British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thinking of moving to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thinking-moving-us-707140/)

AileenK Feb 27th 2011 1:56 pm

Thinking of moving to US

Hi All,
I've had a job offer which means a move to the US from the UK.
I'm really excited about it and it's what I wanted for the experience and career.
Visa etc. not a problem as my hubby (of 14 years) is a US citizen, problem is he'll not be able to move over with me straight away due to his own career and selling our house etc - so he may not be completely joining me for first 18 months. We've 2 children (7 & 4) so it means I'd be doing the single mum bit for a while (eek!) My family is naturally telling me I'm crazy.

What do you all think? Any experience of this out there? Do-able or completely nuts. Please let me know!

Aileen

WARPed Feb 27th 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to US

Is a visa also on offer from the potential new employer? If not then I believe you will have problems as I don't think you can move here on a visa related to your husbands citizenship unless he moves with you....Of course I could be wrong on this.

AileenK Feb 27th 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 9205177)
Is a visa also on offer from the potential new employer? If not then I believe you will have problems as I don't think you can move here on a visa related to your husbands citizenship unless he moves with you....Of course I could be wrong on this.

No, it's actually my existing employer but they have said I'd need a greencard within 12 months. Not sure about the rules of him living there - we're going to look into and potentially revise the plans!

Jerseygirl Feb 27th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by AileenK (Post 9205183)
No, it's actually my existing employer but they have said I'd need a greencard within 12 months. Not sure about the rules of him living there - we're going to look into and potentially revise the plans!

Hi...welcome to BE.

I suggest you post your questions in the US Marriage Based Visa forum. Please take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. Also it's worth reading through any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Rete, Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help.