Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tight with time off

Tight with time off

Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tight with time off

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Its all about "work/Life" balance. And not taking time off is extremely unhealthy, bad for relationships, leads to disfunctional kids who dont see their parents, causes numerous stress related illnesses (costing everyone $$$ billions), causes on the job errors and basically wrecks lives.

I've never seen the point of working myself into the ground to make someone else rich so I can have a huge mortgage on a big house I never see and a family who dont know who I am.

Exactly, Karma on its way to this man
Old Jan 8th 2006, 7:00 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan725
Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible?
It's a legacy of America's Puritan history. In America's mythology of itself (which even otherwise intelligent Americans seem too brainwashed to ever question), Americans are so much richer and more successful than the rest of the world (where everyone lives in mud huts and has no teeth) because they work so much harder. If Americans were ever to relax, their prosperity would disappear like leprechaun gold.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road

Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible? I have just taken a week off work - which is exactly half of my annual entitlement. Which is no good to anyone!

Is it proven anywhere that the US is more productive than Europe? Because all I see every day from the depths of cubicle land is people surfing the web, bitching about not getting any time off, or conversely, feeling guilty for taking time off!!

5 years to get four weeks off - seems like a bit much to me. Especially if you change job at some point and it's all of a sudden back to two!

This is probably the single worst aspect of living here for me. Just wondering if anyone else shares my "lazy assed European" approach to life in my desire to get four weeks off!
You're lucky - my husband gets one week a year and in his boss' mind one week equals 5 working days. He also gets 4 of the holidays such as Christmas Day, New Years Day, 4th July and one other which I can't remember offhand. He gets no sick pay. We have been here nearly 3 years now and to be honest by the end of 2005 he was absolutely done in and needed his break - I think it does nothing but harm for his health but that's just my personal opinion. With only his wage coming in the house, trying to get him to take a day off unpaid is just a joke.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 7:57 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible?
Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I think part of the answer has to do with one of the words you used in your question: ENTITLEMENT.
Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
My point is that Americans, for whatever reason, don't seem to feel ENTITLED to a decent amount of vacation. As if asking for more is somehow a sign of weakness, laziness or perhaps greed. Expecting it is considered even worse.

Yet Europeans EXPECT decent vacation time -- that's why you Brits complain when you "only" get 3 weeks' minimum paid vacation every year. You feel entitled to what you get and more. Americans don't.

I'm not saying I agree with this, but that's what I think part of the problem is.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 8th 2006, 8:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar twist on this. I am currently a contractor (though I'd rather be an employee). In theory, I have as much time off as my employer will allow me to take, because I am paid hourly. I make only minimally more than my colleagues who are employed directly by the company, but I pay more for benefits.

I have just taken a week away from work to get married. This not only costs me money, it means I have to fight to get another week away. My employer can fire me for not working if they don't grant the permission. Both my "real" employer and the company I work at, must grant the leave.

Why do I need a week away? To go DCF for my new husband. It would be cheaper to stay here!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:20 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan in Arizona
You're lucky - my husband gets one week a year and in his boss' mind one week equals 5 working days. He also gets 4 of the holidays such as Christmas Day, New Years Day, 4th July and one other which I can't remember offhand. He gets no sick pay. We have been here nearly 3 years now and to be honest by the end of 2005 he was absolutely done in and needed his break - I think it does nothing but harm for his health but that's just my personal opinion. With only his wage coming in the house, trying to get him to take a day off unpaid is just a joke.
My hubby works in downtown Phoenix & is in the same boat. He gets some holidays off, but they are unpaid. We are not entitled to medical insurance yet either, so it's been a bit rough for us. He did take a day off unpaid leave a couple of months ago because our son had a rash while he was on anti-biotics & our doctor told us to come in straight away. So being worried, hubby called in & took the day off unpaid & came with us.

Once we got to the doctors, it turned out it really wasn't that pressing, the rash had already almost gone all by itself. So we made use of the day & went to PHX Zoo. We don't get much time to do things as a family, what with hubby working full-time & attending college in his spare time, so we can't pass up a day off at whatever cost!

He's going to college to become a fireman, one of the perks being more time off to spend with us.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I have a similar twist on this. I am currently a contractor (though I'd rather be an employee). In theory, I have as much time off as my employer will allow me to take, because I am paid hourly. I make only minimally more than my colleagues who are employed directly by the company, but I pay more for benefits.

I have just taken a week away from work to get married. This not only costs me money, it means I have to fight to get another week away. My employer can fire me for not working if they don't grant the permission. Both my "real" employer and the company I work at, must grant the leave.

Why do I need a week away? To go DCF for my new husband. It would be cheaper to stay here!
Congratulations!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
So we made use of the day & went to PHX Zoo.
Welcome to my side of town. I live near the Papago Buttes. Might be buying in your neck of the woods this year though. Money goes further in Glendale than down here or anywhere in the snobby part of Snottsdale.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Welcome to my side of town. I live near the Papago Buttes. Might be buying in your neck of the woods this year though. Money goes further in Glendale than down here or anywhere in the snobby part of Snottsdale.
I bet! Right now we live in the Arrowhead Ranch area, we only rent, but we are looking to buy as close to this area as we can possibly afford. I hate Scottsdale, I know one girl that lives there & she's money money money. The only other interaction that I've had with the area is the nightclubs & they're exactly the same way too!!! Most Scottsdale people there think they have class, you know, class that Brits actually have!!!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I bet! Right now we live in the Arrowhead Ranch area, we only rent, but we are looking to buy as close to this area as we can possibly afford. I hate Scottsdale, I know one girl that lives there & she's money money money. The only other interaction that I've had with the area is the nightclubs & they're exactly the same way too!!! Most Scottsdale people there think they have class, you know, class that Brits actually have!!!
I live in the south, but work in the north and love it here, but maybe thats because I live right on the Tempe/Phoenix border. But it's just too damn expensive here to upgrade your housing.

Anyhoo, I'm off to Glendale now to watch the Coyotes play.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
My point is that Americans, for whatever reason, don't seem to feel ENTITLED to a decent amount of vacation. As if asking for more is somehow a sign of weakness, laziness or perhaps greed. Expecting it is considered even worse.

Yet Europeans EXPECT decent vacation time -- that's why you Brits complain when you "only" get 3 weeks' minimum paid vacation every year. You feel entitled to what you get and more. Americans don't.

I'm not saying I agree with this, but that's what I think part of the problem is.

~ Jenney
I believe it's called progress.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:55 am
Back where I belong!

I live in the south, but work in the north and love it here, but maybe thats because I live right on the Tempe/Phoenix border. But it's just too damn expensive here to upgrade your housing.
How right you are, we're just trying to get onto the first rung of the ladder.

Anyhoo, I'm off to Glendale now to watch the Coyotes play.
Lucky B@stard!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lucky B@stard!!!
I'm not so sure. They sucked!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:59 am
Back where I belong!

I'm not so sure. They sucked!
Awww, that's a shame. Although it doesn't bother me too much, I only go for the fights!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:57 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

I actually have to accrue/earn my leave in my first year of work and use it in the following. The vacation year is July-June and I started this job in October so I will have something like 11.5 days to use from July. If I had worked from July I would have got 3 weeks. This concept of having to earn leave is so weird to me. In the UK, you just get pro-rated leave when you start and in theory you can take it straightaway. So not only do I not have much leave but I can't take it for another 6 months!

Anyone else have to accrue leave?

I agree. It's the single worst thing about living in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.