Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time to file and apply for natularization.

Time to file and apply for natularization.

Old Nov 19th 2001, 3:22 pm
Takeo Shibata

Dear all Hi I have a question on the natulalization.

I am a bit confused the two requirement.

1. One can file and apply for natulalization 90 days before he or she has been a
permanent resident of the USA.

2. One has to have reside within the state or district for 3 months.

Does this mean one has to stay one state or district from 90 days + 3 month before
the 5 year after the date on the green card? Or the 90 days and 3 month can overlap?

For example, if one got a green card on 1997 Apr 1st and stay within the USA between
Apr. 1 1997 and Sep. 30 2001. and stay outside the USA between Oct 1 2001 and Dec 31
2001. Then move to the USA again on Dec 31 2002, then can he or she SEND the
application for teh natulalization on Jan 1 2002? Jan 1 2002 is 90 days before Apr 1
2002(5 years after he got green card) and he or she expect to stay for 3 month within
the state on the date Arp 1 2002?

Or he or she has to wait 3 more month to file and send application? Could some body
give me advise?

And how does the amount of time spent outside the USA effects the difficulity for
natulalization?

As long as one satisfy the physical presence requirement (Do not stay outside USA for
30 month or more in total) and the continuous residency requirement (Do not leave the
USA for 6 monthes or more for single trip), one can get teh citizenship without
diffuculity? (Assuming the other basic requirements are satisfied such as no criminal
record, speaking English, and the knowledge and skill to work. and pay tax. etc)

Or the more one stay in the USA, the more chance to get citizenship?

Please give me any advise if you know. I appriciate.

Thank you.

With best regard.