the waitress got a bit arsey with us, like it was somehow our fault. She calmed down and (sort of) apologised, but when I suggested reducing the tip my Mrs wouldn't hear of it on the grounds that waitresses aren't paid very much. This is what I object to about tipping - I consider it to be a reward for good service, not some kind of mandatory top-up of server's wages that the employer is trying to dodge.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
That'll teach her!
Then your FIL was wrong. That type of service deserves a 0% tip... or a quarter if you like- just to make a point.
I have no problem tipping a good waiter/ess up to 25% if the service is great but when it is not I am not shy about telling the management and leaving no tip- afterall...it is a management responsibilty to ensure good service. One unhappy customer will tell 20 people about their experience... a happy one only 1 or 2.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ironporer
That type of service deserves a 0% tip... or a quarter if you like- just to make a point.
I did that once, tipped a quarter after an awful meal and crap service at Tony Roma's. The food was horrible (and not what we ordered), the waiter just downright rude. So I left him a 25c tip.

As we got into the car the waiter came out and tapped on my window to "see if I had made a mistake" ....My answer was "Yes, I did make a mistake by coming here in the first place"

As we left the parking lot he stood there giving us the 1 finger salute, I almost went back to get my quarter back!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:30 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
I did that once, tipped a quarter after an awful meal and crap service at Tony Roma's. The food was horrible (and not what we ordered), the waiter just downright rude. So I left him a 25c tip.

As we got into the car the waiter came out and tapped on my window to "see if I had made a mistake" ....My answer was "Yes, I did make a mistake by coming here in the first place"

As we left the parking lot he stood there giving us the 1 finger salute, I almost went back to get my quarter back!
That certainly would have warrented returning with him to see the manager. The few times I have had to sesort to that, I have been given a refund and gift certificate for another visit. They usually take that kind of thing quite seriously.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
That certainly would have warrented returning with him to see the manager. The few times I have had to sesort to that, I have been given a refund and gift certificate for another visit. They usually take that kind of thing quite seriously.
Reminds me of the time I was in an Irish bar in downtown Chicago and a surly Irish waitress was serving us.
Had breakfast in a booth but relocated up to the bar to watch some footie. She refused to move the tab with us even when one of my friends explained very clearly to her that we would not be tipping her then on the new bar tab (even though it made no difference to us - total tip would prob have still been the same).
Anyway she was paid in cash for the first tab and as she counted it walking away she realised there was zero tip. She mouthed something along the lines of "F**kin tight yank f**kers". At this point I hadn't spoken and she probably assumed that being yanks we would have been unable to understand her mumblings. She got a bit of a shock when I called her back over to ask her exactly what she said.
To make it even better we made sure that she could see the $20 tip we left the barmaid for the $45 tab run up at the bar.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:50 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Are you telling me you tip your mechanic? What on earth for? I said I hate tipping, I didn't say I didn't do it . Social mores and all that.
are you saying you don't??

For the first time I used a car shop around the corner...I was so gratefull to get my car back the same day I tipped the guy $20....considering my income...that's huge!! Anyway it's worth it....turns out he did do a good job...I hope they'll remember me next time

When it comes to tipping the Brits can be big scrooges I used to be the same and was mortified at the tips my U.S hubby would leave ...now I'm used to it...when I get good service I actually feel good about tipping...and like I said there's always the hope you'll be remembered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.