Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Those Brits who filed the P85 tax form...

Those Brits who filed the P85 tax form...

Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Those Brits who filed the P85 tax form...

How long did it take for the inland revenue to pay up?
Old Aug 29th 2003, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

About two months and still waiting for me...

-Harry
Old Aug 30th 2003, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Dante is an unknown quantity at this point

I called my tax office today concerning my P-85 application and was told that their processing time is currently 10 weeks, mainly due to so many staff going on holiday at this time of year. She says that usually they work hard to have it sorted before the departure date you have to state on the form. I have my fingers crossed.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those Brits who filed the P85 tax form...

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I got mine in 2 months. That was September last year.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:30 am
Just Joined

JoanneKarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know how to do it without a P45?? I lost mine!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I sent off the completed P85 with the top copy of my P45 to the Tax Office back in Feb this year.

After chasing the Tax Office (by phone no less) several times, a cheque was finally sent to my parents in May.

The best bit was that I also asked Inland Revenue to write a confirmation letter to me (in the US) about when and how much was paid. They got the date wrong (claimed it was paid in February) as well as the actual amount paid to me.

So, it took three months to get a refund. It certainly would've taken longer (if at all) had I not checked up on the progress of the application.

What a bunch of monkeys! Couldn't organise a proverbial in a brewery.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm working on about 6 weeks now. It didnt help that I left it to my mum to send off and she forgot to post parts 2 and 3 of the p45 which the inland revenue informed me of by mail here in the states.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JoanneKarr
Anyone know how to do it without a P45?? I lost mine!
"Officially" copies of P45s are not available, however if you call your old employer they might be able to write out a new one for you.

If you can get a blank P45 form from somewhere (e.g. a friend who employs people) you could fill it in yourself if you know the exact figures.

Otherwise you will have to wait until the end of the tax year to claim your refund - and then you will need to know the exact numbers to put in your tax return (even if your employer won't give you another P45 they should be able to tell you the figures).

As you quit your UK job already you won't be sent a P60 in April next year - the P45 is supposed to substitute for this.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

I lost my P45 in the move as well. I talked to a lady at the tax office before sending in my P85, and she told me that if I had a recent pay slip that I could send in, then it wasn't a problem. Like I said, I'm still waiting, but hopefully it won't be a problem when it is actually processed.

-Harry
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Still waiting, ho hum........Feb this year but I had my own accounts as I was self employed which might make it more drawn out, plus i was in 2002/2003 Tax year.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told I would have to fill in a P50 in get a rebate- is this correct

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Can you guys tell me when is the best time to send it off, I am awaiting the embassy to inform me when my interview will be. Should I start filling in the form now?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 8:22 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by veryfunny
Can you guys tell me when is the best time to send it off, I am awaiting the embassy to inform me when my interview will be. Should I start filling in the form now?
You can't send it in until you have a definite date for leaving the UK and a final P45. Mine was sent in by a friend two days after I left (see my timeline) and the cheque came through a couple of weeks ago.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
You can't send it in until you have a definite date for leaving the UK and a final P45. Mine was sent in by a friend two days after I left (see my timeline) and the cheque came through a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks, that was very helpful. Looking at your timeline, I noticed that your EAD arrives about 2 months from your application date. From what I have seen on this site there does not seem to be a uniform timeline for that.