Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Maine for a UK Family

Thoughts on Maine for a UK Family

Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:14 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thoughts on Maine for a UK Family

I've posted a few questions here from moving to Australia, Canada and the US and have sought information on 1-2 locations in each of those countries.

In about a year's time, my husband may be able to take an overseas transfer, along with a possible promotion, with his job.
Although we love the UK and are very happy here, both my husband and I (pre-children), loved to travel both before and after meeting each other. We've been to, (together and separately), Canada, the US, Bahamas, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, France, Austria, Germany, Morocco, Turkey, Cyprus...and a few others. He's studied in Spain, and he is American and we both live in the UK. We've lived in Texas and we've both also studied in Maine.

We now have three children and haven't been able to travel in 6 years apart from once to the US and 4 times to France. We
Love experiencing new places and miss travelling and having an adventure.

So that's our background! We're thinking of relocating to another country (with VERY careful consideration) so the children can experience a different way of life/people/adventures...and we can too.

So...Maine. I can't imagine there are many British expats there! Would love to hear from any that are. We are looking at around the Portland area (Cumberland County area), North Yarmouth particularly as it seems they have good schools there.
I saw a forum post on topix.com (I think it was?) where a British person asked about relocating to Maine and residents of Maine who replied absolutely slated the place. They said - too cold, the people hate outsiders, too many drugs, not enough work, poor education and ridiculous taxes. It was pretty much 9/10 people who had these views. My question is, if there are any expats living there, how do you find it there? Also, were these comments more than likely for anyone living further north and possibly manual labourers do you think? I can imagine if you're a blue collar worker, working further north it would be a different experience to a white collar worker working down south.

Crime wise...are drugs really a major issue there or just more a problem "behind closed doors?" It seems a safe state - ranked second. But mid table for gun deaths - is this again something that's not apparent for the average person going about their business? Do you hear much of home invasions in Maine? And if so, is that something more for those living close to the city or does it include the rural areas close to a city also?
My husband is a white collar worker and I THINK Cumberland county looks like a nice, safe area. Am I right?
And is it a nice place to bring up children? We were hoping to get them horse riding, kayaking, and skiing. They want to play Little League and we're quite a sociable family who like to make friends, (but we are also VERY content with a quiet home life hence looking at a more rural area). Basically, we like a home life but like to have the option of going out if we feel like it. We thought Yarmouth/North Yarmouth offered a great combination of this - more of a rural area but close to Portland.

Finally, any thoughts on "outsiders" would be great. I have to say, I did have a couple people basically tell me they hated me as I was from the uk But most people I met were really friendly. My husband likewise had a few people dislike him for being from out of state which seems bizarre but it was true. We went to the University of Southern Maine at the time.
Anyway Thoughts please! Many thanks!

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 30th 2017 at 8:40 am.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Maine for a UK Family

ABD79, I really think you should give up on any idea of emigrating, no matter where you think about you come up with a huge list of negatives despite people who live/have lived there telling you they have seen none of the things you are worried about. There is no where in the world, in reality, that is totally crime free (maybe a few very isolated communities in certain countries or islands), but you do have to look at the statistics regarding these crimes, many are related to living conditions in some communities, but these areas are NOT the places you would be moving to, some areas in cities have very high crime rates, due to drugs, gangs etc, but these are NOT the places you would be living in or visiting.
So either get over your fears or just give up totally on moving to another country.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:58 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

The blissful utopia you are looking for doesn't exist. Unless you buy your own island and are the sole inhabitants.

I find it hard to believe that people have said they "hate" you because you're from the U.K. Hate is a very strong word. Whilst most of us are no strangers to the "oooh where are you from?" question here, I can't say I've heard of anyone being on the receiving end of hatred. But maybe it has something to do with your attitude that nowhere else or nobody else is good enough for you? You seem to be determined to find fault in everything.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:51 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
The blissful utopia you are looking for doesn't exist. Unless you buy your own island and are the sole inhabitants.

I find it hard to believe that people have said they "hate" you because you're from the U.K. Hate is a very strong word. Whilst most of us are no strangers to the "oooh where are you from?" question here, I can't say I've heard of anyone being on the receiving end of hatred. But maybe it has something to do with your attitude that nowhere else or nobody else is good enough for you? You seem to be determined to find fault in everything.
My room mate said she "hates Brits" and I was shut in my friend's room who was from the Netherlands by a Native American student at the college who literally shouted at us that it was our fault his people had been through what they had, that we shouldn't be there and should go home and that America was "the greatest country on earth" and that "our kind need to get the f**k out." This was also the same person that when I saw him twice on campus he'd stand still as I walked, make a finger gun at me and turn with it to follow me with his finger gun, expressionless. Not the nicest of experiences.
Sorry if you don't believe that two people said they hated me for being from the UK but there it is...those were the two. I didn't want to go into detail as this thread is not about that and nor do I want it to be. Neither am I looking for a "blissful utopia." I have questions regarding taxes, friendliness, weather and crime in Maine. Similarly in the other countries we have looked at. Surely these are normal questions? Please, if you are not looking to help then please just not reply. It will be best on all fronts. I am looking for comments from residents of Maine please regarding the questions I have asked. Thank you.

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 30th 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
ABD79, I really think you should give up on any idea of emigrating, no matter where you think about you come up with a huge list of negatives despite people who live/have lived there telling you they have seen none of the things you are worried about. There is no where in the world, in reality, that is totally crime free (maybe a few very isolated communities in certain countries or islands), but you do have to look at the statistics regarding these crimes, many are related to living conditions in some communities, but these areas are NOT the places you would be moving to, some areas in cities have very high crime rates, due to drugs, gangs etc, but these are NOT the places you would be living in or visiting.
So either get over your fears or just give up totally on moving to another country.
No offence but please, if you're not from Maine or can't help then it would be nicer all round if you didn't reply. We are looking to uproot the whole family to another country and are considering a few places. I have questions about weather, crime, how family oriented the places are etc. (And I asked about spiders in Australia as I have a very bad phobia). These are reasonable questions. I don't need to be criticised for it. If you're comfortable with the idea of moving a family with three very young children to another country and not ask questions about crime, things to do for the children and how friendly it is there then that's your perogative but I care deeply about my children and want to make sure we pick the right place. Now please, if you don't have information on Maine specifically, please just don't comment. I would be most grateful and nobody else needs to read these ridiculous comments back and forth that have no relevance on the subject. Leave the emotional side of a move to me and my judgement and simply give any information regarding actual facts if you wish. Otherwise, can we just stop these time wasting comments now please? Many thanks!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband is transferring there then surely he has some contacts at the new office.

Why doesn't he ask them? Or better... Take a vacation there, have a beer with them and ask questions in person.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived in a cheap student area in the north of England, a scrubby area in zone 2 North London, as well as less than safe areas of Boston. The only thing I can say is, I was a victim of a mugging (knife-point) at the top of my parents cul-de-sac, in a sleepy (nothing interesting happens here), beautiful, gentrified part of the South of England.

Do not overthink things too much, you never know when you could be a victim of crime.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tom169
If your husband is transferring there then surely he has some contacts at the new office.

Why doesn't he ask them? Or better... Take a vacation there, have a beer with them and ask questions in person.
Hello. We can't afford just to take a vacation there - it costs over $4,000 in flights alone for us as a family. It's not a case of "asking someone at the new office." His company actively encourage transfers globally in his company. It's merely a case of if there's a job available then he applies. We are not in a position financially to go for another year and at that time he'll need to apply for an internal transfer. If he asked questions now to people within his company abroad then his manager at home will hear of it and assume we are looking to leave now, which is not the case and that would not be a good thing to happen. I'm simply asking questions now ahead of time so we can narrow down where it is we would like to go. We've both lived and studied in Maine many years ago - and he has worked there. So there's no real need for a vacation.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Ive lived in a cheap student area in the north of England, a scrubby area in zone 2 North London, as well as less than safe areas of Boston. The only thing I can say is, I was a victim of a mugging (knife-point) at the top of my parents cul-de-sac, in a sleepy (nothing interesting happens here), beautiful, gentrified part of the South of England.

Do not overthink things too much, you never know when you could be a victim of crime.
Yes that is a good point Also, it's probably easy when you live in a very "safe" place, (or what's considered very safe anyway), to become complacent and let your guard down, leaving you more vulnerable. Whereas I gues somewhere with moderately more crime you're more likely to take precautions and be more aware. So that's a good point, thank you
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
Yes that is a good point Also, it's probably easy when you live in a very "safe" place, (or what's considered very safe anyway), to become complacent and let your guard down, leaving you more vulnerable. Whereas I gues somewhere with moderately more crime you're more likely to take precautions and be more aware. So that's a good point, thank you
I think the last part about complacency is certainly true. If i'd looked at the situation harder, I would have legged it straight away!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I think the last part about complacency is certainly true. If i'd looked at the situation harder, I would have legged it straight away!
Yes I never forget being in Washington DC when I was 14 with my mum and dad. We were visiting an elderly couple from West Virginia they'd met years ago whilst they were visiting the UK. We ended up driving around DC at night, being totally lost, when the elderly man we were with pulled in to a car park with a completely decrepit brown 1970s car at the very, very far end, (no other cars around), and he pulled up to the 4 or 5 black youths around it (the one in the passenger seat ducked down straight away out of sight, as did the two at the rear of the car, and he asked the one in the driver's seat where the hotel was we needed. He just replied, "can you read?!" Our man said, "uh, yes," so the other man said, "well read, fool." We left quickly after that but I never forget thinking, "don't ask them!!! What are you doing? God I'm going to die!" Even I could see that this was not a good situation and I was a 14 year old girl from the UK. What our friend was thinking I have no idea!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

I agree with this completely.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by carcajou
I agree with this completely.
Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
No offence but please, if you're not from Maine or can't help then it would be nicer all round if you didn't reply.
I completely understand your comment - but, with respect, you can't really control what someone posts in an open forum or the manner in which they respond. On occasion, for example, I've had people get very angry with me because of the comments I've posted in response! For my part, I simply have no tolerance for stupidity - but, still, stupid people post, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I think we should all be more Zen-like and take that which is useful.

FWIW, I quite like Maine.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I completely understand your comment - but, with respect, you can't really control what someone posts in an open forum or the manner in which they respond. On occasion, for example, I've had people get very angry with me because of the comments I've posted in response! For my part, I simply have no tolerance for stupidity - but, still, stupid people post, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I think we should all be more Zen-like and take that which is useful.

FWIW, I quite like Maine.

Ian
Errrr was that a round about way of saying I'm stupid? :-/
So, anyway, Maine...you said you like it. Any more elaboration would be great Good food? Nice people? Obviously the scenery is fantastic. I'd never get board of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.