Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time required to complete citizenship renounciation

Time required to complete citizenship renounciation

Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:20 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time required to complete citizenship renounciation

Originally Posted by nethead
IIRC it's something to do with British sailors being fed limes so they wouldn't get scurvy. Something like that.

ETA:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey
pomme, limey. There are worse thing to be called than fruit and veg.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Yeah definitely
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

indeed, thinking of the toss of the coin

As to the OP, I think someone posted about this a couple years ago, saying that it took 2-3 weeks...but then again, that was ages ago, so no idea about now.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wonder, do Americans really call British people "limeys"?
A friend of my fiance calls me 'lime' (d'oh). He's one of these fourth generation Irish-American types who has never been to the 'old country' but somehow still manages to have a chip on his shoulder. He seems to think he is making some kind of political statement. Yawn.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

adrenaline is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in 88 in New York and my mother is a UK citizen, as she was born there. She moved back to Ireland with her parents when she was about 10 months old. I've done a lot of research on this and I'm pretty sure that I am considered a citizen, and I sent everything in to take care of this. If I'm not, I guess they'll let me know that and send everything back. Anyhow, the main reason I came on here is to just figure out how long this process takes and I guess no one knows that, as most of you on here have never considered doing this.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adrenaline
I was born in 88 in New York and my mother is a UK citizen, as she was born there. She moved back to Ireland with her parents when she was about 10 months old. I've done a lot of research on this and I'm pretty sure that I am considered a citizen, and I sent everything in to take care of this. If I'm not, I guess they'll let me know that and send everything back. Anyhow, the main reason I came on here is to just figure out how long this process takes and I guess no one knows that, as most of you on here have never considered doing this.
Do you have to renounce Irish citizenship too?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

adrenaline is an unknown quantity at this point

No, because while I'm eligible to become an Irish citizen through my grandparents who were born there, I am not automatically an Irish citizen because my mother was born in England.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
Damn right get that limey citizenship out of you boy...
Since the term "limey" refers almost exclusively to the English... there is no such thing as limey citizenship.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:06 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since the term "limey" refers almost exclusively to the English... there is no such thing as limey citizenship.

Ian
That answers the question about limey not being used by Americans, very few Americans are aware that they have met any English, as they think we are all Australian, Scottish and Irish.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

That answers the question about limey not being used by Americans, very few Americans are aware that they have met any English, as they think we are all Australian, Scottish and Irish.
thats quite funny lol, us Scots are all thought to be Australian or Irish , and ive had the odd 'are you English' statement hehe
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's what I thought. When the American called me 'lime' I responded: 'It's LIMEY and I'm NOT English!'
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice

adrenaline - I suspect that this won't matter to you, but I believe it's possible, under the circumstances you've described, to reclaim your citizenship at a later date, should you wish to. You may want to take a mental note of this for when you're done with your service. An EU passport can come in very handy.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iray
adrenaline - I suspect that this won't matter to you, but I believe it's possible, under the circumstances you've described, to reclaim your citizenship at a later date, should you wish to. You may want to take a mental note of this for when you're done with your service. An EU passport can come in very handy.
The process is described in section 17 of the Nationality Instructions:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

kayinaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Adrenaline - please let me know how long it took you to get your renunciation confirmation back. My son is having to do the same thing and they're giving him a tight time frame to complete it or they may discharge him. How long to get yours back from UK?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayinaz
Adrenaline - please let me know how long it took you to get your renunciation confirmation back. My son is having to do the same thing and they're giving him a tight time frame to complete it or they may discharge him. How long to get yours back from UK?
kayinaz,

You have responded to a post that's a year old. It's possible that Adrenaline won't come back to check this thread. You can try sending him/her a private message, that way he/she might get a notification to check the PM box.

Rene