Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Don't forget........some Restauarants take 3% out of your Waiter's/Waitress' Gratuity, if you pay for both your Meal and Gratuity by Credit Card.

I always hand my Gratuity directly to whoever served me, in cash.

Jim.
Yes - that is correct - I always try to leave the tip in cash.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
My daughter waited tables when she was a student too, so I always try to leave a decent tip (usually 20%). If it's really bad service, I'll leave 15%. I would never dream of not tipping someone. I also tip the woman who cuts/colors my hair - although I realize she is paid more than the minimum wage (at least I hope she is).
My hairdressers gets the minimum wage...so tips make up a large part of her take home pay.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:47 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Are we to assume that 7/11 check out staff do not earn minimum wage. or should we tip them too? I am a little confused why some are deemed worthy of extra money and some are not.
(I understand that some wait staff earn <min wage and need tips to get to min wage)

I suppose this does go to the cultural gap. I was talking to my father-in-law, and he knows I am an atheist, and he said that atheists do not get involved in their community and give back. I do not go and help and feed the homeless the way he does. I expect to pay more tax and have the problem resolved in a planed, holistic way and not at the whims of individuals.

Tips are not that far removed I suppose, I expect legislation to have minimum wage enforced, and actual costs listed on menus, and not for my individual whims to decide how much someone takes home.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have worked in a tipped environment and am familiar with Restaurant practices.

Certainly in my state there are 2 minimum rates, ones for tipped staff and one for those who are not. But the tipped have to make minimum normal at least.

Often waitresses are the best paid staff in a restaurant, they can easily earn more than the head cook/chef. I also know that a good bartender in a good drinking environment can beat that.

As far as percentages, well I would say that from what I have heard they have gone down, what used to be a 20% norm is now nearer 15%.

Right or wrong is immaterial, it is what it is.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

In Scotland I always tipped 10-15% or 1p if the service was awful to say I didnt forget to tip you were just bad...In America I tip 15-20%

It used to bug me back in the UK when Americans used to visit and say things like "Oh no we dont have to tip because people from the UK dont tip" like what?!?!? You shouldnt tip or not tip because of what everyone else does you should do it because the service was good or bad!

Each to there own. I just want good service! haha

Cx
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:44 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charma1ne
It used to bug me back in the UK when Americans used to visit and say things like "Oh no we dont have to tip because people from the UK dont tip" like what?!?!? You shouldnt tip or not tip because of what everyone else does you should do it because the service was good or bad!
Got to disagree with you on this one. As a visitor, "what everyone else does" = local custom and, as with many things, local customs should be considered, respected and, in most cases, followed.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Got to disagree with you on this one. As a visitor, "what everyone else does" = local custom and, as with many things, local customs should be considered, respected and, in most cases, followed.
+1
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The percentage that I tip depends on the amount of cleavage on show.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:44 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The percentage that I tip depends on the amount of cleavage on show.
This, for example, is only worth 75 cents.

You just drop the coins right in as well.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
This, for example, is only worth 75 cents.

http://www.publicasscracks.com/userf...0Crack%201.jpg

You just drop the coins right in as well.

Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:51 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just leave this here.
Attached Thumbnails Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?-hairy.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:57 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I'll just leave this here.
You are a bad person.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:49 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
"15% is a way of showing displeasure". Bollocks it is.
$0.50 gets the point across....
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
$0.50 gets the point across....
I thought 1c was the way of showing displeasure?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:59 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I thought 1c was the way of showing displeasure?
... perhaps; but that just proves someone is a tight fisted, diamond pooping a$$hole! It is then best to check the credit card statement for unauthorized charges...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.