Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
This, for example, is only worth 75 cents.

http://www.publicasscracks.com/userf...0Crack%201.jpg

You just drop the coins right in as well.
You'd get a dollar for that round these parts.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Since when did we not tip in the UK?? I need to go back and visit all the restaurants I ever visited and demand my tips back if this is the case! Always tipped a minimum of 10% (for good service) in the UK - I just assumed that this was the norm, as apparently 20% is the norm in the US.

Won't tip for terrible service though not matter where I am, and would deduct any 'added gratuity' from a bill if I thought it wasn't deserved.

Oh and since living here, have managed to do my first 'walk out of a restaurant' without paying too, which was very liberating! That was after waiting 30 minutes to be get drinks, or be asked what we would like to eat, followed by being delivered food that was, firstly, wrong, and secondly, grossly overpriced ($28 for 2 crab cakes the size of a hamsters balls?).

Never would have considered kicking up a stink and walking out in a restaurant in the UK, but over here it was surprisingly easy!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Since when did we not tip in the UK??
one born every minute.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Got to disagree with you on this one. As a visitor, "what everyone else does" = local custom and, as with many things, local customs should be considered, respected and, in most cases, followed.
Tbf the point I was trying to make with that (there should have been a new line after the sentence) was since when do Scottish not tip? I ALWAYS tip even if it is a penny for bad times...

[QUOTE=captainsensible;10293158] Since when did we not tip in the UK?? I need to go back and visit all the restaurants I ever visited and demand my tips back if this is the case! Always tipped a minimum of 10% (for good service) in the UK - I just assumed that this was the norm, as apparently 20% is the norm in the US [QUOTE]

My point exactly we DO tip! It really bugged me

Cx

Last edited by Charma1ne; Sep 21st 2012 at 8:32 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and since living here, have managed to do my first 'walk out of a restaurant' without paying too, which was very liberating! That was after waiting 30 minutes to be get drinks, or be asked what we would like to eat, followed by being delivered food that was, firstly, wrong, and secondly, grossly overpriced ($28 for 2 crab cakes the size of a hamsters balls?).

Never would have considered kicking up a stink and walking out in a restaurant in the UK, but over here it was surprisingly easy!
Only once in the UK. About of dozen of us went to an Indian restaurant in Wakefield. They should have easily coped with that small group in a largish restaurant. However, the food came out cold, burnt, wrong, staggered, not at all for some people, and basically crap. We offered to pay a tenner each for the drinks and some food. Manager refused and called the police. The police told us to pay a fiver each and go. They should have taken our first offer!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Since when did we not tip in the UK?? I need to go back and visit all the restaurants I ever visited and demand my tips back if this is the case! Always tipped a minimum of 10% (for good service) in the UK - I just assumed that this was the norm, as apparently 20% is the norm in the US.

Won't tip for terrible service though not matter where I am, and would deduct any 'added gratuity' from a bill if I thought it wasn't deserved.

Your last sentence. I think the Brits on home turf, are more likely to put up and shut up about poor service, poor food, or whatever displeases them at the time and then complains about it when they are away from the restaurant/shop/wherever.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Are we to assume that 7/11 check out staff do not earn minimum wage. or should we tip them too? I am a little confused why some are deemed worthy of extra money and some are not.
(I understand that some wait staff earn <min wage and need tips to get to min wage)

I suppose this does go to the cultural gap. I was talking to my father-in-law, and he knows I am an atheist, and he said that atheists do not get involved in their community and give back. I do not go and help and feed the homeless the way he does. I expect to pay more tax and have the problem resolved in a planed, holistic way and not at the whims of individuals.Tips are not that far removed I suppose, I expect legislation to have minimum wage enforced, and actual costs listed on menus, and not for my individual whims to decide how much someone takes home.
I bet the two of you get along like a house on fire!!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
"15% is a way of showing displeasure". Bollocks it is.
That's leaving a penny on the table, so you tell them you know to tip rather just being a rude foreigner
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My hairdressers gets the minimum wage...so tips make up a large part of her take home pay.
In our old town, at one place, they were paid $2/hr and made the rest in tips...but then had the cost of using the station taken out of their pay too...plus they had to provide their own hair dryer, clippers and hair goop.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I eat out approx 4 times a week, and seek out 'independent', family-run type places (never chains). I eat out largely because I can't be bothered to cook when I'm by myself; I'm not looking for a romantic experience or anything - just good food. I have found several local places that serve good food and are reasonably priced; I can get a decent meal with a couple of beers for as little as $20, and I typically tip about $4-6 which I consider to be a 'good tip'. The most I spend on a 'typical' evening alone is $40, in which case I'll tip around $8.

I tip for several reasons; as a 'regular', I've found that tipping the staff ensures excelent quality service; at one place, the owner brings me a cold beer almost the minute I sit down, which I love. And as much as I agree with others that wait-staff SHOULD be paid more, I'm not going to change society single-handedly and shorting the staff 'on principle' is just not fair to the current people in the business. Anyone who says 'it's not my fault if they aren't paid enough' is justifying their meanness, in my view.

I do change my tipping habits based on two factors - amount of alcohol in the bill, and overall price. If I go out for a special occasion to a fancy restaurant, and run up a $100+ bill, I'm not going to tip more than 15% typically. Giving $15 for basic service for 2 people is, in my view, appropriate. And if someone decides to order a $50 bottle of wine, it's not clear to me why that should warrant an extra $7.50 in the tip. So my strategy is, 20-30% in cheaper places, reducing to the 10-15% range in expensive places.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

This is a useful tipping guide for restaurants:

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm (scroll down for fine dining restaurants)

I also have an App on my phone for tipping - you need to decide which % you want to pay and it works it out for you.

I live approx 40 mins from New York City so often go there for a few hours and stay for dinner. When I first moved to the US I was told that in New York, the custom is when tipping in restaurants to pay double whatever the tax is on the bill, and I still usually do this.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I do change my tipping habits based on two factors - amount of alcohol in the bill, and overall price. If I go out for a special occasion to a fancy restaurant, and run up a $100+ bill, I'm not going to tip more than 15% typically. Giving $15 for basic service for 2 people is, in my view, appropriate. And if someone decides to order a $50 bottle of wine, it's not clear to me why that should warrant an extra $7.50 in the tip. So my strategy is, 20-30% in cheaper places, reducing to the 10-15% range in expensive places.
In cheapo places, you generally include drinks in the tip, in posh places you don't....
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I live approx 40 mins from New York City so often go there for a few hours and stay for dinner. When I first moved to the US I was told that in New York, the custom is when tipping in restaurants to pay double whatever the tax is on the bill, and I still usually do this.
So the tax is higher than 7%? Ouch.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

In this part of the world tipping in restaurants is entirely discretionary...it is not obligatory, nor are customers made to feel obliged to tip. Most people tip according to their level of satisfaction with the service provided in addition to the quality of the food/drinks plus the general ambience of the place, etc.

I've never heard of any non-tippers being either glared at or verbally abused by restaurant staff in this country, and the widely accepted tipping rate for the majority who do tip is anything between 10% and 15% I would reckon.

Some establishments do add a % tip figure below the stated total cost of the meal on the bill but you are quite free to choose which amount to pay, with no obligation to tip......I think in the UK it's illegal to "demand a tip" anyway.

But, as ever, the Americans seem to do everything differently.

We are inundated in this city with foreign tourists from all over the world, and from my observation it is the Americans who seem to be the most demanding, the most difficult and, sometimes, even the most obnoxious in restaurants here in the way they treat waiting staff. Leaving a 25%+ tip would be the least they could do to absolve themselves on such occasions.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

When DD did waitressing for about 4 years at the same restaurant when she was in high school and college, she got pissed off with low/no tippers. She had to deal with a large table about 10/12 and did the best service she could and was running around like a blue a$$ed fly after them and their demands. Grand total of 1 GBP tip. Luckily the restaurant owners treated all the waitstaff really well and often sent her home with food as she was in college then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.