Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of retiring in the US

Thinking of retiring in the US

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of retiring in the US

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
"Homer likes Krispy kremes"......
They had them that long ago?
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:49 am
Just Joined

shadowhood is an unknown quantity at this point

Health cover is scarey, I'm covered on my wifes federal plan, I went for simple ("yes it's red") blood test for my yearly medical and some X rays for a lower back problem, got the bill yesterday $1200, with a $230 deductible........
OK so the NHS is starting to sound a bit better...keep talking.....

If only they would open more Walmarts, some Old Navy Shops and turn the heat up a bit then I would stay in Scotland (not forgetting to get rid of the killer midgie).
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:50 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They had them that long ago?
What do you think his Odyssey was for....please
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, at least waiting in the NHS surgery seemed sort of democratic. Here they're just trying to pack the patients in for more money. It's like the airplanes - they over book to protect their income from the no shows.

Have the same reluctance to reveal their tariffs and charges, too!

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shadowhood

If only they would open more Walmarts, some Old Navy Shops and turn the heat up a bit then I would stay in Scotland (not forgetting to get rid of the killer midgie).
Don't you have ASDA, that's Walmart....
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:52 am

I had a hernia repair on the NHS, took me 13 months to get it, but didn't cost me a penny, How much is BUPA nowadays? Horses for courses I guess.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Don't you have ASDA, that's Walmart....
Yep, ASDA have already opened up 3 Walmart/ASDA superstores in Scotland althought they're not a patch on the Walmart supercentres over in the US.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:53 am

I had a hernia repair on the NHS, took me 13 months to get it, but didn't cost me a penny, How much is BUPA nowadays? Horses for courses I guess.
When did I turn into 'cliche man'?
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Not as much as the US coverage. Say about £60 - £200 per month depending on coverage etc...
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:54 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If only they would open more Walmarts,
So you like:
a) queuing @ checkouts?
b) making up the difference between Walmart's employees' wages and subsistence living out of your own taxes?
c) living under an unelected tyrant?
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:55 am

Yep, ASDA have already opened up 3 Walmart/ASDA superstores in Scotland althought they're not a patch on the Walmart supercentres over in the US.
Go to france, it's in the EU, cheap wine, good food, sunshine, unfortunately full of frenchmen, but nothings perfect....
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So you like:
a) queuing @ checkouts?
b) making up the difference between Walmart's employees' wages and subsistence living out of your own taxes?
c) living under an unelected tyrant?
Enter Fatbrit stage left with the political comment.........
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Go to france, it's in the EU, cheap wine, good food, sunshine, unfortunately full of frenchmen, but nothings perfect....
Hey, I've had a lot of fun with those Frenchmen. Allegedly.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:00 am
Septicity

Enter Fatbrit stage left with the political comment.........

Realistic I like to think.

Capitalism's a fine system, but not perfect. Walmart is just a great example to go along with US healthcare to demonstrate it don't always work!
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Hey, I've had a lot of fun with those Frenchmen. Allegedly.
C'mon now guys deep down the French are alright...I'll let you think about that phrase....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.