British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thousand Oaks Ca (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thousand-oaks-ca-870025/)

Scarletino Jan 4th 2016 9:54 am

Thousand Oaks Ca

I am moving to LA area in June 2016, we are looking at Thousand Oaks or possibly a Woodland Hills as possible places to live, any experiences would be brilliant? Background-we have children Elementary/Middle school age so schools are a major consideration, I am also hoping I can make friends although I know that isn't always that easy.

S Folinsky Jan 4th 2016 6:49 pm

Re: Thousand Oaks Ca

Originally Posted by Scarletino (Post 11827402)
I am moving to LA area in June 2016, we are looking at Thousand Oaks or possibly a Woodland Hills as possible places to live, any experiences would be brilliant? Background-we have children Elementary/Middle school age so schools are a major consideration, I am also hoping I can make friends although I know that isn't always that easy.

BTW, where will you be working?

On good schools, I believe that district statistics are not really all that helpful. Quite often, one has to know how to take advantage of the resources that are there.

There are also many many questions re values and life style.

That said, several of my cousins live in the "T.O" area and they have liked it a lot. However, they do admit that it is somewhat distant from a lot of things they like.

dj6372 Jan 4th 2016 11:10 pm

Give us a bit more info, and us Cali types might be able to help

californiachick Jan 5th 2016 12:59 am

I highly recommend moving more towards Thousand Oaks, because Woodland hills is nice but in the LA Unified school district which isn't great. We live 10 x mins from Woodland Hills in Agoura Hills, which puts us in the Las Virgenes school district which is much better, check out: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for information on the schools ans districts, i found this really useful. I know how scary it can be to chose a new school in a new county, but please be assured my kids fitted in great, better than i could have imagined and i have met lots of great people (US & British) so I am sure you will have no problems making friends :)

californiachick Jan 5th 2016 1:00 am

I highly recommend moving more towards Thousand Oaks, because Woodland hills is nice but in the LA Unified school district which isn't great. We live 10 x mins from Woodland Hills in Agoura Hills, which puts us in the Las Virgenes school district which is much better, check out: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for information on the schools ans districts, i found this really useful. I know how scary it can be to chose a new school in a new county, but please be assured my kids fitted in great, better than i could have imagined and i have met lots of great people (US & British) so I am sure you will have no problems making friends :)

Scarletino Jan 5th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by californiachick (Post 11828242)

Thank you, that's really helpful. We know Woodland Hills a little better than TO but I was aware that the school situation isn't as good there so moving closer to TO sounds like a better option. That's really reassuring re your kids fitting into school-it is such a big worry! Mine are sociable and confident but am still concerned about them finding good friends at school.

Disenchanted Jan 5th 2016 2:51 pm

Ventura County. Simi Valley. Oak Park has an excellent high school.

julymermaid Mar 1st 2016 1:22 pm

Hello

We are moving to Thousand Oaks in July this year too. I have a four year old in Reception and schools will be a major consideration for us as well. Did you manage to get any more information on preferred schools in the area? If yes, please can you share.
I've joined this forum only today so any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks !!

Scarletino Mar 2nd 2016 5:59 pm

Hi!
Apologies for the delay in replying. I have narrowed our search down to Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks and Oak Park in terms of where to live. I've basically been using Trulia to find suitable homes and then using that to check that the 'allocated school' is a good one. Most schools in TO seem to be very good to be honest, how far have you got with your research? Will you be renting?

julymermaid Mar 2nd 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Scarletino (Post 11884683)
Hi!
Apologies for the delay in replying. I have narrowed our search down to Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks and Oak Park in terms of where to live. I've basically been using Trulia to find suitable homes and then using that to check that the 'allocated school' is a good one. Most schools in TO seem to be very good to be honest, how far have you got with your research? Will you be renting?

Well done you! :)
We're just starting our search to be honest. I haven't a clue where to look but found some properties in Trulia which seem to be in Westside village. Any idea if it's a good location? We will be renting and are looking for a 3-4 bed house ideally. We were looking at elementary schools as DS is 4 and currently in reception. I realise he'll be a year ahead when we move which is a bit worrying as we plan to return in a few years and wouldn't want him to struggle too much on his return. So much to get done but I'm looking forward to it all the same :). Did you have any specific schools in mind ?

Scarletino Mar 2nd 2016 6:28 pm

From what I've read, Westlake Village is a really lovely and affluent area and quite family friendly if a little 'Stepford Wives' but as I said that is just coming from the limited amount of information I've gleaned online 😬 Have you been to TO before? We did a few drive arounds while we were in LA last year. I've got 3 children, because of starting school a year later in the US the eldest two will be in elementary (the eldest for only one year) and my youngest will start kindergarten (school) next year..I think 🤔

julymermaid Mar 2nd 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scarletino (Post 11884706)
From what I've read, Westlake Village is a really lovely and affluent area and quite family friendly if a little 'Stepford Wives' but as I said that is just coming from the limited amount of information I've gleaned online 😬 Have you been to TO before? We did a few drive arounds while we were in LA last year. I've got 3 children, because of starting school a year later in the US the eldest two will be in elementary (the eldest for only one year) and my youngest will start kindergarten (school) next year..I think 🤔

Omg ... Stepford Wives ! 😄... I've been pretty much all over CA and just not TO ... We were not expecting to have to move there so soon at all ... My husband joined a new firm just last year and the earliest we expected to move was 2017 or 2018 ... ! I'm working at the moment and will likely quit so it's an extended sabbatical of sorts for me. We're planning to make a trip before moving bag and baggage to shortlist a rental home and sort out school and I'll likely move with DS a few months after DH. You're lucky you've had a chance to visit - I'm making do with Google Earth for now 😁... Good luck with it all - especially regarding schools... Do let me know which school you decide on eventually - it's probably our biggest concern at the moment.
Thanks!

KullyB Mar 10th 2016 12:44 pm

Hi, im looking to move to just north of TO in August, I'm really interested in the schools that are within TO. The plan is for me to rent a place around that area until our home is ready in Jan (when my husband would join us). My major concern is getting them into a good school. The Elementary schools that are assigned to our Moorpark home are listed as 8/10 rather than the 10 ratings most schools in TO get.
I have been told that my 2nd daughter would need a TK place as she is not 5 till end of September. I think my eldest would be in grade 3 as she's 8 before Sept.
I would be really grateful to get some advice about TK & which schools are best overall.
How do I improve my chances of getting the girls into a school the're not assigned to?

N1cky Mar 10th 2016 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by KullyB (Post 11891498)
Hi, im looking to move to just north of TO in August, I'm really interested in the schools that are within TO. The plan is for me to rent a place around that area until our home is ready in Jan (when my husband would join us). My major concern is getting them into a good school. The Elementary schools that are assigned to our Moorpark home are listed as 8/10 rather than the 10 ratings most schools in TO get.
I have been told that my 2nd daughter would need a TK place as she is not 5 till end of September. I think my eldest would be in grade 3 as she's 8 before Sept.
I would be really grateful to get some advice about TK & which schools are best overall.
How do I improve my chances of getting the girls into a school the're not assigned to?

I work with a number of people who live in Moorpark, most people seemed to think elementary was fine, but lots transfer into Westlake High School. I don't know of anything that improves your chances of transferring.

Is there a reason you need to be in Moorpark rather than a school district you actually want to be in?

I take the ratings on Great Schools with a pinch of salt, my daughter has been in a 10 school, and I thought it was crap.

KullyB Mar 11th 2016 9:55 pm

Thx for that insight into the ratings. My husband really wants a new build that will be complete in Jan 2017 in Moorpark, so I think I'm going to go with the assigned 8/10 school for that development, & rent from Aug anywhere around there, to ensure the girls start the school year in the school they will be able to continue with. I'v called the school & they were happy to arrange a time for me & the girls to view the school. I had also called the 10/10 who said they don't pre book such tours- were generally not interested.