Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Third Country Quarantine Options for Parents from The UK?

Third Country Quarantine Options for Parents from The UK?

Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Third Country Quarantine Options for Parents from The UK?

Can we make a list of country that People who have been in the UK for past 14 days can travel to go quarantine given that the travel ban does not seem to be lifting anytime soon. Science has gone out of the window! If the Delta Varinant is so bad why aren’t they putting mask mandate back in place? Why is the US Open being allowed to go ahead with full capacity fans? Now I’m more than disappointed but I’m angry that they have no care or sympathy for families who have been separated

Mexico seems to be No 1 country choice. Do they have to be inside the room full 14 days or are they allowed to go out for a walk?

What about Canada? I’ve been reading reports saying it’ll open to Vaccinated people from September 21. Although land borders are closed can they fly into the US from Canada?

Any other European Countries they can fly to?

Old Aug 26th 2021, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third Country Quarantine Options for Parents from The UK?

Croatia is an option, as is Mexico.

I'm planning on going back to the UK for Christmas and then Canada if the ban is still in place.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

In order of preference:
  1. Canada
  2. Mexico
  3. Other countries
NB: your visa may be revoked erroneously if traveling from other countries due to a technical glitch involving Schengen/non-Schengen European countries, particularly affecting Croatia.

See here:
https://qz.com/2051023/europeans-tra...bp-in-croatia/

In Mexico, you are free to do whatever you want during the 14 nights "layover" (first-hand experience of my family).

Last edited by destone; Aug 26th 2021 at 9:36 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Can we make a list of country that People who have been in the UK for past 14 days can travel to go quarantine ?
Go and read the Presidential Proclamation and then pick a country - any country - that's not one of the ones listed.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Go and read the Presidential Proclamation and then pick a country - any country - that's not one of the ones listed.
Bonus points awarded for:
  • Nice/safe place to visit
  • Cheap
  • Plenty of flights to UK and US (direct)
  • No visa requirements
For me, Canada makes it work it as I can visit my company's offices there and not just waste two weeks somewhere.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 10:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
Bonus points awarded for:
  • Nice/safe place to visit
  • Cheap
  • Plenty of flights to UK and US (direct)
  • No visa requirements
For me, Canada makes it work it as I can visit my company's offices there and not just waste two weeks somewhere.
2 weeks holiday at an office where you likely can’t work legally (unless you already have a visa) seem like a lame use of 2 weeks holiday. There are places in the Caribbean offering the ability to remote works to people who were WFH in the US, not sure it it applied to everyone. The issue you will have is many places there are reached by “transit” through the US, which you can’t do since transit here is not airside like some other countries.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
2 weeks holiday at an office where you likely can’t work legally (unless you already have a visa) seem like a lame use of 2 weeks holiday. There are places in the Caribbean offering the ability to remote works to people who were WFH in the US, not sure it it applied to everyone. The issue you will have is many places there are reached by “transit” through the US, which you can’t do since transit here is not airside like some other countries.
Not vacation, business trip to visit colleagues we've not seen for years anyway. Agreed can't work (even remotely) from anywhere else. Caribbean would be nice but very expensive and hard to fly direct from the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:38 am
Just Joined

acol is an unknown quantity at this point

Before my baby was given his visa last year I traveled to Aruba for two weeks with him so we could spend 90 days (esta) here in USA with my husband/baby’s dad. We now have baby’s visa and moved here in May. Aruba was AMAZING. I would definitely recommend it. I used an air bnb and me and baby watched the sunset on the beach every night. Although stressful on my own it was an experience I’ll never forget. This was in September 2020 so you’d need to check that you can fly there from uk and still fly to USA from there but I’m pretty sure you can!
Old Aug 27th 2021, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Africa - but not South Africa!
Old Aug 27th 2021, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
2 weeks holiday at an office where you likely can’t work legally (unless you already have a visa) seem like a lame use of 2 weeks holiday.
Except that you can in Canada, it's not as draconian as the US. You could go to Canada and work there for months without needing a work permit, as long as the work meets the criteria i.e. not taking a job away from Canadians.

"The business visitor work permit exemption under paragraph 186(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) facilitates entry to Canada for foreign nationals who intend to engage in international business activities in Canada.

General Criteria:

The foreign national is not entering the Canadian labour market (for example, they are not engaging in a business activity that is competitive in the marketplace).
The foreign national is not directly entering the Canadian labour market if
  • the primary source of the remuneration for the business activity remains outside Canada
  • the principal place of business of the foreign national is located outside Canada"
HTH.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Except that you can in Canada, it's not as draconian as the US. You could go to Canada and work there for months without needing a work permit, as long as the work meets the criteria i.e. not taking a job away from Canadians.
That's super interesting, I was just going to treat it as a business trip like before COVID by physically visiting our office here. This actually is more flexible than I expected.
  • come to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labour market
  • are visiting Canada temporarily to
    • look for ways to grow your business
    • invest
    • advance your business relationships
I have some 'digital nomad' friends I'll have to tell them they can work remotely from Canada!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html