Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

From the time you left, to your first visit back.

From the time you left, to your first visit back.

Old May 20th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default From the time you left, to your first visit back.

I've been here two years in july and have not travelled back to Britain once in that time. Haven't really been that botherd about it, but we are talking about a possible christmas trip this year. How long did you go before taking the first trip back?.
Old May 20th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the time you left, to your first visit back.

Also, to those who may have been gone for sometime before going back, did you feel like a foreigner when you got there?.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I've been in the US since September 2003 and haven't been back to the UK either. My mother, the only family I really have, is retiring to France at the end of the year, so I don't know WHEN I'll be going back now. Strange thing is that apart from wishing I could have a pint, and taste mushy peas, and go shopping in Leeds, I haven't missed the place at all and I'm in no hurry to go back, even for a visit.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here a year and a half now, but before coming here, waited for K1 visa for a good 6 months in blighty, but was here a year before that as well....didn't really have an urge to go back, obviously I had to as I was being politely kicked out.
When I was back, it was as if I hadn't gone at all really to be honest, picked up where I left off with mates, hanging around and playing lots of footie.
Only thing I miss though really are the impromptu meet up's between university mates that would get together in london for a weekend or whatever, but even those were trickey as a lot of us went around the world.

Another reason though, don't have the greencard yet, and never bothered with AP...but option to head back on the cheap is always there, even if I don't get on that well with my sister.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I came over May 25th 2003 (two years on Wednesday).

I went back April 2004 for my birthday but probably won't be going back again until next year. I don't really feel the need right now.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I think I only waited about four months that first time. But I've been here twelve years now, and in that time I've flown over Britain more times than I've landed there. Last time in the UK was three years ago. Definitely feel like a foreigner there now. My belly can't handle all the grease in the fish and chips anymore.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
My belly can't handle all the grease in the fish and chips anymore.
I know after returning to England after a year in Belgium I tried eating a battered fish and threw up 'cause it was so greasy. I don't think me stomach could handle it now either.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

July 2002 - Arrived in USA
Dec 2002 - Went back for 4 days for my Nan's funeral on 27th December
April 2003 - Went back for 10 days for Easter
April 2004 - Went back for 10 days for Easter
July 2005 - Going back for 3 or 4 weeks, waiting for Visa renewal to come through before I book anything.

I find it really strange when I go back mainly because we stay with my parents and don't have our own house there. When we go to the pub though it's as though we've never been away and it's great just sitting with a beer chatting with friends we've known since we were teenagers. I have to admit even though I always break my heart crying when I leave once I'm on the plane I can't wait to get back to my own home here.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:13 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived on May 15th 2003, and haven't been back yet.

We'll be in the UK for a day in July on our way to France, and we'll spend Xmas this year there.

To be honest, I wouldn't even go back for Xmas if our kids weren't so excited at the prospect. I miss nothing at all about the UK that I can't get here, and my family visit so often that I don't miss them either
Old May 21st 2005, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I've been here two years in july and have not travelled back to Britain once in that time. Haven't really been that botherd about it, but we are talking about a possible christmas trip this year. How long did you go before taking the first trip back?.
I went back after only being here for a few months so nothing had changed, although it was odd being in the UK as a visitor ... you know, not having my own house and a job there made me feel out of place. It's been a year since that last visit, I want to go back, but still feel odd about being a visitor so keep putting it off.

The one thing about that visit that really stuck in my mind was when I first arrived and the feel of cold, crisp air ... lovely!
Old May 21st 2005, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I went back after only being here for a few months so nothing had changed, although it was odd being in the UK as a visitor ... you know, not having my own house and a job there made me feel out of place. It's been a year since that last visit, I want to go back, but still feel odd about being a visitor so keep putting it off.

The one thing about that visit that really stuck in my mind was when I first arrived and the feel of cold, crisp air ... lovely!
Oh Guelder Rose..I am with you...I try and describe that crisp air..lovely....
I went back after 6 months and couldnt wait...i then went back again 6 months later...(each time i went alone)....I smiled from ear to ear as I walked along my familiar street and saw the culture, the people, the realness...where i live now there is no culture..its just seems like people existing and one-upman-ship!
We are renovating our house to sell and move back...even to this day he struggles with it and I struggle with staying. We had a deal..i came here for two years (which was our initial plan)and then he comes there for two years.
There is no love greater than ours but I dont know what the future holds.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:08 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I left it three years before I went back. I'd forgotton how pretty it is over there and how green everything is. I hate the really late spring here so it was lovely to see dafs and trees with actual leaves on!

The only thing I noticed is that in my mum and dad's neck of the woods (St George's Hill) everyone's accent sounded like they were extras on Easties. Must be trendy to talk like you're from norf or sarf London these days.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Originally Posted by sibsie
I left it three years before I went back. I'd forgotton how pretty it is over there and how green everything is. I hate the really late spring here so it was lovely to see dafs and trees with actual leaves on!

The only thing I noticed is that in my mum and dad's neck of the woods (St George's Hill) everyone's accent sounded like they were extras on Easties. Must be trendy to talk like you're from norf or sarf London these days.
Oh god sibsie
I am from yorkshire but i would love a dose of eastenders
Maybe a little of alfie...lol
Old May 21st 2005, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northspoon
I am from yorkshire but i would love a dose of eastenders
www.couchtracker.com or www.uknova.com to get episodes..
Old May 21st 2005, 1:35 am
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I've been here two years in july and have not travelled back to Britain once in that time. Haven't really been that botherd about it, but we are talking about a possible christmas trip this year. How long did you
go before taking the first trip back?.
I arrived in the US on November 1st 1999 and I am yet to go back to the UK. It just seemed that everytime my wife and I started to plan a trip something got in the way. Also even though I do miss the UK sometimes, I haven't had much incentive to go back....... I fell out with my parents because I moved to US and my friends seemed to take every opportunity to come over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.