Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of retiring in the US

Wikiposts

Thinking of retiring in the US

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of retiring in the US

Originally Posted by shadowhood
My god, how nice does a small cottage in the Highlands of Scotland look now....

Sounds lovely. Can we come and visit?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

shadowhood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sounds lovely. Can we come and visit?
Any time...you supply the nacho's I'll supply the beer and logs for the fire...
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Surely $1000 to $2000 per month for healthcare includes free 'new body parts' for the rest of your life???? My god, how nice does a small cottage in the Highlands of Scotland look now.... Ah well I suppose I had to find out.

No chance of retiring to the states it is then. Thanks for all your stern advice guys...

just as an example, last year i had chest pains so went to the ER, ran a bunch of tests, spent the night,in the place less than 12hrs
over $16000.......insurance pays 80% ...20% to me ....$3200
i think they charged me $24 for asprin!!!

also broke my wrist 2 years ago....didnt go to doctor for above reasons (cost)
figured it was a sprain......finally decided to go to dr had surgury
another $16-17000!!!
Surgery......took approx 1 hr anasthetic guy charged $1800
total scam...on top of that i have 2 diabetic kids. its hard work

bottom line ..get sick or in an auto accident and they will clean you out!

my 2cents
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Any time...you supply the nacho's I'll supply the beer and logs for the fire...

Do I have to bring the nachos from the States, or can you get them in Scotland now? And if you don't mind, a little single malt would be delightful by that fire...
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Farmhouse in the South of France, will do you sir......
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

shadowhood is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to be a nice Cheese sauce over here..now they've taken it off the shelves...bah!

So you bring the Nachos over and I'll open up the 'Laphroagh'....

The health system sounds a bit scary! Especially for older people moving over. I'm 35 just now BTW but had seriously wanted to move over at 55, but alas that is all down the s**tter now. Ah well a 3 month vacation it will be then during the Scottish winter months.....
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Farmhouse in the South of France, will do you sir......
Ooh, yes, I'll come and visit there, too.

Red wine, goat cheese, olives, figs, peaches..................
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:41 pm

The health system sounds a bit scary!

Well that's the whole problem, it's not a system it's a business.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be a nice Cheese sauce over here..now they've taken it off the shelves...bah!

The health system sounds a bit scary! Especially for older people moving over. I'm 35 just now BTW but had seriously wanted to move over at 55, but alas that is all down the s**tter now. Ah well a 3 month vacation it will be then during the Scottish winter months.....
In twenty years you might need to actually bring the food over here if the US continues on its current path.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's the whole problem, it's not a system it's a business.

Thank that's bizness.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Health cover is scarey, I'm covered on my wifes federal plan, I went for simple ("yes it's red") blood test for my yearly medical and some X rays for a lower back problem, got the bill yesterday $1200, with $230 payable

Last edited by gruffbrown; Jul 22nd 2005 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thank that's bizness.
Of course, my mistake. But one doesn't even get a free krispy kreme donut in the waiting room.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:45 pm
Septicity

Of course, my mistake. But one doesn't even get a free krispy kreme donut in the waiting room.

Could usually have eaten a box full given the time I wait to see my PCP.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:46 pm

"Homer likes Krispy kremes"......
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Could usually have eaten a box full given the time I wait to see my PCP.

Yes, at least waiting in the NHS surgery seemed sort of democratic. Here they're just trying to pack the patients in for more money. It's like the airplanes - they over book to protect their income from the no shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.