Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving Houston - want to be near the coast

Thinking of moving Houston - want to be near the coast

Old May 9th 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

mboyce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving Houston - want to be near the coast

Hi

An opportunity has come up for my husband in Houston. We have 2 children aged 5 and 8. Currently i work 4 days a week as a pharmaceutical Medical Representative. If we were to re locate, ideally we would want to live near the coast.

I have done some research and it seems Seabrook would be a good option?

Has anyone got any recommendations for us? thinking also about schools and the options for our very active boys.

It feels like such a huge move for us. I only really want to consider it if living by the coast is an option.

Thank you very much for any help.

Michelle
Old May 10th 2012, 1:29 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of oving Houston - want to be near the coast

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the US forum for you.

You must be excited about the move. Is your husband's employer transferring him?
Old May 10th 2012, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of oving Houston - want to be near the coast

Originally Posted by mboyce
Hi

An opportunity has come up for my husband in Houston. We have 2 children aged 5 and 8. Currently i work 4 days a week as a pharmaceutical Medical Representative. If we were to re locate, ideally we would want to live near the coast.
You should consider the exposure of the area to hurricane/storm surge.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving Houston - want to be near the coast

I forget... Did we decide if Houston is shit or not?
Old May 10th 2012, 10:38 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I've decided it's not!

However, if I wanted to live near a nice coast, Houston would not be my first choice. I guess it depends on what you want to do at the coast?

Last edited by Bink; May 10th 2012 at 10:40 am.
Old May 10th 2012, 1:12 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

It made it into the top cities so currently, not. That may change in hurricane season.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever driven thru seabrook on the way to Kemah. If you're looking for access to water, it'd be good for that - a few marinas, boat slips etc. but if you're looking for long walks on nice beaches, thats not really going to happen.

Its just across the bridge from Kemah - not sure what damage Seabrook sustained, but Kemah pretty much got wiped out in Hurricane Ike a few years back, so one to consider when you're looking at houses.

Where is your husband going to be working? We know a few folk who work for Nasa that live down that way, or over near Armand Bayou Nature center (can't remember the name of the subdivision off hand) Its quite a commute to say downtown from there, but probably a good bit easier to the refinery area in the South East. Or Nasa. I dont know anyone that commutes to downtown from over there, but maybe someone'll pop along in a minute.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:12 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mboyce
Hi

I have done some research and it seems Seabrook would be a good option?

Has anyone got any recommendations for us? thinking also about schools and the options for our very active boys.

It feels like such a huge move for us. I only really want to consider it if living by the coast is an option.

Thank you very much for any help.

Michelle
Do you know where your husband will be working? This will really seal the deal on whether you can live by the coast. Traffic and commute times usually dictate what areas you would be considering. We live in Pearland (South of Houston) as my hubby spends time on both the East and West of Houston so he has about a 30 min commute either direction. Many who work in the energy corridor choose Katy, Cinco Ranch areas. Once you know where he is working you can narrow it down to areas and then look at the school districts in each area. Quite a few of my hubbys engineers live in Clear Lake as they work mainly on the East of Houston.

Having moved from a small coastal town I would have been happy down towards Kemah or even Galveston but it would have been a nightmare for hubbys commute. Also be aware the closer you are to the coast you will probably have to pay for TWIA (commonly known as hurricane insurance). Our buildings and contents insurance is $750 per annum and TWIA last year was $1994.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:15 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Its just across the bridge from Kemah - not sure what damage Seabrook sustained, but Kemah pretty much got wiped out in Hurricane Ike a few years back, so one to consider when you're looking at houses.
In one word, buggered. Wiped out power for a month. Surrounded by water so everywhere a mess. Mandatory evacuation.

OP- Hello and Welcome to BE. There's lots of us here in Texas who'd be happy to help with any questions. Stay away from the snakes thread
Old May 10th 2012, 2:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Stay away from the snakes thread
Now now, isn't it better to be forewarned!! That way she can pack her snake stick and boots in her carry on luggage
Old May 10th 2012, 2:20 pm

No. If I'd read that thread before we'd be somewhere else
Old May 10th 2012, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a naked guy on a unicycle in Kemah yesterday...just saying
Old May 10th 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze
No. If I'd read that thread before we'd be somewhere else
Could be worse - you could be in Australia!
Old May 10th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol....that question has been rumbling so many years on here, and I'm still not sure of the outcome! Think it was trending towards shit a few years ago, more recently it seems to be not so shit
Old May 10th 2012, 4:03 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There was a naked guy on a unicycle in Kemah yesterday...just saying
Does that go on the pro or con side of the list?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.