British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thousand Oaks, California (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thousand-oaks-california-707204/)

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:22 am

Re: Thousand Oaks, California

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209143)
Oh, they don't laugh at themselves.

Move to Calabasas, hubby would only have a 20 minute drive to work and you could spend your days at The Sagebrush Cantina with Sally complaining about the locals.

:thumbup: :beer: :cry_smile:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209153)
:thumbup: :beer: :cry_smile:

eh what was the :cry_smile: for????:lol:

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209148)
:lol: thought Sal was working?

How is Malibu Beach - as a beach I mean, not to live not won that lottery yet!

Most of Malibu is private beaches belonging to stars. There are state beaches along to Santa Monica, we usually go down there, it's nice.

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209150)
yeah, they are a good company and hubs likes them alot. TO homes look like they could be a bit expensive too, especially with a pool on a nice street.

Prices are in free-fall at the moment. Check what the places are actually going for on Zillow.

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209158)
eh what was the :cry_smile: for????:lol:

That was for missing Nicky :(

the Sagebrush was our 'local'.

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209144)
Plastic people - great!:lol: did you like the UK N1cky?

Yes, parts of it, but wasted time telling myself how much better America would be:lol:

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209148)
:lol: thought Sal was working?

How is Malibu Beach - as a beach I mean, not to live not won that lottery yet!

It's nice, it can get very busy though.

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209150)
yeah, they are a good company and hubs likes them alot. TO homes look like they could be a bit expensive too, especially with a pool on a nice street.

Will you be renting or buying? We rented the same house for the 2.5 years we were there, we had a good size house with a pool on a nice street and paid the equivalent of $1 per sq ft, seemed reasonable to me. We could have got something much cheaper but not as nice. If we had gone further out TO way we could have got something much bigger for the same price also.

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209163)

:( well if I move down, we can hook up for a drink and a good greet!:lol:

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209163)

I'm sorry luv, I miss it too:wub::drinkwine:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209168)
Yes, parts of it, but wasted time telling myself how much better America would be:lol:

It's nice, it can get very busy though.

Will you be renting or buying? We rented the same house for the 2.5 years we were there, we had a good size house with a pool on a nice street and paid the equivalent of $1 per sq ft, seemed reasonable to me. We could have got something much cheaper but not as nice. If we had gone further out TO way we could have got something much bigger for the same price also.

Well depends - If I get there and can only stomach 2 years or so, they we may rent and $1 per sq ft is great! if longer and we had to put down roots the we'd buy. Are there alot of foreclosures?

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209169)
:( well if I move down, we can hook up for a drink and a good greet!:lol:

Aye lassie :) :cry_smile:

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209172)
I'm sorry luv, I miss it too:wub::drinkwine:

:wub:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209176)
Aye lassie :) :cry_smile:

:wub:

:lol::(:lol:

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209174)
Are there alot of foreclosures?

2 on our street alone.

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209185)
2 on our street alone.

it's sad - but someone has to benefit - banks don't want them.

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209187)
it's sad - but someone has to benefit - banks don't want them.

It certainly seems like a good time to buy, assuming they will rise again eventually.

If you did decide on Newbury Park, you get quite a bit for your money ( relative to closer into LA).

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209192)
It certainly seems like a good time to buy, assuming they will rise again eventually.

If you did decide on Newbury Park, you get quite a bit for your money ( relative to closer into LA).

Is it nicer there or TO? I'd be scared that if I bought and hated it I couldn't get the money out to go back to UK.

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:44 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209195)
Is it nicer there or TO? I'd be scared that if I bought and hated it I couldn't get the money out to go back to UK.

It's all the same. What part of the UK are you from?

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:46 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209200)

Newbury Park feels more like the back of beyond though I think. You expect to see a T Rex march over the hill :lol:

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:46 am

Did ye no catch oor Scottish banter? :lol:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:47 am

Edinburgh - nice shops, restaurants/bars alot of them different, not all same old strip malls with chain restaurants and souless everything else:) mind you the girls with the fake tans and nails would work in LA:lol:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209204)
Newbury Park feels more like the back of beyond though I think. You expect to see a T Rex march over the hill :lol:

Blimey just shoot me now:lol:

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209207)
Edinburgh - nice shops, restaurants/bars alot of them different, not all same old strip malls with chain restaurants and souless everything else:) mind you the girls with the fake tans and nails would work in LA:lol:

Argh, I did know that. One of my favorite places in the world:thumbsup:. I was going to do some clever comparison to explain the non-difference between TO and Newbury Park (like Whitby and Filey are the same place), but it doesn't work for such a beautiful city.

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:52 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209210)

At least you'll be pleasantly surprised when you visit :lol:

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209204)

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209210)

We need to be more encouraging Sally, post pictures of the beautiful people, we need to get you a fwiend

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:54 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209216)
Argh, I did know that. One of my favorite places in the world:thumbsup:. I was going to do some clever comparison to explain the non-difference between TO and Newbury Park (like Whitby and Filey are the same place), but it doesn't work for such a beautiful city.

:cry_smile:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9209217)
At least you'll be pleasantly surprised when you visit :lol:

yeah a quick trip to the nearest outlet mall then straight on to Rightmove.co.uk :rofl:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209218)
We need to be more encouraging Sally, post pictures of the beautiful people, we need to get you a fwiend

Not only will I live in Stepford but I'll be Norman Nae Mates as well:ohmy::lol:

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209226)
yeah a quick trip to the nearest outlet mall then straight on to Rightmove.co.uk :rofl:

I really shouldn't be making light of your situation - but you seem to have got the idea :rofl:

N1cky Mar 1st 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9209226)

Now, Outlet Malls. That is something the place has got going for it, Camarillo Outlet Malls:thumbsup:

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209235)
Now, Outlet Malls. That is something the place has got going for it, Camarillo Outlet Malls:thumbsup:

Yep they are pretty good :thumbsup:

dollface Mar 1st 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9209235)

I could take a trip there - but not daily!

Sally Redux Mar 1st 2011 1:12 am

I think your girls are still in elementary school? You would probably enjoy doing some volunteering there. Amgen I think has some social events. As Nicky said, the traffic makes it a bit of a haul to downtown but it's doable, so you have concerts/museums. Santa Barbara, Pasadena, Santa Monica and Venice are nice for day trips. Beaches are close. There are hiking trails (just watch out for rattlesnakes and ticks). Vegas and San Francisco are about 6 hours away.

SDDep Mar 7th 2011 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9208939)
Thanks for the input - I guess Moorpark/Newbury Park etc is more of the same??? what about Ventura itself?

I think for a while I could ignore the twee if the crime is low, lots for kids to do, good schooling and close to a good beach. Maybe some work for me on a part time basis:)

If you are still looking, you can PM me, my wife is from Camarillo, all her family are still up there, including a sister in Ventura itself. I love the place...for the most part...except Oxnard...blah.