Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Massachusetts

Thinking of moving to Massachusetts

Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Clive is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Thinking of moving to Massachusetts

Hi,

I'm looking into the possibility of moving to Massachusetts / Rhode Island with my wife who is a Nurse and our 7 year old son. We're at the should we shouldn't we stage mainly concearned about our son and the quality of education he will get. Also it looks like we've chosen the most expensive state to buy a house. have we? We would love to hear from any MA / RH based brits who have done this and can scream 'YES YOU SHOULD DO IT !!!' Any help, advice or just encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Clive & Catherine
Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:53 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Hi Clive,

I'm also a nurse and am moving to Connecticut this summer. I spend a lot of time in Mass. and last summer spent some time in Rhode Island on the beach...both are absolutely wonderful. Rhode Island is such a pretty place to live...lucky you! New England is my favourite part of the US and the quality of living is fantastic. Hospitals are modern and nurses well paid, and the houses are gorgeous, big and well-made. The fact your wife is a nurse puts you in just about the best position to be in with regards to visas, as your wife can easily be sponsored for a green card and take you all along with her. Not many people have the opportunity to get an employment-based green card straight away and if you didn't do it you'd never forgive yourself. You can always come back if you don't like it.

Down sides are: your wife will have to take the NCLEX exam which is quite tough, and the whole process can take about a year and a half. I've been waiting since November 2001 and am probably going to go in July this year.

If there's anything I can help you with feel free to email me: [email protected]

Good luck!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

dignity is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife works out here and I am currently on an H4 dependant visa (not working but looking) and we have a 2 year old daughter.

We live just outside worcester Ma and we find it peaceful and pleasant. Lots ofv things to see and do.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Clive is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally posted by dignity
My wife works out here and I am currently on an H4 dependant visa (not working but looking) and we have a 2 year old daughter.

We live just outside worcester Ma and we find it peaceful and pleasant. Lots ofv things to see and do.

Hi Dignity

And thanks for your info. I must admit i'm getting worried about this working thing as I'll have to work and don't know we could survive with me not working for a year or so. Is there a visa that we could travel on that would allow me to work straight away, regardless of my working skills?

We're looking to live in the Quincy / Hingham area if all goes well, have you visited there yet?

Cheers
Clive:scared:
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Clive

Unless you have skills which are in demand it is unlikely you will be able to find an employer to sponsor you, so you may find you will not be able to work for the duration of your stay in the US.

Also I don't have children, but from what I have seen and heard of the US education system it isn't that hot. Not enough focus on academics for my liking. UK education system is one of the best in the world.

That said, life can be enjoyed in the US. Much more opportunity and a more equal system.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

dignity is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I've just had a couple of companies "interested" in me and as soon as I mention my visa status they run a mile!!!

It is strange, I have a daughter but I am not allowed to work to help support her! Just as well my wife works!
Old Apr 17th 2003, 5:24 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify...as a registered nurse you are entitled to a green card and also one for your spouse and children. That means your spouse can work. It's not the same as other employment visas.