British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tipping-%25-creeping-up-25%25-new-20%25-772141/)

Englishmum Sep 20th 2012 1:54 am

Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

I don't know about the rest of the nation, but it seems that in NY the tipping scale is going higher:

http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/09...u-eat#comments :ohmy:

I don't know why employers can't just pay their employees a decent wage; a waiter does exactly the same work to take an order (and deliver to the table) a plate of a vegetarian pasta, whereas at the next table a diner orders the more expensive lobster. It seems to be an anomaly where the tip is based on a % of the price of the meal, no matter what the price of it is.:confused::unsure:

I would much prefer the base price of the meal to be higher and include paying the wait-staff just like pretty much the rest of the world, yet still show appreciation for a job well done by leaving a smaller gratuity.

Adnams Sep 20th 2012 2:02 am

Re: Tipping % Creeping up...25% the new 20%?

I still cant fathom the whole tipping thing in the USA either. They even tip hairdressers, it's crazy. Tipping should be based on choice of the buyer and whether they thin they have received exceptional services. Not as a ind of obligation as it has become here in the US because they get crap wages and if you dont tip you're somehow a social pariah. Topsey turvey world.

md95065 Sep 20th 2012 2:14 am

I thought that New York had been at that level for at least the last 10 years or so ...

RICH Sep 20th 2012 2:17 am

Interesting topic. Having worked in the hotel industry for years in UK but not US, tips were never counted on, but certainly were a large part of the disposable income. Technically they are taxable, but hard to enforce that.

In US it appears that employers have more scope to underpay staff in lieu of perceived tips, and it is a marketing ploy that prices are lower as a result. Before I came here, I had the impression eating out was cheap. Living here, not so much.

tonrob Sep 20th 2012 2:27 am

"15% is a way of showing displeasure". Bollocks it is.

Jerseygirl Sep 20th 2012 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10289991)
I don't know about the rest of the nation, but it seems that in NY the tipping scale is going higher:

http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/09...u-eat#comments :ohmy:

I don't know why employers can't just pay their employees a decent wage; a waiter does exactly the same work to take an order (and deliver to the table) a plate of a vegetarian pasta, whereas at the next table a diner orders the more expensive lobster. It seems to be an anomaly where the tip is based on a % of the price of the meal, no matter what the price of it is.:confused::unsure:

I would much prefer the base price of the meal to be higher and include paying the wait-staff just like pretty much the rest of the world, yet still show appreciation for a job well done by leaving a smaller gratuity.

Funny you should start this thread as hubby and I had dinner not too far away from you this evening. He left a 30% tip...because when our daughter was a student she waited on tables in the village where we live. She worked for one of three very lucrative family owned restaurants. Servers weren't paid a wage...they worked for tips only...part of which had to be handed over to the bar staff, bus boys, kitchen staff etc. Therefore it was no skin off the owner's nose to have many servers working in the restaurant. Some days she would work from 4 pm to 11 pm for $30.

One night a guy dining on his own got up and left without paying. My daughter had to cough up the $100+ bill + 15% tip. Fortunately for her we were dining at the restaurant that night...allbeit after the event. My husband paid the guy's bill and we haven't been back there since. That was the last time our daughter waited on tables.

I can see the arguments from both sides. In the UK the tip is usually incorporated into the price of the meal...so you have to pay whether the service is good or bad. In the US...you can tip according to the service...therefore you tend to get a new best server friend who is sickly sweet.

Giantaxe Sep 20th 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10290072)
Servers weren't paid a wage...they worked for tips only...part of which had to be handed over to the bar staff, bus boys, kitchen staff etc. Therefore it was no skin off the owner's nose to have many servers working in the restaurant. Some days she would work from 4 pm to 11 pm for $30.

Tips + wage (or lack thereof) legally have to be more than the minimum wage.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10290072)
One night a guy dining on his own got up and left without paying. My daughter had to cough up the $100+ bill + 15% tip. Fortunately for her we were dining at the restaurant that night...allbeit after the event. My husband paid the guy's bill and we haven't been back there since. That was the last time our daughter waited on tables.

Putting all the risk of an unpaid bill onto poorly paid staff is a totally obnoxious practice of too many restaurants.

Bink Sep 20th 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10290442)
Tips + wage (or lack thereof) legally have to be more than the minimum wage.

Right, in the UK the servers have to be paid the minimum wage and this can't include tips. I know of people that have been fired because they didn't make enough tips and the restaurant was having to sub them up to the minimum wage.

I've had several 'arguments' with my wife when we've had atrocious service and I won't leave a tip. I feel sorry for the wait staff but if you don't give me the basic levels of service (making sure the order is right and that we all get our meals and don't leave us for 10 minutes without drinks) then I'm not going to tip. On the other hand, if the food is terrible but the wait staff have done their job, I tip the waiter but tell them the food sucks. It's not the servers fault if the food is terrible.

Nutek Sep 20th 2012 12:04 pm

It is not my responsibility to pay for someone elses staffing issues. Pay them minimum wage (or preferably more) as you are legally required to do.

If that means increasing the price of my meal (or whatever), so be it. I dont have a problem with that.
That sounds fine to me actually. If I dont like your prices, I will go elsewhere.

Even the Dunkin Donuts Drive Thru window has a tip jar. Ridiculous.

/Grumpy old tightwad. :p

SultanOfSwing Sep 20th 2012 2:51 pm

As Dwight says:

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.
Seriously, I don't mind leaving a good tip at a restaurant where I have a nice meal and 99.99% of the time always get good service. Usually we leave 20% but often it does end up being 30% or more if we 'round up' the bill for a nice waiter/waitress. At the same time, however, serving staff should be paid fairly so that the nice tips we may leave becomes a bit of extra spending money for them, instead of something they have to rely on. This is especially valid because I have heard douchebag customers say, to a waiter's face "Oh, does that mean we don't have to leave you a tip" after the kitchen cocked something up. Bet the chefs get minimum wage or better, of course ...

In the UK, we still left a few quid on the table after a meal so the tip becomes a nice extra for the staff. Except where my mate worked - they had a communal tip jar. He got a few £10 and £20 tips one night but had to throw them in the jar to split between everyone! That was a bit shite ...

Nutek Sep 20th 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10290890)
As Dwight says:

Seriously, I don't mind leaving a good tip at a restaurant where I have a nice meal and 99.99% of the time always get good service. Usually we leave 20% but often it does end up being 30% or more if we 'round up' the bill for a nice waiter/waitress. At the same time, however, serving staff should be paid fairly so that the nice tips we may leave becomes a bit of extra spending money for them, instead of something they have to rely on. This is especially valid because I have heard douchebag customers say, to a waiter's face "Oh, does that mean we don't have to leave you a tip" after the kitchen cocked something up. Bet the chefs get minimum wage or better, of course ...

In the UK, we still left a few quid on the table after a meal so the tip becomes a nice extra for the staff. Except where my mate worked - they had a communal tip jar. He got a few £10 and £20 tips one night but had to throw them in the jar to split between everyone! That was a bit shite ...

Pretty much this.

I dont mind leaving a tip if it is a true gratuity for excellent service. I DO mind subsidising someone elses shady payroll practices.

Scouse Express Sep 20th 2012 3:48 pm

Many servers work part-time, have no insurance or benefits:thumbdown:

It has been customary to leave a tip for servers in this country for donkey's years.

If you don't like following the customs of this country - Go Back to Blighty.

Last year, I drove a Group of Tight-Fisted ***** mostly from the Midlands area of the UK. They embarrassed themselves, and our Homeland, by refusing to tip anyone.....even a few cents. When Gratuity was included in the Bill, they demanded it be taken off, They said "It isn't customary to tip in England." Well, it isn't customary to drive on the right-side of the road, in England either, but we do it over here.

Needless to say, I didn't expect anything from that Group, so, they got the real basic Tour with no extras, without Restaurant recommendations or extra stops at hidden delights. They got to know McDonalds, Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts Menus really well.

When in Rome................

Jim.

GeoffM Sep 20th 2012 3:50 pm

18% is normal around here. Some bills pre-calculate the tip for you, sometimes with other suggestions, maybe 16% and 20%, can't remember.

I do scale my tips according to chances of returning and service quality, but with the nagging knowledge that the waiter is most likely earning less than minimum wage.

SultanOfSwing Sep 20th 2012 3:52 pm

The main reason I leave 20% is, of course, it is that much easier to work out in my head! In fairness, I round up afterwards to an even dollar amount.

That being said, while I don't mind tipping, I still think those who get my tips should get a fair wage to begin with, so I can at least feel I am rewarding good service, not forcing it to be given, if that makes sense ...

Nutek Sep 20th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10290995)
I still think those who get my tips should get a fair wage to begin with, so I can at least feel I am rewarding good service, not forcing it to be given, if that makes sense ...

Thanks for saying what I was trying to say and messing up. :)