Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:16 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Hi Everyone,

I am after a practical heads-up, and am asking for your opinions....

There is a chance I can get leave in March 2010 to go back to the UK.

After looking online, I see I can leave the USA whilst processing my application - I just have to be here for the interview etc.

Is it true, that I could alter my date for my interview if needed, or, does this **&* up things?

I'm living in South Carolina - so my service centre is Texas. Would you recommend starting the process now, or would you wait until returning?

Many thanks for your input

Lee

Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
I just have to be here for the interview etc.
Yes... you also need to ensure that being outside the US doesn't negatively impact the "continuous residency" or "physical presence" requirements.

Is it true, that I could alter my date for my interview if needed, or, does this **&* up things?
Yes, it's true. But it could set you back many months and there is *no* guarantee that your notice gets to the right people. They might not know you wanted to alter the date and if you don't show up when they're expecting you to be there, they could summarily close your case and you won't know about it... possibly for many, many months afterwards when it's too late to fix things.

Would you recommend starting the process now, or would you wait until returning?
If you apply now, you might get an interview prior to the time you leave. You might even get an oath ceremony before you leave... but if that happens, you'll then need a US passport to travel and that might throw a wrench into your travel plans.

If it was me, I'd wait... but you must gauge your own risk tolerance.

Ian
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

Based on very recent experiences at Texas Service Center (TSC), I would file the N-400 now. TSC has been approving cases very quickly lately, and people have been getting interviews and oaths scheduled in 3-4 months.

Once you leave the US, specially if you will be living in the UK for a long time, you start having to worry about physical presence and residence requirements, as Ian mentions. You can still file later, but you need to be very careful to demonstrate that you still meet the requirements.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

After looking online, I see I can leave the USA whilst processing my application - I just have to be here for the interview etc.

I'm living in South Carolina - so my service centre is Texas. Would you recommend starting the process now, or would you wait until returning?

Lee

As always, it's hard to change an interview date, especially from afar.

You'll have to do some looking up for processing times.
Your Service Center has nothing to do with that; find your local office here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplay.do

Within a month of sending your application in, expect to have a biometrics appointment. After that, it's just waiting for the interview. Generally, it would be within 6 months of applying.

It's your call, you don't say how long you'll be away.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emartin
Based on very recent experiences at Texas Service Center (TSC), I would file the N-400 now. TSC has been approving cases very quickly lately, and people have been getting interviews and oaths scheduled in 3-4 months.
But Service Centers don't adjudicate the N-400s, right? They just hold them for the DO's interview schedule (and arrange the security checks before that).
Or is it different?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
But Service Centers don't adjudicate the N-400s, right? They just hold them for the DO's interview schedule (and arrange the security checks before that).
Or is it different?
Yes, the local office schedules the interview and decides the case. That was my mistake in referring to TSC, I wrote without thinking (not enough coffee). The N-400 is filed at the National Benefit Center (NBC), not TSC. Recently, in different cities, interviews have been scheduled at local offices 3-4 months after filing with NBC. However, the local office in SC might be longer or shorter.

There was a thread recently on N-400 experiences around the country. That will have more timeline details.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emartin
I wrote without thinking (not enough coffee).
You're not alone. Both Meauxna and I post regularly without taking in enough coffee!

Ian
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're not alone. Both Meauxna and I post regularly without taking in enough coffee!

Ian
Me three!

Rene
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ian
Aww, you're being nice - despite your signature's suffix!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:21 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
"Death before dishonor; nothing before coffee!"
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Don't taunt me... I SO want to steal that line!!!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone,

Lee

Hey, I'm in SC too. I sent my N 400 application in to Texas July 20 this year. I just had my check cashed Aug 17. Still waiting for a receipt. Just to give you an idea of what it might be like in SC.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:03 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for your input

I should have made it clearer, my trip back to Blighty will only be a holiday - I will not have any problems with the residence requirements.

It seems borderline to do it from what I am reading here so far.

Aes, I would be interested to hear your experience - thank you

cheers ya'll!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
And 3 cigs.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for your input

I should have made it clearer, my trip back to Blighty will only be a holiday - I will not have any problems with the residence requirements.

It seems borderline to do it from what I am reading here so far.

Aes, I would be interested to hear your experience - thank you

cheers ya'll!

Timline so far (short, only the beginning!!)
Mailed N400 8/20/09
Priority Date 8/23/09
check cashed 8/17/09
NOA receipt 8/20/09

As far as I can tell, average processing time for Charleston is 5 months. Wait and see with fingers, toes, arms, legs, turn into Gumby, crossed!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.