British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tipping Etiquette - Point #387 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tipping-etiquette-point-387-a-347594/)

Drebin Jan 11th 2006 4:03 am

Tipping Etiquette - Point #387

Tomorrow morning I have Fry's delivering me a refrigerator. I've paid $40 for the privilege. I live one block from Fry's, and on the ground floor right by the apartment block entrance.

Am I supposed to tip the guy (or gal; yeah, likely! :p) who delivers it?

Ta.

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 4:14 am

Re: Tipping Etiquette - Point #387

Originally Posted by Drebin
Tomorrow morning I have Fry's delivering me a refrigerator. I've paid $40 for the privilege. I live one block from Fry's, and on the ground floor right by the apartment block entrance.

Ta.

Not unless she's got big tits.

AmerLisa Jan 11th 2006 4:15 am

Originally Posted by rushman
Not unless she's got big tits.

FFS! :rolleyes:

We had Fry's deliver a fridge and we didn't tip them. I'm sure they expected one though.

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 4:26 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
FFS! :rolleyes:

We had Fry's deliver a fridge and we didn't tip them. I'm sure they expected one though.

Tight wad.

You always tip delivery people..unless they drop your delivery or bang up the walls as they bring it in. Their job is to get it to your address at your door, its your responsibilty to get it inside so if they bring it in then tip them.

They probably expected a tip because loads of people tip delivery drivers for not just dumping it on the doorstep and buggering off.

Drebin Jan 11th 2006 5:33 am

Nah, this isn't to the door. It includes installation. (This one's only a regular fridge, but for the fancier ones they hook up the water supply, etc...)

I'll keep a few bills in my pocket in case the guy does a double-take when he leaves. I hate to seem like a tight-arsed limey, but at the same time I don't want to tip stupidly.

Just Jenney Jan 11th 2006 8:17 am

I'll keep a few bills in my pocket in case the guy does a double-take when he leaves. I hate to seem like a tight-arsed limey, but at the same time I don't want to tip stupidly.

I'm a yank and I never tip delivery men.

Correction: The one exception is pizza delivery drivers -- that's why I always order carry-out instead. :)

You've already paid $40 for the delivery AND installation. I mean, it's not like the guy's going to show up and say, "Hey, you want me to install this for you, too?" You already know he's going to install it, which means HE knows he's going to install it, which means you've paid for it already. You're done.

~ Jenney

ukemigrant Jan 11th 2006 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Correction: The one exception is pizza delivery drivers -- that's why I always order carry-out instead. :)

You've already paid $40 for the delivery AND installation. I mean, it's not like the guy's going to show up and say, "Hey, you want me to install this for you, too?" You already know he's going to install it, which means HE knows he's going to install it, which means you've paid for it already. You're done.

~ Jenney

Exactly! Common sense. I hate tipping. I'm with Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs on this one.

Duncan Roberts Jan 11th 2006 12:04 pm

There were 2 times only times we tipped delivery people. One was when we moved house and they did it in 1 1/2 less time than quoted and nothing was broken. The other was when we had a piano moved which included going down a flight of stairs, they did it perfectly and only charged $175 when the other quotes from about 8 different movers was around $400-600.

britvic Jan 11th 2006 12:05 pm

I dont tip either, especially after paying $90 delivery fee for my new suite :( Gave them a bottle of beer each though.

elfman Jan 11th 2006 12:18 pm

I don't generally tip the blokes who simply deliver stuff, even if it's a sofa or something else that's awkward to lug into the house, but I do offer them a drink. I can sympathise with them because I worked for a while delivering and installing washing machines and other household appliances in Britain and while I never expected money a cuppa wouldn't have gone amiss once in a while, but I rarely got one.

However I did tip the two blokes who installed our new oven a few months back, because it looked like a really fiddly job and they were there a while.

Celtic_Angel Jan 11th 2006 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Exactly! Common sense. I hate tipping. I'm with Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs on this one.

:eek: Tightwad!!! I hope you don't eat out! Get your haircut . Ever need a mechanic to look at your car..etc etc.... :scared:

TRPardoe Jan 11th 2006 12:38 pm

Ta.

When in Rome etc etc etc

HoosierDaddy Jan 11th 2006 1:18 pm

I wouldn't tip for a local delivery of an appliance as that's what the "Delivery Fee/Charge" is for. A pizza normally comes with "Free Delivery" which is why I would tip for that. Think about the poor bugger's basic wage.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 11th 2006 1:29 pm

Tip No1: If you are going to use a service more than once always tip well the first time - whatever it is for - and then you WILL get better service after that.

We always "cultivate" a local resturant by tipping well - not extravagantly just better than average - the first couple of times we go (if its a good place and will return)...you then get instantly known by the staff, who always then try to give a bit extra service.

Tip No2: Be nice to service people. Making their job easy is worth as much as an extra tip to them once you get to know them.

I tipped the furniture delivery lads well when they delivered our new stuff last year, knowing we'd be moving again soon I also got their phone numbers. Then when we moved again I called them direct and they were more than happy to help us pack our stuff for much less than anyone else quoted, and they did it well.

ironporer Jan 11th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney

Ditto...keeps the pizza delivery guys from spitting a greenie into your pizza the next time.

$40 seems like plenty of a tip...let their boss tip 'em