Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Short Hills NJ - Millburn Schools??

Thinking of moving to Short Hills NJ - Millburn Schools??

Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

kikivoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Short Hills NJ - Millburn Schools??

Hi, I'm new to BE.

My husband has been offered a 3 year position in Manhattan and we are currently considering whether to make the move.
We are a family of 4 (plus dog!) mid 40's with 12 year old girl/boy twins who are currently in Year 7 in a private school in Colchester.

We are very lucky in that we will be given a healthy housing allowance for a rental for the 3 years, and as hubby would be located downtown we are basing our search in New Jersey, specifically Short Hills for the schools.
I had my heart set on Greenwich/Riverside/Cos Cob CT for a while but I understand the commute to downtown is not good, so NJ seemed a better bet location wise.

Hubby and I are planning a 'look see' visit early July to check out the areas, houses and schools (although I know they are now closed for the summer I'm trying to work out if there is anyone at the school during the summer that we can talk to).

Does anyone have experience of moving from the UK to Millburn schools and can offer thoughts on how they compare to UK private schools?

My other big concern is that after 3 years we will probably return to the UK and my children will re-enter the UK schooling system in Year 11 straight in to GCSE's, not great! I'm really worried that they would be at a disadvantage. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any pointers, tips, advice etc!
Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Short Hills NJ - Millburn Schools??

Hi and welcome to BE.

I lived in NJ for many years. My daughter went to The Peck School in Morristown, then high school at Pingry in Martinsville. The office staff work through the summer holidays, therefore you should be able to make contact with the Admissions Director of both schools.

You may get quite a shock when it comes to school fees vs UK fees. Kindergarten starts around $40K.

https://www.peckschool.org/
https://www.pingry.org/about

I don’t know what the current position is but there is usually a long waiting list for both schools.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 7:48 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kikivoss View Post
.... My other big concern is that after 3 years we will probably return to the UK and my children will re-enter the UK schooling system in Year 11 straight in to GCSE's, not great! I'm really worried that they would be at a disadvantage. Has anyone done this? .....
I thought year 11 was age 15-16 and the school year in which GCSEs are taken, so you would be returning them half way through the GCSE program. Right?

At that age I would stay put with them, and if your husband takes the job offer, you can have some pretty cool, long holidays in the US.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Board?

How could they go back and straight into GCSE's? Practically.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 9:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others, you could seriously compromise these childrens educations by going this route.

Is there a possibility of being sponsored for a Green Card?
Old Jun 21st 2019, 6:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kikivoss View Post
Hi, I'm new to BE.

My husband has been offered a 3 year position in Manhattan and we are currently considering whether to make the move.
We are a family of 4 (plus dog!) mid 40's with 12 year old girl/boy twins who are currently in Year 7 in a private school in Colchester.

We are very lucky in that we will be given a healthy housing allowance for a rental for the 3 years, and as hubby would be located downtown we are basing our search in New Jersey, specifically Short Hills for the schools.
I had my heart set on Greenwich/Riverside/Cos Cob CT for a while but I understand the commute to downtown is not good, so NJ seemed a better bet location wise.

Hubby and I are planning a 'look see' visit early July to check out the areas, houses and schools (although I know they are now closed for the summer I'm trying to work out if there is anyone at the school during the summer that we can talk to).

Does anyone have experience of moving from the UK to Millburn schools and can offer thoughts on how they compare to UK private schools?

My other big concern is that after 3 years we will probably return to the UK and my children will re-enter the UK schooling system in Year 11 straight in to GCSE's, not great! I'm really worried that they would be at a disadvantage. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any pointers, tips, advice etc!
It sounds like you need to look at international schools that may be able to continue the UK education.

I would make sure you understand the US tax treatment of the generous housing allowance.

In terms of commute from CT vs. NJ make sure you look at the specifics. It likely both would involve a drive to station, commuter train and then either PATH or subway transfer unless you are talking about driving in everyday. From Penn or GCT to Wall Street are both direct subways. If the NJ Transit line you would be on had a easy transfer to the PATH train NJ should be faster.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Short Hills NJ - Millburn Schools

Englishmum has lived in Milburn, NJ for many years and has posted some very good info, which will probably be of interest to you. Her husband worked/works in the Times Sq area. I suggest you take a read through some of her threads/posts.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/memb...glishmum-1486/
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 9:49 am
Just Joined

kikivoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much everyone. You've all mentioned things that have been on my mind, mainly putting the children at a major disadvantage moving them back to the UK in the year of GCSE's.
I think I'd better look in to International schools!

And thanks 'tht' for the heads up on tax treatment of housing allowances, we'd better look in to that!

I'll also have a read through Englishmum's posts/threads.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated x
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 10:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

They may not qualify for home student university tuition rates either if they have been back in the U.K. for less than 3 years, might want to check that out too.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 1:11 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
They may not qualify for home student university tuition rates either if they have been back in the U.K. for less than 3 years, might want to check that out too.
If their father, and by extension the rest of the family, are on temporary ("L") visas, then that shouldn't impact eligibility for domestic tuition rates in the UK. If they transferred to green cards (permanent residence) then it almost certainly would impact eligibility.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 22nd 2019 at 1:14 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
If their father, and by extension the rest of the family, are on temporary ("L") visas, then that shouldn't impact eligibility for domestic tuition rates in the UK. If they transferred to green cards (permanent residence) then it almost certainly would impact eligibility.
Yep. Absolutely. As I often comment #1 son WAS eligible for UK rates, because we were on the O-1. #2 wasn't because by then we had all got greencards. Of course, the greatest irony is that #2 son is paying less in the US than #1 is in the UK, and he will earn enough over the summer in his internship to need no financial support the coming year.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a small town a bit further north in NJ, closer to Parsippany and my husband recently changed his role from local to working in the Chelsea area. Most from our town get the bus in (pretty much an hour), but he drives in daily and tries to avoid peak times. Its under an hour door to door in, home is another story...
We did look at Short Hills initially but when we came for our area tour it was just after hurricane Irene and lots of houses were struggling with flooding. At the time we did not need the commute to the city so decided against the premium of a train line town. As well as International schools, some schools offer IB (International Baccalaureate) so thats another option to look into. I also have 12 year old twins, although they are both boys. I always knew it was probably a permanent move, although we were on 3 year visas initially, now just waiting to apply for citizenship, so we went with a town with good public schools. In 2 days we will have been here 7 years and have no plans to move until the boys are all sorted at college.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the Candidates for 2020 are standing on a platform of free further education/reimbursement of school loans, something to bear in mind.