Reload this Page >

Those Police Certificates...

Those Police Certificates...

Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

sjc123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Those Police Certificates...

I am currently completing my K-1 application and have the following questions:

1) I have been given a 1091(a) form from my local Suffolk police station (data protection form) and NOT the HSMO 3019 form I have seen in other posts... is this the right form? It stated that "Police Forces in the UK DO NOT furnish certificates of good conduct".

2) I have read that it is necessary to supply a 'Police Certificate' for all countries you have lived in for more than 12 months. I have been workng in the US for the past 3 years, does anyone know how I can get a certificate from the States and well... is it REALLY necessary, some people have hinted that it's not?

Thanks for any help...
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those Police Certificates...

Originally posted by sjc123:

2) I have read that it is necessary to supply a 'Police Certificate' for all countries you have lived in for more than 12 months. I have been workng in the US for the past 3 years, does anyone know how I can get a certificate from the States and well... is it REALLY necessary, some people have hinted that it's not?

Thanks for any help...
DUH? If you are here working in the US and are here legally, why are you going the K-1 route?

Get married already and file the AOS papers while you are living here in the US.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

sjc123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't completely clear - I am back in the UK now. I WAS working in the US for 3 years with an L-1 visa.

Do I need the US Police Cert - if so does anyone know the procedure?

Originally posted by Rete:

DUH? If you are here working in the US and are here legally, why are you going the K-1 route?

Get married already and file the AOS papers while you are living here in the US.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't completely clear - I am back in the UK now. I WAS working in the US for 3 years with an L-1 visa.

Do I need the US Police Cert - if so does anyone know the procedure?

The US Consulate will do an FBI clearance and then an IBIS clearance on you and that should cover the police certificate end for the US. Since you are in the UK, why not just e-mail the US Consulate in London and ask them directly.

What better advice than that of the horse

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

1) I have been given a 1091(a) form from my local Suffolk police station (data protection form) and NOT the HSMO 3019 form I have seen in other posts... is this the right form? It stated that "Police Forces in the UK DO NOT furnish certificates of good conduct".

Given Rete's post this maybe redundant, but just in case.
Don't panic if the form is different. Most if not all Police forces in the UK use their own forms.
In fact as a matter of law you don't need any form, just a written request, signed by your self, with sufficient information to identify you in their records (DOB, addresses etc) and a cheque for 10 GBpounds. (Data Protection Act 1998 ss.7 -9)

However for administrative purposes the Police require you to use a form, to refuse a request because it is not on their form would be unlawful but not something you would want to waste time arguing about.

Finally, no the UK Police do not provide certificates of good conduct, but the US embassy and INS appear to know this and thus accept the DPA letter provided by the National Identification Service.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Myrddin is an unknown quantity at this point

The form to apply for a police certificate/PNC check did change recently (I'm not sure when). Fortunately it is for the better.

The new form no longer requires you to get a countersignature from a doctor or other professional person. Instead, you must now supply *two* forms of ID, one of which must include your signature.

A driving licence with a passport is a good combo.

This means that as long as you also have £10 on you, you can fill the form in and give it back to the officer without needing to leave the police station.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:57 pm
L D Jones

sjc123 wrote:
    > I wasn't completely clear - I am back in the UK now. I WAS working in
    > the US for 3 years with an L-1 visa.
    > Do I need the US Police Cert - if so does anyone know the procedure?

No. See this page