British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   A third country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/third-country-191920/)

MrsLondon Nov 19th 2003 11:40 am

A third country

If you could not live in either the UK or US, but could live in any other country, what country do you think you would choose, and why?
I would choose the south of France, because of the great scenery, the sea, the food and the warm weather, and French is the only language I speak any of apart from English!
Hubby, I'm pretty sure, would choose the Netherlands, because he loves the laid back attitude and friendliness of the people.
If we had to narrow it down even more (to a specific city) he'd no doubt choose Amsterdam and I'd choose Nice. Heh, we'd have to do winter in one, summer in the other! ;)
Don't know what hubby would do about the lingo, but most Dutch speak English anyway I think.

Rockgurl Nov 19th 2003 12:21 pm

Definitely Sweden, and perferably Stockholm. It's so civilised and the people are educated, intelligent and cultured. I think Swedish society is the perfect society...the closest to Utopia we have anyway. It's just learning the language that's the difficult thing.

BritishInOhio Nov 19th 2003 12:24 pm

Re: A third country

Originally posted by MrsLondon
If you could not live in either the UK or US, but could live in any other country, what country do you think you would choose, and why?
I would choose the south of France, because of the great scenery, the sea, the food and the warm weather, and French is the only language I speak any of apart from English!
Hubby, I'm pretty sure, would choose the Netherlands, because he loves the laid back attitude and friendliness of the people.
If we had to narrow it down even more (to a specific city) he'd no doubt choose Amsterdam and I'd choose Nice. Heh, we'd have to do winter in one, summer in the other! ;)
Don't know what hubby would do about the lingo, but most Dutch speak English anyway I think.
Prauge, beer is cheap, chicks are hot, great classical music concerts at afordable prices and great people. The only trouble is that it is too popular now and is turning into the new Dublin full of drunk stag and hen parties which is a shame.

Englishmum Nov 19th 2003 12:33 pm

Originally posted by MrsLondon

Without hesitation it would be Sydney, Australia. I've been fortunate to have visited Oz three times. I loved the Gold Coast and the Port Douglas area for the Great Barrier Reef but it is tropical and just too hot. Tasmania is just like a quiet, countrified version of England and I just didn't like Melbourne (too industrial). But my heart is in Sydney as it is so lively and the people are so laid back and friendly, I just love the 'no worries' attitude. I'm getting wistful thinking of those lovely seafood meals at Doyle's at Watson's Bay, the markets at Paddington, having a laugh with the transvestites in the pubs around Oxford St and going a couple of hours south to Pebbly beach - a lovely sandy beach with kangaroos and colourful parrots. Heavenly! Then of course the Blue Mountains are within easy reach of Sydney too.

Now - trying to get my husband to transfer to the Sydney office is impossible - the tax rates are so high in Oz that he refuses to even contemplate moving there, so we're stuck in the States and the rude, uptight, narcisistic New Yorkers are driving me *mad*. :(

NC Penguin Nov 19th 2003 1:22 pm

I'd consider living in New Zealand. I've never visited the country myself but from what I've heard from Kiwis and friends who've visited, it has a lot of appeal.

e.g. it's so spacious, it is clean, the people are friendly, the quality of life is high and of course, there are penguins.

The downside of life in NZ is that it's so far from other countries and visiting family in the US and UK would be a considerable journey (and expense).

NC Penguin

Yosser Nov 19th 2003 1:43 pm

I would pick Perth in W.Australia.

I spent a year travelling and working around Oz and loved the place, I loved the great barrier reef for the scuba diving, sydney for the cultre, melbourne and the coastal road for sheer beauty and nice climate, but Perth had it all, always sunny, CLEAN city relaxed people and not to crowded.

My mum just got back from NZ and she loved it there too nice relaxing way of living etc. Its on my list of places to visit as you can snowboard in the morning and surf in the afternoon so you get the best of both worlds:)

Patrick Nov 19th 2003 2:08 pm

Montseratt in the Caribean, I have been there once and always said I will go back. Second choice would be would be one of the greek islands or one of the baleric islands as long as there where no english tourists who think the height of having a good holiday is getting paraletic and fighting!

Patrick

sibsie Nov 19th 2003 2:11 pm

I've done 18 months in Spain. Longest 18 months of my life! US is next and NZ would be my next choice.

Pimpbot Nov 19th 2003 3:05 pm

Isla Mujeres a small Island off Cancun in the Mexican caribean. Most relaxing place I've ever been. Beautifull beaches, clear blue sea and great roads to ride a moped around all day.

rogerpenycate Nov 19th 2003 4:33 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
Without hesitation it would be Sydney, Australia. I've been fortunate to have visited Oz three times. I loved the Gold Coast and the Port Douglas area for the Great Barrier Reef but it is tropical and just too hot. Tasmania is just like a quiet, countrified version of England and I just didn't like Melbourne (too industrial). But my heart is in Sydney as it is so lively and the people are so laid back and friendly, I just love the 'no worries' attitude. I'm getting wistful thinking of those lovely seafood meals at Doyle's at Watson's Bay, the markets at Paddington, having a laugh with the transvestites in the pubs around Oxford St and going a couple of hours south to Pebbly beach - a lovely sandy beach with kangaroos and colourful parrots. Heavenly! Then of course the Blue Mountains are within easy reach of Sydney too.

Now - trying to get my husband to transfer to the Sydney office is impossible - the tax rates are so high in Oz that he refuses to even contemplate moving there, so we're stuck in the States and the rude, uptight, narcisistic New Yorkers are driving me *mad*. :(

I'd have to agree with Sydney.
I also lived for 4 months in a place called Katoomba which is in the Blue Mountains, a beautiful spot.
The only downside is when I got there the only job I could get was cleaning toilets in a hotel, but....
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

Bluegrass Lass Nov 19th 2003 5:07 pm

It's just gotta be Espana! I only spent 2 weeks there last year, in and around Malaga on the Costa del Sol, but it was absolutely beautiful. I loved the people, the atmosphere, the food (paella, yuumm!), and the music. And I can speak a little Espanol so that helps.

Jamie

scotch03 Nov 19th 2003 5:09 pm

I think this is the second vote for Prague.

The city is beautiful, the arts are creative, the buildings amazing, girls gorgeous and I speak a tad Czech.

meauxna Nov 19th 2003 5:40 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Second choice would be would be one of the greek islands or one of the baleric islands as long as there where no english tourists who think the height of having a good holiday is getting paraletic and fighting!

Patrick
hmmm, why do you think we decided it was time to leave Rodos behind...?
Can you spell "Faliraki"?

Bookworm Nov 21st 2003 3:59 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Definitely Sweden, and perferably Stockholm. It's so civilised and the people are educated, intelligent and cultured. I think Swedish society is the perfect society...the closest to Utopia we have anyway. It's just learning the language that's the difficult thing.
Hmm, I think I would agree. I lived for the past 11 years in Sweden and it is an amazing country. The social safety and welfare can drive you crazy sometimes - it is almost to comfortable, but since I moved to the US I must say that Sweden really does look like paradise compared to here.
The language isn't so difficult - I picked it up after 6 months. The tricky thing is to get rid of the accent and not to sound like a foreigner for Swedes switch to English as soon as they spot your accent and they all speak excellent English. Comfy, but not good if you want to learn the language...

ScarlettHill Nov 21st 2003 4:05 am

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Isla Mujeres a small Island off Cancun in the Mexican caribean. Most relaxing place I've ever been. Beautifull beaches, clear blue sea and great roads to ride a moped around all day.
OK you sold me.

What he said.

I want to go THERE.

NOW!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett