Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For those that have applied for a child’s passport, a couple of questions.

For those that have applied for a child’s passport, a couple of questions.

Old Feb 26th 2019, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those that have applied for a child’s passport, a couple of questions.

Quick background, my 2 kids are US born, dad is US citizen I am UK citizen. Both kids have a US passport. Whenever I mention my kids having dual citizenship or rights to citizenship my husband has to make a point that the UK knows nothing of their existence therefore they are not British citizens.

I plan on applying for their passports, obviously not out of nessecity just so they are official and it is cheaper than registering a birth (although it probably late in the day for that anyway).

So my questions, are standard passport photos taken here accepted? Costco is where I had the ones done for their US renewal.

The application notes says grandparents passport info maybe required, both of my parents have passed away, I doubt my sister kept theirs, how likely am I going to need that info? I have a UK passport and birth certificate.

It also says an interview maybe required, I know this is typically an exception to the norm but has anyone every been asked to attend an interview for a kids passport app when living abroad?
Old Feb 26th 2019, 10:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that have applied for a child’s passport, a couple of questions.

Your husband is incorrect; providing you were born in the UK then they are British citizens. A passport does not make you a citizen; you need to be a citizen in order to apply for the passport. You can still register the births; there is no time limit on doing so.

What year were you born?
Old Feb 27th 2019, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that have applied for a child’s passport, a couple of questions.

I applied for my daughters UK passport just after she was born. Due to the year I was born (1983) I did need information from my parents to ensure that I had the right to pass on British citizenship. If I remember correctly this meant ordering a copy of my parents marriage certificate (I don't remember including their passport info, but I assume this wouldn't be relevant for you anyway). Check the UK passport info site, there are lots of permutations of what you need depending on when you (the child's parent) were born. There are specific requirements for the passport picture (we trimmed a US one to be the correct size). It only took about 3 weeks to get the passport.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 5:10 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same situation as you when I applied for a passport for my daughter about 4 years ago. I only needed my passport and birth certificate and the application process was quick and painless. I don't remember how I got the passport photos done, but I'm pretty sure it was in a drug store.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 8:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the research I did, mainly based on advice from here, for the UK Citizenship I did the consular birth registration for my sons, and did not waste the money to apply for the British passport, since they need to use the US one to return to the US. If we were to move to the UK I would get the UK passport as well, but not for short visits. If I started keeping current passports for the whole family for every eligible citizenship I would be renewing atleast 9 passports every 5-10 years based on age, and that’s before I get USC.

The Advantage of the Certificate of Birth Registration is that on 1 page it details, both parents details, and the relevant act’s that both my sons and I have a claim to British Citizenship under. Which based on my own experience of this process may be useful to them and or their future children if they have any.

Aside from the extra information on it, it means I have 2 copies for each of them (I paid extra), and this is not a document that will be carried around (with the possibility of loss) like a passport, so it sits safely in the fire safe.

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your husband is incorrect; providing you were born in the UK then they are British citizens. A passport does not make you a citizen; you need to be a citizen in order to apply for the passport. You can still register the births; there is no time limit on doing so.

What year were you born?
I was born in 77

A passport is half the price of registering them.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 9:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I was born in 77

A passport is half the price of registering them.
In that case, HMPO doesn’t need their grandparents’ information. Registration is more expensive but it doesn’t expire. A child passport expires after five years. It’s not mandatory but it does provide a permanent record of their citizenship in a way a passport does not. The wiki has more information:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti...h_Registration
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:00 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

use US passport photos left at US standard sizes. The eye/head/face ratios are all the same (international standards) - the US just gives additional border on the background (its square rather than rectangular). The UK passport office just trim to their desired size. It used to state this on the passport site - and ive sent in many renewals etc using us standard photos.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 2:08 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I just ordered ours through mypassportphotos.com - they were printed at the pharmacy around the corner in a couple of hours, and to the correct size. Note I did crop/size my own photos in order to upload them.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Your kids are UK citizens through you. Our situation is the same as yours, and I too never registered my kids. I applied for their passports last year at ages 13 and 16 for the first time and I believe the only requirement was mom's passport and Birth Cert. Passport photos were the standard ones from CVS. Painless process and we had the new passports in 10 days from sending from here.

The hard part is going to be remembering to renew the UK (and US) passports.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about registering the birth. You don't actually need to spend the extra money on getting the certificate.

That can be had online for cheap a year later, unless the GRO has changed things. It used to be a tenner, but not sure what they charge now as the cost recently went up.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

NEWS FLASH

If you use the overseas UK passport service in Durham, most of the application is now done online and just recently they have added the option of uploading your own digital photo as long as it abides by the rules of size, colour of background etc.

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passpo...digital-photos

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Mar 7th 2019 at 5:07 pm. Reason: added link
Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Based on the research I did, mainly based on advice from here, for the UK Citizenship I did the consular birth registration for my sons, and did not waste the money to apply for the British passport, since they need to use the US one to return to the US. If we were to move to the UK I would get the UK passport as well, but not for short visits. If I started keeping current passports for the whole family for every eligible citizenship I would be renewing atleast 9 passports every 5-10 years based on age, and that’s before I get USC.

The Advantage of the Certificate of Birth Registration is that on 1 page it details, both parents details, and the relevant act’s that both my sons and I have a claim to British Citizenship under. Which based on my own experience of this process may be useful to them and or their future children if they have any.

Aside from the extra information on it, it means I have 2 copies for each of them (I paid extra), and this is not a document that will be carried around (with the possibility of loss) like a passport, so it sits safely in the fire safe.

I did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. While living in the US, it is almost pointless getting a UK passport. You really don't need it, but once registered there is a hard copy you keep very safe, and also it is registered... (funnily enough) so very cheap copies can be made later.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
...A passport is half the price of registering them...
So after one renewal you've just hit the cost of registering them. Be realistic, unless you're going on extremely extended vacations or will go back to live in the UK, how often will you use the UK passport? You MUST have a US Passport to get back in the US so why not just have US passport for travel?
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Some really valid points about actually needing a UK passport, and saving money, especially if they are living here and only visiting the UK. I only did it because my son had turned 16, and I felt like he may be bumping up to some artificial deadline...of course not. But I got them passports to get them in the "system" officially. I probably will renew the passports once after they have turned 18, and then they can do what they want with it. If their passports epire and are not renewed, I dont think it causes a problem down the line. Does it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.