Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Orlando

Thinking of moving to Orlando

Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by Ukbigm
..... And its nice to see a "moving to the US" comment not being bombarded with visa questions. does make it sound a bit elitist on here at times when i read those responses about what you can and can't do.
Compliance with the law is elitist? ...... You are going to fit in well in Florida!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh oh, here we go.
Not exactly what I said.
I have just seen people enquiring on this forum about a location at the beginning of their decision making process which may not have got to the visa stage.
I was looking at areas without knowing exactly what visa i would be coming over on. That was someone else's decision (my employer) based on what i was qualified for. It was an E2 in the end, but L1 and H1 were discussed. I am not a lawyer so left it for those that know about it based on my personal circumstances.
But if upon asking where good places for my kids to grow up, 90% were pointing out i had no visa and i did not know what visa, I have to be honest, I would have been put off asking any other questions or seeking out any ex pats if that is the overwhelming impression.
Just an observation. Of course you need a visa everyone knows that but when posts read "come back on here when you know what you are talking about", could be a put off I think you'll agree.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Uh oh, here we go.
Not exactly what I said.
I have just seen people enquiring on this forum about a location at the beginning of their decision making process which may not have got to the visa stage.
I was looking at areas without knowing exactly what visa i would be coming over on. That was someone else's decision (my employer) based on what i was qualified for. It was an E2 in the end, but L1 and H1 were discussed. I am not a lawyer so left it for those that know about it based on my personal circumstances.
But if upon asking where good places for my kids to grow up, 90% were pointing out i had no visa and i did not know what visa, I have to be honest, I would have been put off asking any other questions or seeking out any ex pats if that is the overwhelming impression.
Just an observation. Of course you need a visa everyone knows that but when posts read "come back on here when you know what you are talking about", could be a put off I think you'll agree.
Stick around a bit more and you'll soon see that most people that enquire on the forums just don't have much chance of a visa, so really are putting the cart before the horse. And not 'everyone knows that' a visa is required to move to the US, again stick around a bit more and you'll soon see threads from people that think they can just up sticks and move!

You probably didn't get asked about it in this thread, because in your first post you said you already lived in NJ, so most probably assumed you are already a USC or LPR.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 7th 2014 at 1:05 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Stick around a bit more and you'll soon see that most people that enquire on the forums just don't have much chance of a visa, so really are putting the cart before the horse. And not 'everyone knows that' a visa is required to move to the US, again stick around a bit more and you'll soon see threads from people that think they can just up sticks and move! .....
Exactly!
..... Of course you need a visa everyone knows that .....
Er, no, "everyone" does not. Or at very least they don't appreciate how extremely difficult it might be to get one, if not practically impossible.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly!
Er, no, "everyone" does not. Or at very least they don't appreciate how extremely difficult it might be to get one, if not practically impossible.
Why is it so hard for Brits to get to the States to live and work when it seems so easy for people from other countries .
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Why is it so hard for Brits to get to the States to live and work when it seems so easy for people from other countries .
Apart from the Diversity Lottery, it isn't, your perception is faulty. In fact that the UK has never been DL eligible despite its small size tells us that in fact quite large numbers of UKCs immigrate to the US, working within the visa rules, so both your perceptions (above) are faulty.

I suspect that rather fewer people from France, Germany, Poland, Greece, .... etc. suddenly decide they want to up-sticks and move to America.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 7th 2014 at 2:01 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want anger, I wasn't aiming for anger.
I am a happy go lucky person honest!

I just think sometimes, and i mean sometimes, and i am not implying anyone on here right now, a warm and fuzzy is an approach worth taking, as I have seen the opposite.

I have no doubt there is frustration but i am in a job where the detail tends to cause problems so if someone asks what colour a banana is, I say yellow. without getting in to the bananas are actually green and then go yellow blah blah blah. I don't work for a greengrocer by the way.
But i try and answer at face value. Not look for banana skins (god i am obsessed!) first.

And i don't know if its the case for you all but i had to stipulate where i was living for the visa. In fact they tried to catch me out in my interview at the embassy.
If i was asked by my employer to move to Miami for example. i did my research by asking this forum best places for a young family and got back iffy schools high crime and the best places were way out of my price bracket, I would have said no before the visa started.

Anyway, going back to a previous message, thanks to everyone on this thread for the advice on Orlando and surrounding areas, my personal experience of this forum is great.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I suspect that rather fewer people from France, Germany, Poland, Greece, .... etc. suddenly decide they want to up-sticks and move to America.
Or hang out at a Brit site