Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about Valentines day

Wikiposts

Thoughts about Valentines day

Old Feb 14th 2006, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts about Valentines day

Just bought "She who must be obeyed" red roses & made her a card "Print Shop Dlx". No, I did not use cheap paper, the real thing 25% cotton premium heavy stock. How posh. After 19.5 years, still try occasionally.

Reg. Frank R. Happy Valentines to all the girls/ladies.

PS. I still log on this site every morning, I'm told it is legit. CLICK ON Fund Free Mammograms.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/c...jects/CTDSites
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thoughts about Valentines day

Happy Anniversary to those of you whom are celebrating it today!

Did you get married in the UK or the US?

(I never fancied a winter wedding as I hate the cold - unless of course you got married in sunny climes)
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

(I never fancied a winter wedding as I hate the cold - unless of course you got married in sunny climes)
UK for us I feel the only thing we missed out on is all the Wedding photo's were taken indoors, still all went as planed.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
How do you forum members handle Valentine's Day? Are you, like myself and my wife, avoiding it like the plague for its over-commercialized tackiness, but taking the opportunity the following day to buy some severely discounted candy?

Let's hear your views. I would have put this into a poll but couldn't think of enough options....

My VP walked into my office today and with a big smile on his face said "Happy Valentines Day"....

I then spent the next 10 minutes explaining that he shouldn't say that on a TC to the UK office and how culturally inappropriate it would be.

Also, why is valentines day called a holiday
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:20 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

We got married in a stately home in the UK the weather was sunny and dry, the best day of my life
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:46 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised when I first came here the wide selection of Valentines card. In the UK it was just husband, wife and non specific, but here its, husband, wife, mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother, and all the rest of the family, co-workers, friends and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. It is very commercialized. My husband's Brit approach is "why wait for one day a year to tell someone you love them".

Greetings cards in general are big business here. I recently saw cards "Congratulations on your divorce". And when our cat died a few years back a friend sent a "Sympathy on the death of your cat" card.

Everyone I work with bought in small gifts for everyone as well as several companies stopping by with candies.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:53 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to Santa Monica seafood to pick up some shrimp, empenadas, oysters and scallops. It was like a frenzied feeding of the 5000, with Yanks running around shrieking as if they had just got released from a concentration camp. Like a proper Englishman I calmly stood there with my number and resisted the temptation to punch some of these idiots to get them to calm down while they ran around yelling, pushing, scrambling for a number for the line and getting generally over-excited, competitive and hyperactive............... they do annoy me
Hopefully the seafood will work it's magic
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
UK for us I feel the only thing we missed out on is all the Wedding photo's were taken indoors, still all went as planed.

happy anniversary vic and rob..... all set for tomorrow vic, wink wink say no more
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
happy anniversary vic and rob..... all set for tomorrow vic, wink wink say no more
Them Homecomings, nothing beats it, pure lust.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynne
I was surprised when I first came here the wide selection of Valentines card. In the UK it was just husband, wife and non specific, but here its, husband, wife, mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother, and all the rest of the family, co-workers, friends and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. It is very commercialized. My husband's Brit approach is "why wait for one day a year to tell someone you love them".

Greetings cards in general are big business here. I recently saw cards "Congratulations on your divorce". And when our cat died a few years back a friend sent a "Sympathy on the death of your cat" card.

Everyone I work with bought in small gifts for everyone as well as several companies stopping by with candies.
I saw a card in Hallmark last week congratulating a child on potty training, it made me smile
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Thoughts about Valentines day

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
I saw a card in Hallmark last week congratulating a child on potty training, it made me smile
What would be the age of the child who could both read the card and just have learnt how to use their potty?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:38 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
My VP walked into my office today and with a big smile on his face said "Happy Valentines Day"....

I then spent the next 10 minutes explaining that he shouldn't say that on a TC to the UK office and how culturally inappropriate it would be.

Also, why is valentines day called a holiday
Does TC mean teleconference call or something? If I was on the receiving end of that while in the UK I'd enjoy it and think it was quaint.

One of my co-workers brought us all in candy. Totally unexpected . It was a guy but I'm sure that means nothing .
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about over the top....

My fiancee came home from her job at the Elementary school with a ton of cards, chocolates, gifts, and drawings from the kids.

Someone splashed out on Fererro Roche (sp?)... they're now mine obviously.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What would be the age of the child who could both read the card and just have learnt how to use their potty?

NC Penguin
my very thought but it brightened my day
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:49 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Thoughts about Valentines day

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
It seems to be at a much later age than with most British children.....boys do tend to be later than girls but a lot of them are 3 or even 4 years old....in one extreme case I know of a boy who still wasn't toilet trained and he was about to start kindergarten (51/2 years old!).

I guess kids get lazy by using those Huggies 'pull-ups' - those things which seem to be a cross between a nappy and underpants/knickers. They don't get sore and uncomfortable so there isn't so much of an incentive to go on the potty I guess.

Actually I always cringe when I hear a parent loudly asking an older child (say aged about 10) if they "Wanna go potty?". Why can't they say toilet instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.