British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Time of year for new medical plan enrollments... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/time-year-new-medical-plan-enrollments-905922/)

Bob Nov 16th 2017 3:43 pm

Time of year for new medical plan enrollments...

So what's the damage this year for you lot compared to last year?

Ours, has gone up $40 a pay period for the same cover, so it's $520 a month, a $80 increase but cover is going down from 90% to 80%, with Atna. We can shave $20 a month by switching to the Bluecross plan, which is the same, but has better out of state coverage, so we're going to do that. They pay 100% after meeting $6K I think it was.

They were offering a HSA plan this year, quite excited by that as everyone goes on about it. It's $220 a month, but there's a $9K deductible for the family and then they only cover 70% there after and there's no limit. That's shit.

Especially considering, every time a kid has the sniffles, the school seems to want a safe to go to school letter from doc to say they aren't contagious, basically a strep test. Strep test is about $300, plus if you want to go to one of those minute clinics to get one done, they're about $75 a visit. So that's close to $400 a time, about 3-4 times a winter, for both kids.

So napkin maths, that would negate any savings at all and that's before having anything serious. Eldest, is having tummy issues, so I don't think we're going to risk it this year. It's a great plan if you're single, maybe just a couple, but as a family, it really isn't much use.

So quite disappointed by that, but the company would put $1500 a year into the pot. Also, in the small print, there's a $2 administrative fee per person, per month, on top, to run the account. Not heard of that one before.

On the plus side, eye balls are staying the same. $4 plan gets you up to $130 a frame a year and $35 off for polycarb lenses. The $7 plan gets $180 off a frame a year and $65 off for polycarb lenses, plus a few more options, not a bad deal.

Dental, $12 a month plan gets up to $1500 ortho but a $150 family deductible before treatment kicks in and then only 50%. The $18 dollar plan, has a $100 deductible and covers $2500 ortho and a little bit better on crowns and such, covering 65%.

Considering, youngest has had to have a bunch of fillings and multi surface fillings are around $500 a pop without insurance and have a $300 contracted insurance rate, paying $150 a go, has been an expensive year as she has needed 6, though one of them wasn't multi surface, so wasn't very much.

BenK91 Nov 16th 2017 4:18 pm

Re: Time of year for new medical plan enrollments...

Ours has gone up $22 per pay period. Exact same plans as before.

Our dental insurance covers up to $2000 in network and $1000 out of network. Sadly I still need a ton of dental work (around $18,000 last time I checked) and the dentist I see is out of network so that's always a treat. I've maxed out this years allowance so now having to wait til January to get more work done!

Giantaxe Nov 16th 2017 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12383575)
They were offering a HSA plan this year, quite excited by that as everyone goes on about it. It's $220 a month, but there's a $9K deductible for the family and then they only cover 70% there after and there's no limit. That's shit.

Really no limit? I thought that HSA plans had to have a limit and that there is a maximum.

So napkin maths, that would negate any savings at all and that's before having anything serious. Eldest, is having tummy issues, so I don't think we're going to risk it this year. It's a great plan if you're single, maybe just a couple, but as a family, it really isn't much use.

So quite disappointed by that, but the company would put $1500 a year into the pot. Also, in the small print, there's a $2 administrative fee per person, per month, on top, to run the account. Not heard of that one before.

Yeh, that's a terrible deal for almost anyone. Even as a single person I doubt I'd sign up for it. This is why I think you have to be careful with HSAs: there is such variability in possible deductibles/out of pocket maximums.

Another thing I discovered is that that HSA administrative fee can be more if and when you leave the company.

MidAtlantic Nov 16th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12383622)
Another thing I discovered is that that HSA administrative fee can be more if and when you leave the company.

But it's your money and you can move the account wherever you want.

Giantaxe Nov 16th 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12383653)
But it's your money and you can move the account wherever you want.

Yes, you can, but most banks do charge an administrative fee of some sort for HSA accounts. Employers often stump up for these charges - or are big enough to get a bank to waive them in exchange for business.

Orangepants Nov 16th 2017 6:14 pm

Let me tell you about an O-plan.

This year we paid $1200 a month for a silver plan. Next year same plan - $1800.

Only used the damn thing for annuals.

mrken30 Nov 16th 2017 6:26 pm

This tends to be a charge for paper statements. Mine also has a $25 a year fee if you have less than $1000 in the account and not an employee.

We have the option of HSA or HRA, however the deductibles are much lower than you mention, $3000 with max OOP of $6k. The HSA plan is $30 per pay period, so around $70 ish a month.

All our plans have stayed much the same, few changes in RX coverage, slightly smaller vision network.

We are switching to the HMO option this year for dental primarily because the wife needs a crown and the cost is just a $150 co-pay, no deductible.

Total cost this year is just under $50 per pay period for healthcare, vision and dental.

I think most employers quote per pay period, but I may be wrong there.

Bob Nov 16th 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12383622)
Really no limit? I thought that HSA plans had to have a limit and that there is a maximum.

Will have to double check with the missus, but in the flashy brochure, it didn't seem to have a obvious limit, which the other plans had.

Bob Nov 16th 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12383707)

We have the option of HSA or HRA, however the deductibles are much lower than you mention, $3000 with max OOP of $6k. The HSA plan is $30 per pay period, so around $70 ish a month.

There was another option of a slightly lower deductible, but that plan was a per person, of $5K before kicking in, so not much better. This $9K one was an aggregate deductible for the whole family.

I missed what the other difference was, but I think it was through Cigna, which our doctor and dentist don't accept, so wasn't too interested in looking into the details.

SpoogleDrummer Nov 16th 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 12383689)

My plan cost shot up massively but because we only have one provider as an option in my county the tax credit amount shot up too so my plan is actually a couple of bucks cheaper next year.

AndyMan74 Nov 17th 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 12383689)

Gosh that seems quite steep. What family size and ages if that's ok to ask? Is the silver one a do all end all plan?

Cheers

mrken30 Nov 17th 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12384076)
Gosh that seems quite steep. What family size and ages if that's ok to ask? Is the silver one a do all end all plan?

Cheers

Silver plan for me and my family through the exchange is under $1200 with 0 deductible. Of course our ages are probably different.

tom169 Nov 17th 2017 4:26 pm

Unchanged at $50 biweekly for HDHP, $0.45 for vision and $7 for dental. Happy with that.

BenK91 Nov 17th 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12384371)
Unchanged at $50 biweekly for HDHP, $0.45 for vision and $7 for dental. Happy with that.

That's reasonable!

Our HDHP w/HSA, High Dental Plan and High Vision Plan is $130.34 biweekly.

rbackhouse Nov 17th 2017 5:22 pm

$1900 for the year for a High Deductible HSA plan medical + dental + vision for me and 2 kids.

It's down significantly over this years. And I'm also getting $1500 for the HSA account (3rd year running too)