British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   tipping delivery drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tipping-delivery-drivers-529221/)

mellybrown Apr 14th 2008 12:22 pm

tipping delivery drivers

hmmm so we are moving this week, and i know a similar post was done about this but...

who gets tipped?? I read we should tip the people bringing our shipment rom england like $15 each? What about the guys who deliver the furniture we bought and are assembling it...the people who install the direct tv? the ikea delivery man....?

I know this sounds really stupid but i dont want to offend people - and they will know where I live :blink:

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2008 1:49 pm

Re: tipping delivery drivers

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6206202)
hmmm so we are moving this week, and i know a similar post was done about this but...

who gets tipped?? I read we should tip the people bringing our shipment rom england like $15 each? What about the guys who deliver the furniture we bought and are assembling it...the people who install the direct tv? the ikea delivery man....?

I know this sounds really stupid but i dont want to offend people - and they will know where I live :blink:

Me, dish no, delivery guys if its bulky and they take it to where I want and unpack, yes.

JEM3110 Apr 14th 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Mel, I always find this a bit of a grey area too!

In the past I have given furniture delivery guys anything between 5 and 10 bucks depending on what they were bringing. If its something big/bulky/heavy or requires assembly maybe slip them a bit more? I didn't give the Direct TV guys anything when they did our installation as they were a pain in the a**e....

Ray Apr 14th 2008 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6206628)
Hi Mel, I always find this a bit of a grey area too!

In the past I have given furniture delivery guys anything between 5 and 10 bucks depending on what they were bringing. If its something big/bulky/heavy or requires assembly maybe slip them a bit more? I didn't give the Direct TV guys anything when they did our installation as they were a pain in the a**e....

I just say I'm a friend of the owners just there to let them in ..
and give them nothing ..

JEM3110 Apr 14th 2008 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6206885)
I just say I'm a friend of the owners just there to let them in ..
and give them nothing ..

Now there's an idea! I'm gonna try that next time ;)

Folinskyinla Apr 14th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6206202)

Hi:

Do what you feel is right. Last time I moved -- in 1995 [a whole house -- two stories on both ends], I gave the crew a $100.00 in $20's to split as they saw fit.

In 2000, we had a huge appliance delivery prior to remodeling the kitchen [our cabinet maker insisted since manufacturers often make small changes even though the model number remains the same]. This was simply a matter of unloading boxes, albeit large ones, and rolling them into the garage. I tipped $10.

In 2005, had a washer and drier delivered, and they unpacked and installed and moved the old stuff into the garage. No difficult access issues. I tipped $40.00.

penguinsix Apr 14th 2008 7:56 pm

I tip big item guys. If it is heavy or difficult or they assemble it I give them a tip.

Guys doing their daily thing (like DishTV) I don't tip. UPS neither.

mellybrown Apr 14th 2008 9:05 pm

so how am i supposed to go about giving it to them........this is really stresing me out, i dont talk to people at the best of times and am really quite unhappy at having to have strange men in the house grrrr

ok now i sound like a wuss lol :mad:

do i just say thanks and throw it at them, its kind of embarrasing!!!

Ray Apr 14th 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6208508)
so how am i supposed to go about giving it to them........this is really stresing me out, i dont talk to people at the best of times and am really quite unhappy at having to have strange men in the house grrrr

You could alway put it in an envelope ...

Ozzidoc Apr 14th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6208612)
You could alway put it in an envelope ...

and post it toooo....let me think....

meauxna Apr 14th 2008 10:01 pm

Just hand it over when it's time for you to sign whatever they have for you to sign and say 'Thank you so much for your help today'. A big smile and a tip are always well-received.

Toontje Apr 15th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6208780)
A big smile and a tip are always well-received.

You can have the smile, I'll take the tip. :p

Folinskyinla Apr 15th 2008 3:42 am

Hi:

You say "thank you" and have it folded in your hand, hold it out and say "for you." No one will discuss the amount. If they think you are cheap, that is their problem, not yours.

Folinskyinla Apr 15th 2008 3:44 am

Hi:

BTW, if its a hot day, bring out a couple small bottles of cold water or since you are in Atlanta, that brown stuff they sell there called Coca-Cola. Offer it and then give the tip. Not really necessary but awfully nice IMHO.

mellybrown Apr 15th 2008 2:51 pm

arrr off i go to part with my money and spend the aftrenoon with delivery drivers

*shudders*

:sneaky: