Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

I remember reading a similar thread a couple of months ago and I think someone said that if the servers don't get the 15% expected in tips, to bring them up to minimum wage, then the employee has to make it up.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Florida last year and 15% was the requirement, otherwise you were stoned on the way out of the restaurant. It doesn't seem like a choice any more, it's expected.

Off to San Francisco next week and we actually budget this into our trips now, I must have spend hundreds of dollars last year on tips in Florida
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:28 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I was in Florida last year and 15% was the requirement, otherwise you were stoned on the way out of the restaurant. It doesn't seem like a choice any more, it's expected.

Off to San Francisco next week and we actually budget this into our trips now, I must have spend hundreds of dollars last year on tips in Florida
Ha Ha there hasn't been a good stoning in the US for 3 years, do your research
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Ha Ha there hasn't been a good stoning in the US for 3 years, do your research

I disagree, I'm always getting stoned in restaurants ..........
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:39 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, I'm always getting stoned in restaurants ..........
Well I wasn't talking about that kind of stoned, can't argue with you there.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I had no idea about these awful practices - making the waiting staff make up unpaid bills and underpaid tips...

But god forbid that anybody should suggest some labour protection laws....

So a meal out is not so cheap by the time you've added in 20% tip... And how many of us will now worry that even though food might be shite, despite good service, if we don't give at least 15%, the waiter is out of pocket because they have to make it up...?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Wow - I had no idea about these awful practices - making the waiting staff make up unpaid bills and underpaid tips...

But god forbid that anybody should suggest some labour protection laws....

So a meal out is not so cheap by the time you've added in 20% tip... And how many of us will now worry that even though food might be shite, despite good service, if we don't give at least 15%, the waiter is out of pocket because they have to make it up...?
While I understand that the practice of getting staff to make up shortfalls exists; I also know that some businesses get their employees to claim they have to make up shortfalls as a tool to make clients more compliant. Either way is a cynical trick by business to shift responsibility from themselves.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 23rd 2012 at 2:01 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Originally Posted by Bob
So the tax is higher than 7%? Ouch.
Yes. In New York City it is 8.875%....which is why New Yorkers usually double the tax when tipping in restaurants.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many restaurants in Florida automatically add 15% to your bill. You have to watch out for this or you land up paying double tips. I think they do this because Brits aren't used to tipping and often leave without leaving a tip.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:33 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many restaurants in Florida automatically add 15% to your bill. You have to watch out for this or you land up paying double tips. I think they do this because Brits aren't used to tipping and often leave without leaving a tip.
I talk with an indistinguishable accent now to avoid them knowing where I am from Trouble is, they keep getting my orders wrong

Ah well, SF next week :-)
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have family visitors from UK each year and always take them out for dinner. Sometimes, they insist on paying ... and then leave a crappy tip. It's ironic, because they always comment on how incredibly cheap it is here to eat out! "If we were back in UK, this meal would have cost us .... "
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 5:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have family visitors from UK each year and always take them out for dinner. Sometimes, they insist on paying ... and then leave a crappy tip. It's ironic, because they always comment on how incredibly cheap it is here to eat out! "If we were back in UK, this meal would have cost us .... "
More than once this has happened at restaurants that Mrs tonrob and I frequent regularly. I've sometimes feigned an excuse to pop back in and then slipped some extra money into the folder on the table with the check.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When FIL was here, he still thought it was 10%. DH had to enlighten him, telling him minimum 15% and 20% for great service, but at least FIL knew a tip was required here, just not enough.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

For those not aware, the federal minium wage for staff receiving tips is $2.13 per hour. As others have said, this practice just seems to move the responsibility for paying staff from the employer to the customer.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
For those not aware, the federal minium wage for staff receiving tips is $2.13 per hour. As others have said, this practice just seems to move the responsibility for paying staff from the employer to the customer.
Varies by state law though. In Oregon waiters must be paid the prevailing minimum wage for Oregon, which is around $9 per hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.