Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thousand Oaks, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thousand Oaks, California

Originally Posted by dollface
I'm torn too Sal UK or US I know i've done my time in Canada - winters too long for me amongst other stuff.
It's very hard to advise - you could love it or be walking into another world of pain. Is it a good job offer (I presume transfer), are there any opportunities back home?
Originally Posted by N1cky
and virtually deserted due to the crap weather and rotting wildlife
People seem to like Carpinteria, Santa Barbara seems OK.

PS The kids have just come in from school, I asked them if it's good for teenagers here. My daughter said, "The guys say the Thousand Oaks girls are HOT"

Last edited by Sally Redux; Feb 28th 2011 at 10:41 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:41 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's very hard to advise - you could love it or be walking into another world of pain. Is it a good job offer (I presume transfer), are there any opportunities back home?

People seem to like Carpinteria, Santa Barbara seems OK.
Only thinking about it for now - transfer very probable in the future - job opportunity better in TO - I feel very mixed.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Only thinking about it for now - transfer very probable in the future - job opportunity better in TO - I feel very mixed.
Have you visited?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:13 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Have you visited?
That will happen April/May time...........
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That will happen April/May time...........
That will give you more of an idea - maybe try to see some schools - let me know if I can help with anything.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:28 pm

That will give you more of an idea - maybe try to see some schools - let me know if I can help with anything.
Thank Sal so Moorpark etc bush fire country?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:33 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Sal so Moorpark etc bush fire country?
Yes. I don't know what kind of house you would be looking at, if you are going to be in a house in the middle of an estate you'll be fine. It's the ones that have the lovely views that potentially have the problems.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:34 pm

Yes. I don't know what kind of house you would be looking at, if you are going to be in a house in the middle of an estate you'll be fine. It's the ones that have the lovely views that potentially have the problems.
Isn't that just typical! Do you love living in California?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:48 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that just typical! Do you love living in California?
Oh yes.

Er, tricky question. I didn't like LA, I lived in Woodland Hills very close to Sally. I found it soulless, LA is not really a city, but lots of cities running into each other. Most places don't feel like they have anything unique to offer, you just go from 1 city to the next seeing the same shops in the same malls, and the same chain restaurants and grocery stores. I hated having to go everywhere in the car, and couldn't really cope with the excess heat in the summer months.

There are some fantastic things to do in LA, but to get to Downtown for instance would take a minimum of 1 hour (20 miles away), possibly 2 hours, from TO you are looking at another 20 minutes. I found by the time we had organized ourselves to do something on a weekend, it was already too late and too hot to bother.

And mainly I found it really hard to make friends there.

I'm now in the Bay Area in a small city with a high street with restaurants and shops I can walk to. People are friendlier, Mums at school, neighbors, just people I see walking the dog.

So, now I really like living in California, I didn't like living in LA.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:54 pm

Oh yes.

Er, tricky question. I didn't like LA, I lived in Woodland Hills very close to Sally. I found it soulless, LA is not really a city, but lots of cities running into each other. Most places don't feel like they have anything unique to offer, you just go from 1 city to the next seeing the same shops in the same malls, and the same chain restaurants and grocery stores. I hated having to go everywhere in the car, and couldn't really cope with the excess heat in the summer months.

There are some fantastic things to do in LA, but to get to Downtown for instance would take a minimum of 1 hour (20 miles away), possibly 2 hours, from TO you are looking at another 20 minutes. I found by the time we had organized ourselves to do something on a weekend, it was already too late and too hot to bother.

And mainly I found it really hard to make friends there.

I'm now in the Bay Area in a small city with a high street with restaurants and shops I can walk to. People are friendlier, Mums at school, neighbors, just people I see walking the dog.

So, now I really like living in California, I didn't like living in LA.
I've heard alot of good things about the Bay Area, I have family in Martinez. Sadly TO is where the work is

Everything you've just stated about LA area is exactly how I feel about here - except the friends, I have a few here - all but 2 are Brits.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost everywhere around here has a high fire risk. Getting caught in a big brush fire shortly after we moved here really rattled me.

Don't forget the earthquakes.

I would agree with Nicky, bit dead and soulless out this way. I liked it better when we lived in mid-Wilshire, but we moved out here for schools. I think somewhere like Ventura would have more of the individual/small town feel.

Most people agree it's hard to make friends here (LA).
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:59 pm

Almost everywhere around here has a high fire risk. Getting caught in a big brush fire shortly after we moved here really rattled me.

Don't forget the earthquakes.

I would agree with Nicky, bit dead and soulless out this way. I liked it better when we lived in mid-Wilshire, but we moved out here for schools. I think somewhere like Ventura would have more of the individual/small town feel.

Most people agree it's hard to make friends here (LA).
Well you're really selling the place to me now why is it hard to make friends Sal? whats up with the folks? are there many Brits there?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:04 am

I've heard alot of good things about the Bay Area, I have family in Martinez. Sadly TO is where the work is

Everything you've just stated about LA area is exactly how I feel about here - except the friends, I have a few here - all but 2 are Brits.
It's not a bad place, its just not what I want out of life. I work with people who have lived in TO all their life who think it is the best place on earth. They go home from work everyday, bbq or eat at a chain restaurant and are in bed for 10pm. They spend their weekends either getting up at 5am to go for a run, or doing nothing but sit indoors to keep out of the heat. Some people have never been to The Getty, or the Farmers Market, to go to DisneyLand they have to book a hotel for the night as everything is too far away. To me these are the people TO is perfect for.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well you're really selling the place to me now why is it hard to make friends Sal? whats up with the folks? are there many Brits there?
I'm actually being really positive

It's known as the land of fruits and nuts Botox, implants, exercise, self.

There are actually a lot of Brits in Thousand Oaks mainly because of the Pharma companies, that might make the transition easier for you. I know a few at Amgen and Baxter.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not a bad place, its just not what I want out of life. I work with people who have lived in TO all their life who think it is the best place on earth. They go home from work everyday, bbq or eat at a chain restaurant and are in bed for 10pm. They spend their weekends either getting up at 5am to go for a run, or doing nothing but sit indoors to keep out of the heat. Some people have never been to The Getty, or the Farmers Market, to go to DisneyLand they have to book a hotel for the night as everything is too far away. To me these are the people TO is perfect for.
Yep sounds familiar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.