Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For those that waited for an EAD...

For those that waited for an EAD...

Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future
Default For those that waited for an EAD...

Should I start applying to jobs now even though I have not got my EAD yet or is it better to wait till I get my EAD before I apply for jobs....what did you do?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that waited for an EAD...

I waited. You've still got to get your SSN after anyway. You could probably start looking once you've got your EAD, but make sure you apply for your SSN quick smart, that way if you get the job, you can start straight away.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:18 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lostman
Should I start applying to jobs now even though I have not got my EAD yet or is it better to wait till I get my EAD before I apply for jobs....what did you do?

Thanks!

Do your homework, get the letters and "resumes" ready, and you'll be ready when you get your EAD
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I waited. You've still got to get your SSN after anyway. You could probably start looking once you've got your EAD, but make sure you apply for your SSN quick smart, that way if you get the job, you can start straight away.

Just wanted to add you don't actually NEED the SNN to start work, though you should of course apply for it.

I've also heard that it is better to wait a week to 10 days after EAD approval before applying for the SSN because it takes a while for the records about eligibility to be updated.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Do your homework, get the letters and "resumes" ready, and you'll be ready when you get your EAD

Oh and register for e-mail notification with USCIS. I reaceived notification of my EAD approval at least a week before I received the actual card!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:25 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just wanted to add you don't actually NEED the SNN to start work, though you should of course apply for it.

I've also heard that it is better to wait a week to 10 days after EAD approval before applying for the SSN because it takes a while for the records about eligibility to be updated.
I didn't have my SSN when I started work, so I had to wait a bit longer for my paycheque, but that was fine with me. It was just nice to know that I was making money again!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:34 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
I didn't have my SSN when I started work, so I had to wait a bit longer for my paycheque, but that was fine with me. It was just nice to know that I was making money again!!!
I have no idea which order I got mine in, but my SSN card does have the words "Valid for Work only with INS authorisation" printed across it !
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Oh and register for e-mail notification with USCIS. I reaceived notification of my EAD approval at least a week before I received the actual card!
Or you can check your online status at the USCIS.gov site, by entering your SRC number.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:35 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by izibear
Or you can check your online status at the USCIS.gov site, by entering your SRC number.

Only works if your obsessive-compulsive!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:36 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lostman

Thanks!
The problem with those bloody EAD's is that they need renewing every year until you get your GC, which for me meant a 12 hour round trip by car to my 'local' INS (as it used to be) office and another fee each time...... .I'm glad that's not something I have to do each year now.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:38 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
The problem with those bloody EAD's is that they need renewing every year until you get your GC, which for me meant a 12 hour round trip by car to my 'local' INS (as it used to be) office and another fee each time...... .I'm glad that's not something I have to do each year now.

Beats not being allowed to work for 3+ years, as was the case with me (H4)...

Remember there's always someone worse off than you.

Here endeth today's lesson!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Beats not being allowed to work for 3+ years, as was the case with me (H4)...

Remember there's always someone worse off than you.

Here endeth today's lesson!
Been there on an L2. Sucked.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:44 pm
Homebody

But L2 spouses are allowed to work. Or were you just an offspring?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

But L2 spouses are allowed to work. Or were you just an offspring?
Only in the last 2 years or so did they change the law. Previous to that you weren't.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:53 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Still there (H4) and definitely sucks. Starting year 5 next month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.