British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Time to renew my Brit passport. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/time-renew-my-brit-passport-385532/)

CarlM Jul 18th 2006 12:05 pm

Time to renew my Brit passport.

..and hopefully, for the last time!

Anyone know if there is a maximum period time allowed to renew a Brit passport, prior to expiration? Mine is due to expire in Jan next year, but i wanted to get ahead of the game (and more importantly, i currently have the $180 renewal fee to spare!). Ive read the application, and cant seem to find anything definitive.

Ta muchly. CM

Liquid Jul 18th 2006 12:27 pm

Re: Time to renew my Brit passport.

Just renewed mine in London ready for my new visa - yaha I'm coming back after a 2 year absence!!! - as I did not want to carry 2 passports around with me for 10 years!

You can have as long as you want left on it but they will only add 9 months to your new one. Mine was due to expire in April 2007 and I got it renewed in June. It has an expiration of March 2017 on it now.

Are you renewing / can you renew from abroad?

Originally Posted by CarlM

Anyone know if there is a maximum period time allowed to renew a Brit passport, prior to expiration? Mine is due to expire in Jan next year, but i wanted to get ahead of the game (and more importantly, i currently have the $180 renewal fee to spare!). Ive read the application, and cant seem to find anything definitive.

Ta muchly. CM

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2006 12:29 pm

Ta muchly. CM

I shouldn't think it would be a problem...after all they are making money out of you...and its only 6 mths before it expires. At one time you had to have at least 3 months before the expiry date on a UK PP to enter the US, so I had to apply for mine around 5/6 months before it expired.

mickmills Jul 18th 2006 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Liquid

can you renew from abroad?

yes, look here for details

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25302

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2006 12:47 pm

Just renewed mine in London ready for my new visa - yaha I'm coming back after a 2 year absence!!! - as I did not want to carry 2 passports around with me for 10 years!

You can have as long as you want left on it but they will only add 9 months to your new one. Mine was due to expire in April 2007 and I got it renewed in June. It has an expiration of March 2017 on it now.

As far as I am aware you have to renew it in country you are resident in...I called the UK Embassy and that's what I was told....but there are people here that disagree and say you can get it renewed at any UK Embassy. If you go to the UK Embassy in DC's website it states that PP renewals for US residents should be sent there.

lee_in_nj Jul 18th 2006 1:50 pm

What i do know is you cant get it renewed back in Blighty, say on your hols at the passport office. It does have to be in the country you are resident in, i called and asked when i was over there.

Also make sure you check yout bloody photos before you send them ..they sent mine back for not meeting the requirements (couldnt see my right ear?) which was a real pain.

CarlM Jul 18th 2006 2:05 pm

Yep - can do it all by mail with the UK embassy in the US. On the top of the application it says "You must be in the country where the application is made" and it goes on to say you must still be in the country when they send the new passport... which is a bit daft as you cant leave without it anyways!

Celsius Jul 18th 2006 2:38 pm

Ta muchly. CM

Whadja mean for the last time? Are you going to die some time in the near future? :confused:

CarlM Jul 18th 2006 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Whadja mean for the last time? Are you going to die some time in the near future? :confused:

yep - its in my diary 2008

Sarah Jul 18th 2006 4:27 pm

Ta muchly. CM

I'm doing this myself at the moment.
If you go on the British Embassy for the USA website it gives you the PDF of form C1 which is what you need to fill in to renew your passport. What is really good though, and oh-so British, is that they made form C1 bigger than the standard US paper size of 11.5x8 so when you print it out it lops the top off. Try printing it out on larger 11x17 and it goes all over the place. You can't win.

eepgmik Sep 15th 2006 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I shouldn't think it would be a problem...after all they are making money out of you...and its only 6 mths before it expires. At one time you had to have at least 3 months before the expiry date on a UK PP to enter the US, so I had to apply for mine around 5/6 months before it expired.

I've heard conflicting information about this - speaking to the UK embassy here they said I need at least six months left on my passport to be able to re-enter the US after a 10 day trip (I'm leaving today).

My passport expires in Feb 07 and hence only have 5 months left on it - the last thing I want is to be stopped from re-entering so I've had to make an appt with the passport office in the UK.

This page passport.gov.uk/passport_renewing_when.asp says that you can do it if you're in the UK and make an appt (for an extra fee of course!)

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Martin

Bob Sep 15th 2006 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by eepgmik
I've heard conflicting information about this - speaking to the UK embassy here they said I need at least six months left on my passport to be able to re-enter the US after a 10 day trip (I'm leaving today).

My passport expires in Feb 07 and hence only have 5 months left on it - the last thing I want is to be stopped from re-entering so I've had to make an appt with the passport office in the UK.

if you've a greencard, you don't need to worry about it...

blaze Sep 15th 2006 4:17 pm

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]I shouldn't think it would be a problem...after all they are making money out of you...and its only 6 mths before it expires.

:confused: , she said it expires in Jan, stop trying to confuse me, I told you before, it happens all to easily to me! :p

JAJ Sep 16th 2006 12:35 am

Originally Posted by eepgmik

They were wrong. The US does not have a "6 month rule" for British passports.

For visa-waiver travel:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv.html#niv108

My passport is not valid for six months does this matter if I'm traveling visa free?

With the exception of passport holders of Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino, the requirement that a passport be valid for six months beyond the holders stay in the United States is waived. If your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires. Note: Citizens of Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino, are not covered by this ruling and must be in possession of passports valid for at least six months from the date on which they depart the United States, regardless of their proposed length of stay.

frrussre Sep 16th 2006 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm doing this myself at the moment.
If you go on the British Embassy for the USA website it gives you the PDF of form C1 which is what you need to fill in to renew your passport. What is really good though, and oh-so British, is that they made form C1 bigger than the standard US paper size of 11.5x8 so when you print it out it lops the top off. Try printing it out on larger 11x17 and it goes all over the place. You can't win.

Guess I am back, from wherever I have been. Confucius said "If you don't know where you are going, then you are lost", or maybe it was me, who said it. Maybe, tooooooo much sol.
When you click on the print icon at the top of the pdf, a screen opens, under, page handling, choose to "Reduce to printer margins". The pages will then print correctly.
I just did my renewal, couple of weeks ago, mailed it to British Embassy, via USPS overnight, got renewal back in 7 days. Expensive, but certainly rapido.
Reg. Frank R.