Reload this Page >

For those that miss Heinz tomato soup

Wikiposts

For those that miss Heinz tomato soup

Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default For those that miss Heinz tomato soup

I was gutted when I moved to the US and discovered that Heinz did not sell tomato soup here (or salad cream) and wondered how I would ever get by!
Anyway, today I made a discovery: I found Progresso Vegetable Classics, Creamy Tomato to be quite close to Heinz (except with a few bits of whole tomato). I was tucking into half the can even before I heated it up!

I once heard that chicken tikka masala was invented in Britain using Heinz tomato soup. Apparently a customer ordered chicken tikka and was disappointed to find that there was no sauce. He complained and the chicken was taken back to the kitchen where a tin of Heinz tomato was opened, mixed with a few spices (maybe cream too) and voila! Britain's fave dish.

I've made a very acceptable quick tikka masala using tomato soup:
Fry some chicken, onions, garlic. Stir in some curry powder and cook for a minute more. Add tomato soup and if you want it more creamy then some cream, plain yoghurt or cream coconut. Some fresh coriander goes a treat with it too. And here's one I prepared earlier...
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:32 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those that miss Heinz tomato soup

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I was gutted when I moved to the US and discovered that Heinz did not sell tomato soup here (or salad cream) and wondered how I would ever get by!
Anyway, today I made a discovery: I found Progresso Vegetable Classics, Creamy Tomato to be quite close to Heinz (except with a few bits of whole tomato). I was tucking into half the can even before I heated it up!

I once heard that chicken tikka masala was invented in Britain using Heinz tomato soup. Apparently a customer ordered chicken tikka and was disappointed to find that there was no sauce. He complained and the chicken was taken back to the kitchen where a tin of Heinz tomato was opened, mixed with a few spices (maybe cream too) and voila! Britain's fave dish.

Fry some chicken, onions, garlic. Stir in some curry powder and cook for a minute more. Add tomato soup and if you want it more creamy then some cream, plain yoghurt or cream coconut. Some fresh coriander goes a treat with it too. And here's one I prepared earlier...

sounds delicious but don't worry coz i've heard that tesco's is coming to the usa..think there's a thread or two or three about it..
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:34 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sounds delicious but don't worry coz i've heard that tesco's is coming to the usa..think there's a thread or two or three about it..
LOL
Thanks for the soup info
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought that any tomato soup tasted like vomit, Heinz or otherwise...

Anyway, what's the deal about "grilled" cheese with tomato soup in the US?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I felt the same way about Heinz Beans. Went to Canada and found some there bought a couple of boxes (several dozen cans) and guess what...... tasted nothing like the Brit ones. Since found my local Kings supermarket sells the real deal. Yummy.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:07 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've always thought that any tomato soup tasted like vomit, Heinz or otherwise...

NC Penguin
Depending where you are located Tomato soup is available we get it our local stop and shop and salad cream

and TEsco is coming to the USA when when will this happen hahahahaha has anyone ever thought although tesco is coming it will not bring with it its English groceries it will just stock it shelves with the american grocery. Walmart has bought out Asda and it has nothing English in it Target seems to be bringing alot british in.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

surprisingly enough, we can get the heinz tomato soup....tastes like arse though.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:40 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
It's the saturated fats gig. Take something, anything and make it better by the addition of a few hundred calories worth of fat. I mean wtf is a slice of cheese doing in a ham sandwich, for instance? That's not a ham sandwich, thats fe<kin ham and cheese. If I wanted 200 calories worth of crap added I'd shat on it myself thank you. You try going in Subway and getting a chicken breast sandwich, toasted without the cheese. It's like you have to jump over the counter and poke them in the forehead while repeating 'toast the bread, no cheese'. Jeez, no wonder 40% of Americans are lard arses!

*rant over*
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:51 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, get Heinz soup here too in Atlanta (have at least 3 or 4 stores now). They also stock Heinz beanz ($1.10 a can when buy by the case), Heinz Spaghitti, Heinz veg soup, salad cream, PG tips, prawn cocktail crisps, fruit pastilles, Piccallili, Branston, heinz pickled onions - in fact, my pantry/larder looks like back home...

It'd be great if there was a tesco but I don't think there are any plans to put one in the USA - unless you know different?

When I was a kid growing up, I remember a program too about these little characters, one of which said "piss off said zeb-a-dee" or something to that effect - anyone remember the name of the show - I wish they would make a movie about it. there was also a roundabout in Hemel Hempstead they used to call "the magic roundabout" but I don't know why these two seem to be related....
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:09 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc11s
It'd be great if there was a tesco but I don't think there are any plans to put one in the USA - unless you know different?

lol check out post two...think there's a rumour that tesco's might be opening up this side of the pond..
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Progresso soups are nice. However our local friendly Brit shop about a mile away sells Heinz everything. And Bisto, and Danish Bacon. Muahahahahahahha.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Britarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond repute

Doin' my Monday morn' peeps, thought I would add my 2-cents worth. We were sitting outside on the deck of our favourite breakfast spot, on Ventura harbour Sunday morning, it was already 75f, going up to 85f (had to mention that), I was eating fried egg with bacon on a toasted bagel, the waitress came back and asked if I would like tomato on the sandwich, she was Japanese very new to USA, so was hard to understand, I said I would love a slice of tomato, she came back with Heinze Ketchup, then she was perplexed when I refused it.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:55 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Gordon Food Service (GFS) has a range of Heinz soups. Just $2.69 for a honking great tin (just add water).
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Kroger's has a nice British food section in most stores around Houston which sells Heinz Beans, Heniz Soups, Digestive Biscuits, Lucozade, Aeros, Mr Kiplings cakes, HP Sauce etc. etc. Prices aren't too bad. $1.19 for beans. $1.59 for Soup.

Also, in my corner of the world - Fiesta supermarkets sell Irn Bru, and Cost Plus World Market sells Pataks Chicken Korma sauces, Tetley Tea Bags, Cadbury's buttons and a few other treats from the old country.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:55 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Get a life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.