Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Wikiposts

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Just had our evening meal out, in California. It was pay at the cash desk. So I went to the cash desk and handed over the bill, which was given back to me with a pen and the helpful advice "You NEED to put the tip on the bill". My wife translated the meaning of "Do I bollocks".

I added a suitable amount but it was not would you like to add a tip, but you need.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
For those not aware, the federal minium wage for staff receiving tips is $2.13 per hour. As others have said, this practice just seems to move the responsibility for paying staff from the employer to the customer.
And I don't mind doing my part.

I will say, the restaurant business is not very lucrative, in general. It's a shitty business to be in - awful hours, lots of risk, etc. I know several people who have lost their shirt at it. So it's not like the restaurant owning class is getting rich off the abused wait-staff (I'm focusing on independent places, not your Denny's, McDonalds, Ruth's Chris, etc)
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait staff are usually the best paid anyway.

In CO for tipped staff the minimum wage is just under $5, but would need to be made up to the regular minimum when tips are added in. It would be very odd if this was an issue.

You get the impression that many people here are insulated from the reality of most peoples lives.

A friend of mine who lost his job is working in Wetherspoons, the equivalent of c$10 an hour, but no tips. Would likely make a lot more with tips.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Varies by state law though. In Oregon waiters must be paid the prevailing minimum wage for Oregon, which is around $9 per hour.
But is that after the tips have been added in, or are those on top of the $9hr?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:42 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But is that after the tips have been added in, or are those on top of the $9hr?
From the people I knew at the brew pub the law made no exceptions. 7-11 or restaurant same minimum. The only drawback for waiters was being let off earlier to save overhead.