British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Timescale and returning to the UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/timescale-returning-uk-747061/)

Southy_SWFC Feb 1st 2012 7:13 pm

Timescale and returning to the UK.

I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times but with having several bits to my application I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me on things.

Everything with the marriage visa was fine and we got married at the end of October. Finally got the adjustment of status, work permit and advanced parole forms sent off at the end of December. About 3 weeks ago we got letters saying they'd been received and were being processed so I assume all is well with that. 2 weeks ago I had a letter asking to attend the Homeland Security place for biometrics etc so thats all been done.

Now I'm wondering whats next. With my request to go home, do I have to wait for something to be posted to say its been accepted or can I go ahead and book my flights. Originally I was going home for a week and thats what I've put on the advanced parole request but it looks like I'll be going for longer than that now. Hopefully that isn't an issue.

I'm going home at the end of April so I'm hoping nothing urgent comes through (like an interview) while I'm there.

Hopefully this all makes sense, any questions about my situation then let me know. I'll look forward to the responses

Noorah101 Feb 1st 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Timescale and returning to the UK.

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9878697)
Everything with the marriage visa was fine and we got married at the end of October.

K-1 visa.

Now I'm wondering whats next. With my request to go home, do I have to wait for something to be posted to say its been accepted or can I go ahead and book my flights.
You are free to book flights, but you should not travel until you have your AP document in hand. If you don't mind rescheduling your flights, you can book now, or you can wait until you have AP in hand and book then. Do NOT leave the USA until you have your AP document IN HAND. It takes about 90 days after filing AOS to get the AP in hand. If you filed AOS in Dec, you can expect to have AP by about March.

Originally I was going home for a week and thats what I've put on the advanced parole request but it looks like I'll be going for longer than that now. Hopefully that isn't an issue.
That's not an issue. Just make sure you are able to come back to the USA for your AOS interview, if you happen to be outside the USA when the appointment letter comes.

I'm going home at the end of April so I'm hoping nothing urgent comes through (like an interview) while I'm there.
If it does, you'll just have to come back.

Rene

jeffreyhy Feb 1st 2012 7:49 pm

For the avoidance of misunderstanding, you did not request to go home. You are free to "go home" any time you wish, but recognize that one of the things you have requested is to make the USA your home.

What you have requested via the I-131 you submitted is the opportunity to be paroled back into the USA should you leave while waiting for your request to make the USA your home to be approved.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9878697)
With my request to go home, ...

Southy_SWFC Feb 1st 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9878709)
K-1 visa.

You are free to book flights, but you should not travel until you have your AP document in hand. If you don't mind rescheduling your flights, you can book now, or you can wait until you have AP in hand and book then. Do NOT leave the USA until you have your AP document IN HAND. It takes about 90 days after filing AOS to get the AP in hand. If you filed AOS in Dec, you can expect to have AP by about March.

That's not an issue. Just make sure you are able to come back to the USA for your AOS interview, if you happen to be outside the USA when the appointment letter comes.

If it does, you'll just have to come back.

Rene

Thanks for your help.

I think I'll end up going back for less time rather than more to reduce the chance of something I need to be here for happening while I'm away. I'm going back for my brothers wedding so there'll be certain dates that I can't come back here on. Can it be rearranged if needs be? Considering I've requested a certain week to be back in the UK, hopefully they'll not schedule anything for the time that they know I'll be out of the country.

Noorah101 Feb 1st 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9878777)
Thanks for your help.

I think I'll end up going back for less time rather than more to reduce the chance of something I need to be here for happening while I'm away. I'm going back for my brothers wedding so there'll be certain dates that I can't come back here on. Can it be rearranged if needs be? Considering I've requested a certain week to be back in the UK, hopefully they'll not schedule anything for the time that they know I'll be out of the country.

USCIS will not take your schedule into consideration when scheduling your AOS interview date. They will set a date, and they expect you to show up.

It's not a good idea to try to reschedule that important date. Chances are your notice will not get into the right hands at the USCIS office, and you will be considered a no-show at the interview because no one heard otherwise.

Best bet is to return to the USA for that AOS interview date, no matter what.

Rene

jeffreyhy Feb 1st 2012 8:15 pm

:rofl:

"We are the 18,000 government employees and contractors of USCIS working at 250 offices across the world. " The person who schedules your interview is not likely to know that you applied for Advance Parole, or if it was approved, and certainly is not going to know what information you put on the application.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9878777)
Considering I've requested a certain week to be back in the UK, hopefully they'll not schedule anything for the time that they know I'll be out of the country.

Southy_SWFC Feb 1st 2012 8:21 pm

Damn, they don't like to make things easy do they.

Any idea when I should expect to hear of my interview date?

Noorah101 Feb 1st 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9878836)

Any idea when I should expect to hear of my interview date?

A typical AOS case right now takes less than 6 months, from filing AOS to getting approved. If you have to attend an interview (not everyone does), they usually let you know about 4 - 6 weeks in advance. So plenty of time to get back to the USA once you know the date.

Rene

Southy_SWFC Feb 1st 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9878856)
A typical AOS case right now takes less than 6 months, from filing AOS to getting approved. If you have to attend an interview (not everyone does), they usually let you know about 4 - 6 weeks in advance. So plenty of time to get back to the USA once you know the date.

Rene

Oh thats fine then. I'll leave it a while to book my flight back and then hopefully I'll have heard before I go.

Thanks for all of your advice, you've been really helpful.

jeffreyhy Feb 1st 2012 9:06 pm

Easy for who?

Before you answer, be aware that your applications now in progress are but 3 of some 1.8 million* immigration-related applications that are pending. Including another 300,000 applications for naturalization, the total is 2.1 million pending applications.

*from the October 2011 monthly reports, the latest I've seen
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

Regards, JEff

Southy_SWFC Feb 1st 2012 10:55 pm

I understand that there are a lot of applications on the go but it doesn't seem that things are worked on efficiently. Systems don't seem to have changed in a while which takes more time than necessary. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into sorting all these things and for that i'm grateful but I think they're making things harder than it needs to be which passes down to the applicant and adds frustration at an already tough time.

Noorah101 Feb 1st 2012 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9879140)
I understand that there are a lot of applications on the go but it doesn't seem that things are worked on efficiently. Systems don't seem to have changed in a while which takes more time than necessary. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into sorting all these things and for that i'm grateful but I think they're making things harder than it needs to be which passes down to the applicant and adds frustration at an already tough time.

They've actually made things easier! In the not so distant past, the EAD and AP came separately, and folks had to wait for two separate things. Now USCIS combines the EAD and AP into one document, so you'll be getting them both at the same time! That's a huge improvement. :)

Doesn't help you with your specific scenario, but overall they ARE making things easier, in general.

Rene

jeffreyhy Feb 2nd 2012 4:14 am

Exactly. When you have some knowledge you might be able to make informed judgements.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9879140)
I can only imagine ....

craig_sp Feb 2nd 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 9879471)
Exactly. When you have some knowledge you might be able to make informed judgements.

Regards, JEff

That sounds a bit sharp.

Southy_SWFC Feb 2nd 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 9879471)

Regards, JEff

I don't know if you've noticed but I'm on here asking questions because I don't know the answer. Thats generally how questions work.

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2012 1:20 pm

Respectfully, it is your schedule that is making things difficult... nothing to do with "them". :)

Ian

jeffreyhy Feb 2nd 2012 2:20 pm

You are also making commentary, and in this particular case it's the commentary that I responded to.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9880115)
I don't know if you've noticed but I'm on here asking questions because I don't know the answer. Thats generally how questions work.

Southy_SWFC Feb 4th 2012 2:42 am

Today I've had a letter saying my case has been transferred to an office in California due to the amount of cases they've got. Is this usual and is it likely to speed things up?

Noorah101 Feb 4th 2012 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 9883000)
Today I've had a letter saying my case has been transferred to an office in California due to the amount of cases they've got. Is this usual and is it likely to speed things up?

Yes, and yes.

Rene