Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Orlando

Thinking of moving to Orlando

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by Ruth16
A lot of Brits own homes there, it's a quaint town.
If contrived, synthetic, fake and pretentious (i.e pretending to be something it most definitely isn't) = quaint then I can't argue with you.

Have you ever seen a movie called The Truman Show?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
If contrived, synthetic, fake and pretentious (i.e pretending to be something it most definitely isn't) = quaint then I can't argue with you.

Have you been to Celebration ?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Celebration?
Living there would be weird, like living on a movie set. Even some of the residents apparently think it's weird:
.... Response to Celebration has been mixed, some feeling it is creepy, one resident even admitting it is "Stepford Wife-like, .....
Apparently in the autumn the lamp posts blow out leaf shaped confetti to simulate leaves falling, and at Christmas they blow out soapy foam to simulate snow. WTF!?!?!?

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 3rd 2014 at 9:00 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Celebration ?
I have - lots and lots of times (I live close by), but in a more natural, established and people-oriented community, that wasn't 'imagineered' by Walt Disney Corporation and designed by an up it's own arse consultancy based in California.

The link posted above is right on the money - creepy is exactly what it is.
I agree maybe nice for a fleeting visit - coffee and scones by the (fake) lake - but anyone who would want to live in such a plastic environment is as mad as cheese.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I have - lots and lots of times (I live close by), but in a more natural, established and people-oriented community, that wasn't 'imagineered' by Walt Disney Corporation and designed by an up it's own arse consultancy based in California.

I agree maybe nice for a fleeting visit - coffee and scones by the (fake) lake - but anyone who would want to live in such a plastic environment is as mad as cheese.
Funny my husband thought the same thing the first time we went.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Funny my husband thought the same thing the first time we went.
What? That you're as mad as cheese?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What? That you're as mad as cheese?
That it was phony, mad as cheese....that too
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:31 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice at Christmas time with its "snow" and lights and everything. I could not; however, live there for any period of time whatsoever! Mind you i can't stand the thought of living anywhere that has a HAO at all (different strokes for different folks) i understand the pro's but the con's way outweigh those for me/us. I can't even begin to imagine how the HAO is there? (shudders)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

osmosis is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of square miles 'footprint', Orlando is a big, big place. A big influencer is going to be where you need to be work-wise, because rush-hour traffic here is pretty horrendous.

Granted it was 12 years ago, but when I moved here, I had some quite specific must-have's in mind. I needed to be close to the airport, in a residential community that wasn't zoned for short-term (vacation) rental, established, rather than new 'cookie-cutter' developments that look like they're on the surface of the moon, not ethnically un-balanced (because Orlando is a very ethnically polarized city) and safe, based on publicly available crime stats.

Those requirements ruled out a lot of places for me. I didn't want to live downtown - and very close to downtown is quite skanky - verging on downright dangerous - but lots of younger singles find city living to be more appropriate (if you can afford it).

It may be more appropriate to suggest places you might want to avoid:
Eatonville
Pine Hills
Parramore
Sky Lake
Oak Ridge
Alafaya
Anywhere on or near SR 50
Metro West
Ocoee
Apopka

A little more knowledge of your circumstances may help….

Once again thanks for the feedback. A list of 'avoids' is certainly helpful!

I'll be working just South East of Orlando and I am happy to commute up to 45 mins each way. However far that gets me!

It's just me coming over so don't need a huge place or near good schools. Just some nice local stores/park would be nice. Main thing is avoiding a ghetto, although I currently live in Canary Wharf inLondon which is adjacent to Poplar which is not the greatest!

I have just got off the phone to my HR dept. They are flying me out in a week to get a lay of the land. Guess the best way to find out is have a look around and get a feel for the place!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osmosis
Once again thanks for the feedback. A list of 'avoids' is certainly helpful!

I'll be working just South East of Orlando and I am happy to commute up to 45 mins each way. However far that gets me!

It's just me coming over so don't need a huge place or near good schools. Just some nice local stores/park would be nice. Main thing is avoiding a ghetto, although I currently live in Canary Wharf inLondon which is adjacent to Poplar which is not the greatest!

I have just got off the phone to my HR dept. They are flying me out in a week to get a lay of the land. Guess the best way to find out is have a look around and get a feel for the place!
Then take a look at Avalon Park and Lake Nona.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I think the older neighbourhoods have more character and are far more pedestrians friendly than the newer neighbourhoods, and as much as Celebration is pretty to look at I do agree that it's very synthetic, although they have some lovely restaurants and houses there. It does seem strange watching all the mums in their tennis gear ferrying the kids to school in their souped up golf carts though.

So as well as the places suggested by Awesome Welles look at Thornton Park, College Park, and Delaney Park etc. Hunters Creek has some nice schools too.

Overall the closer to mouse land you get the worse the traffic is, not to mention the I4 near the city. But any city has a lot of traffic.

Personally if you are looking for great places to bring up kids I would choose somewhere other than Florida, for example the Carolinas, but it's horses for courses really and we all want different things

Best of luck with your reccie!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Living there would be weird, like living on a movie set. Even some of the residents apparently think it's weird:
Apparently in the autumn the lamp posts blow out leaf shaped confetti to simulate leaves falling, and at Christmas they blow out soapy foam to simulate snow. WTF!?!?!?
Ha! Stepford wife ish , maybe they should re name it, I think there's more Brits in Florida than in England , they love it, Americans , not as much ,unless retired .
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, for some reason I only got an email when the first couple of responses to my original post went up so have missed the useful ones.

You couldn't pay me to live in Ohio so I guess we all have something in common

I work from home and travel a bit so the airport is good to know.
I will not be visiting the attractions much without visitors from the UK I guess, which is very much like the status quo here. I only really venture to Manhattan with work or visitors so its already rare.

The feedback has been useful. Other towns/cities in Florida may be of interest and I am using the great comments here to start my in depth research.

Thanks again. And its nice to see a "moving to the US" comment not being bombarded with visa questions. does make it sound a bit elitist on here at times when i read those responses about what you can and can't do.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukbigm

And its nice to see a "moving to the US" comment not being bombarded with visa questions. does make it sound a bit elitist on here at times when i read those responses about what you can and can't do.

Why would you be asked that question when you stated upfront that you already live in the US? That question is posed when people start looking for a neighbourhood without first having addressed the question of the visa.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed, but we had a newbie, Osmosis, join in part way through who is about to move out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.