Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of returning to UK from US - are there others like us? (No Oz exp., please)

Thinking of returning to UK from US - are there others like us? (No Oz exp., please)

Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:24 pm
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thinking of returning to UK from US - are there others like us? (No Oz exp., please)

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, he checks regularly with all the largest local employers: City and County positions, Blackbaud (huge software corporation), both local colleges, etc. So many I.T. jobs are specialized and most of them involve Java or programming, which he is not experienced in.

As mentioned, he does not limit his job search to strictly I.T. jobs - he has other skills and qualifications, as well, but so far: nothing.

It doesn't help that South Carolina has the second or third highest unemployment rate in the nation at the moment.

Yeah michigan is second in unemployment i think....it took me over 2 months to even find a temp job and it's part time and I'm the us citizen...ugh....I have over 15 years experience in office environments but I get these letters saying you have great experience but we had over 300 applicants and picked someone else...it's kind of disheartening. Paul (uk) has been here since September 2003 and hasn't worked yet because I couldn't afford the EAD at the time. He had his permanent residency interview in January this year and they didn't even have all his paperwork from his London Embassy interview because they couldn't match them up. We've been screwed by immigration...have done 3 inquiries and have heard nothing....ugh...I don't mind him not working because he watches the kids but i'm sure he would like to work.....LIke i said earlier I'm the one that really wants to go live there though. I loved it there the 4 different times I visited and felt like I was at home every time I came there.....even though I'm not a UK citizen I have a lot of heritage there...my grandma's maiden name is Butterworth and there is a township in Lancashire (i think it is) that her family is from. I just want our whole family to be together and my kids are actually excited about moving there even though they're only 7 years old and 6 years old and haven't been there...they just wanna meet their step-brothers and sister.

Anyway, it sounds to me it's time for you two to go home.....it's no good to be always reminiscing about a place when you actually want to be there and it sounds it might be a better choice for you both!!

Carey
Old Jul 13th 2005, 2:27 am
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thinking of returning to UK from US - are there others like us? (No Oz exp., please)

Hi DDL

I remember you from the Marriage Visa forum - we went thru the Visa process about the same time. Just found this post, and wanted to add a bit of support.

We're 30s/40s and been married for 6 years (I moved to the UK on a wife visa) 2 kids from my husband's previous marriage, bills, insurance, responsibilities...as much as we wanted to make the move, we both knew we couldn't do it without a definite job offer for him. Fortunately, after months of networking in the UK and letting everyone know of his 'ultimate plan', he was able to make a transfer within his company. This was after waiting 5 years for the 'right' time! We finally made the US move in February of this year.

We both miss the UK - the kids, the family, neighbours, fish & chips, limited/commercial-free TV, Sainsburys, proper bangers, etc. We've got our British DVD comforts...found a shop in Aiken, SC that sells British food...and we're doing touristy things. Well, we're in Augusta, GA now, so we do have to go further afield! But, as in the UK, we're only a couple of hours from hills and sea...

We're moving to the Atlanta area next month...I would certainly think that a city/area of that size would offer HUGE opportunity there for your husband, as well as yourself. It would also give you back some of the city excitement that you probably miss.

Don't give up yet...take the time to tell everyone you know about your 'ultimate plan'...you never know who might be listening!! Best of luck!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of returning to UK from US - are there others like us? (No Oz exp., please)

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Hi DDL

I remember you from the Marriage Visa forum - we went thru the Visa process about the same time. Just found this post, and wanted to add a bit of support.

We're 30s/40s and been married for 6 years (I moved to the UK on a wife visa) 2 kids from my husband's previous marriage, bills, insurance, responsibilities...as much as we wanted to make the move, we both knew we couldn't do it without a definite job offer for him. Fortunately, after months of networking in the UK and letting everyone know of his 'ultimate plan', he was able to make a transfer within his company. This was after waiting 5 years for the 'right' time! We finally made the US move in February of this year.

We both miss the UK - the kids, the family, neighbours, fish & chips, limited/commercial-free TV, Sainsburys, proper bangers, etc. We've got our British DVD comforts...found a shop in Aiken, SC that sells British food...and we're doing touristy things. Well, we're in Augusta, GA now, so we do have to go further afield! But, as in the UK, we're only a couple of hours from hills and sea...

We're moving to the Atlanta area next month...I would certainly think that a city/area of that size would offer HUGE opportunity there for your husband, as well as yourself. It would also give you back some of the city excitement that you probably miss.

Don't give up yet...take the time to tell everyone you know about your 'ultimate plan'...you never know who might be listening!! Best of luck!

Hello, yes I remember you, too - good to hear from you! I'm glad things have worked out for y'all. Augusta has a lot going for it, but Atlanta will be much more exciting, I'm sure! (I know of a couple of great tea rooms just north of the city.)

Best wishes, and thanks for your support/feedback.