British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thought getting US Citizenship made you safe? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thought-getting-us-citizenship-made-you-safe-344996/)

ScousePete Dec 29th 2005 2:27 pm

Thought getting US Citizenship made you safe?

Demjanjuk, who came to the United States in 1952, lost his U.S. citizenship after a judge ruled in 2002 that documents from World War II prove he was a Nazi guard at various death or forced labor camps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051229/...uk_deportation

I always thought that once you got citizenship, it couldn't be taken away. Shows how wrong I was :o

Manc Dec 29th 2005 2:30 pm

Re: Thought getting US Citizenship made you safe?

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Demjanjuk, who came to the United States in 1952, lost his U.S. citizenship after a judge ruled in 2002 that documents from World War II prove he was a Nazi guard at various death or forced labor camps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051229/...uk_deportation

I always thought that once you got citizenship, it couldn't be taken away. Shows how wrong I was :o

but if he lied on the app, it can be revoked.

Ray Dec 29th 2005 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Did you, during the period March 23, 1933 to May 8, 1945, in association with either the Nazi Government of Germany or any organization or government associated or allied with the Nazi Government of Germany, ever order, incite, assist or otherwise participate in the persecution of any person because of race, religion, national origin, or political opinion?

He lied...perhaps

TN-Dave Dec 29th 2005 2:45 pm

You have a good point there Manc.

frrussre Dec 29th 2005 2:52 pm

That answer is on the money.
The toughest question to get around on N400 form, Between March 23, 1933, and May 8, 1945, did you work for or associate in any way (either directly or indirectly) with
a. The Nazis government of Germany?
b. Any government in any area (1) occupied by, (2) allied with, or (3) established with the help of the Nazi government of Germany?
c. Any German, Nazi, or S.S. military unit, self defense unit, vigilante unit, citizen unit, police unit, government agency or office, extermination camp, concentration camp, prisoner of war camp, prison, labor camp, or transit camp?

Lie & cheat to get it. Whoops, you lose it.

Frankly, chuck him out ASAP. 53 years to late, in my book.
Reg. Frank R.

Manc Dec 29th 2005 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre
The toughest question to get around on N400 form,

If you're a guy and lived here between 18-25 then the toughest question is the selective service one.............
can f**k people up right royally.

frrussre Dec 29th 2005 3:03 pm

If you're a guy and lived here between 18-25 then the toughest question is the selective service one.............
can f**k people up right royally.

Not really Manc, even if you did not sign for selective service, after 3 or 5 years good moral Turpitude, you can probably get a waiver.

Nazis deal. Zero chance. Less then a dogs chance.
Reg. Frank R.

Pimpbot Dec 29th 2005 3:05 pm

I ready yesterday that the government has spent 4.5 million dollars looking into changes to the citizenship questionaire. They have another 2 million set aside for testing and they hope to have it in place by 2007. The new questionaire will be more based on what citizenship of American means, instead of a bunch of easily memorized questions.

How many American's do you think, would be able to answer the current questions?

Manc Dec 29th 2005 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre
Not really Manc, even if you did not sign for selective service, after 3 or 5 years good moral Turpitude, you can probably get a waiver.

Nazis deal. Zero chance. Less then a dogs chance.
Reg. Frank R.

agree.
The earliest you can get citizenship is age 31 if you never registered for SSS...... which will show 5 years good moral character and cannot be denied citizenship on failure to enroll in SSS alone.

Titchski Dec 29th 2005 3:30 pm

agree.
The earliest you can get citizenship is age 31 if you never registered for SSS...... which will show 5 years good moral character and cannot be denied citizenship on failure to enroll in SSS alone.

Yeah the Selective Service Question got me when I filled out the paperwork... to be honest, I have no clue if I signed up or not, so I've decided not to go ahead with citizenship at the moment.

I was fairly confident about the Nazi question though, seeing as I was born in 1974 :p

fatbrit Dec 29th 2005 3:32 pm

agree.

I've seen people argue you could do it at 29 (26+3) if you were claiming 3 years due to marriage to USC. Is the jury still out on that one?

Manc Dec 29th 2005 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski
Yeah the Selective Service Question got me when I filled out the paperwork... to be honest, I have no clue if I signed up or not, so I've decided not to go ahead with citizenship at the moment.

I was fairly confident about the Nazi question though, seeing as I was born in 1974 :p

I'm gonna wait until I am 31 anyhow. I didn't become a permanent resident until I was 26, but did land here and submit AOS while I was 25.

so just gonna sit it out I think

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 29th 2005 3:49 pm

I'm gonna wait until I am 31 anyhow. I didn't become a permanent resident until I was 26, but did land here and submit AOS while I was 25.

so just gonna sit it out I think

Being an old(er) bast@rd Im fairly safe on that one.

Manc Dec 29th 2005 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Being an old(er) bast@rd Im fairly safe on that one.

I am 30 next month FFS.................
radio 2 here I come.

TouristTrap Dec 29th 2005 4:04 pm

I am 30 next month FFS.................
radio 2 here I come.

Your life is over; you know that right? :p