Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about Valentines day

Thoughts about Valentines day

Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:02 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Thoughts about Valentines day

How do you forum members handle Valentine's Day? Are you, like myself and my wife, avoiding it like the plague for its over-commercialized tackiness, but taking the opportunity the following day to buy some severely discounted candy?

Let's hear your views. I would have put this into a poll but couldn't think of enough options....
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thoughts about Valentines day

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
How do you forum members handle Valentine's Day? Are you, like myself and my wife, avoiding it like the plague for its over-commercialized tackiness, but taking the opportunity the following day to buy some severely discounted candy?

Let's hear your views. I would have put this into a poll but couldn't think of enough options....
We just treat it as if we are still in the UK....a valentines card to each other. Deal done. Much to our kids disgust we refuse to supply their entire class with cards, candy and pointless tacky presents.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We just treat it as if we are still in the UK....a valentines card to each other. Deal done. Much to our kids disgust we refuse to supply their entire class with cards, candy and pointless tacky presents.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, its another US scam invented by Hallmark cards. When I was a kid it was a bit of anonymous fun. I know people here who send the cards to their mothers, grandmothers, fathers & siblings?!!!!!!!!!!!%!^&&&&&&@
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's our Wedding Anniversary same day, so we just buy the one that means the most WA But he's not home till Thursday
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

morning awp.... bit of a stutter going on today have we
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

We just ignore it too, it means much more to get a bunch of flowers or something at some other time of year.

What is all that buying all the kids in class a card and gift about? It's crazy, my daughter made 26 cards herself to give out, but I refuse to buy all 26 of them a gift too.

Annette
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Much to our kids disgust we refuse to supply their entire class with cards, candy and pointless tacky presents.
Is that what you're supposed to do? It's our first year here with a 2nd grader.

Back in the NL we never did anything (by choice). I think hubby and I may have sent eachother a card because we weren't together, but I don't even remember for sure. Oh, just remembered: one year he was over for V'day (just happened to be most convenient) and he brought over a huge teddy bear and a ring. I never even thought about getting him anything so I had to sneak out to the store.

Don't think we ever did anything after that. Just doesn't mean anything to us with all the commercialized stuff. We have several other 'Valentines Days' a year on the dates of our choice... sometimes we don't even plan for it. Imagine that.

Elaine
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:34 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen

Back in the NL we never did anything (by choice). I think hubby and I may have sent eachother a card because we weren't together, but I don't even remember for sure. Oh, just remembered: one year he was over for V'day (just happened to be most convenient) and he brought over a huge teddy bear and a ring. I never even thought about getting him anything so I had to sneak out to the store.

Don't think we ever did anything after that. Just doesn't mean anything to us with all the commercialized stuff. We have several other 'Valentines Days' a year on the dates of our choice... sometimes we don't even plan for it. Imagine that.

Elaine
I have never bought presents for the class. I always get the box of cards and the girls wrote them for their class-mates.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

lol even my two pussies got a valentines card from their groomer on saturday
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:41 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol even my two pussies got a valentines card from their groomer on saturday

You should probably see a doctor.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:43 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
yes....every child brings a valentines candy for their classmates...your child will come home with a bag of candy/cards on Tuesday. You can either be cheap and just buy the cards or you can buy cards with candy already attached or even do what I did one year and tape some candy to the cards.. some candy has a space for you to write your kids name so then you don't have to bother with a card...it's the candy the kids want anyway...iIhave 3 kids and spent $6 it's cheap so don't listen to AWP and let your kid participate
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
You should probably see a doctor.
lol me see a doctor what for
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:47 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol me see a doctor what for
Check your karma dear.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
Check your karma dear.
lol have and tks..check your pm's ttfn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.