Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Houston

Thinking of moving to Houston

Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:56 pm
Banned

hellohowru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Houston

Hi. I was inquiring about moving to Canada, when I was told that the wait times are very long and it would take me 4 years to be approved for residency. My Mum lives in Houston and she says she can sponsor me into America in less than a year. I have never been to America before, but I was wondering how English people find living in America and what they like best and worst about it? I have heard crime is bad there. I dont know about Houston specifically. I know that England is very expensive and life in America is supposed to be cheaper, but making friends is supposed to be harder.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Houston

Originally Posted by hellohowru
My Mum lives in Houston and she says she can sponsor me into America in less than a year.
Maybe, maybe not!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:40 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Immigration is really easy here, just ask Bush,
seen here addressing immigration concerns

My Mum lives in Houston and she says she can sponsor me into America in less than a year.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I was inquiring about moving to Canada, when I was told that the wait times are very long and it would take me 4 years to be approved for residency. My Mum lives in Houston and she says she can sponsor me into America in less than a year. I have never been to America before, but I was wondering how English people find living in America and what they like best and worst about it? I have heard crime is bad there. I dont know about Houston specifically. I know that England is very expensive and life in America is supposed to be cheaper, but making friends is supposed to be harder.
it is no cheaper, it is perceived cheaper due to holidayers making out like bandits due to the exchange rate.

Is your mum a US Citizen?

like the UK......crime is bad in bad places.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

According to USCIS. If you are unmarried, over 21 and your mum has a greencard, you are looking at about 7 1/2 years. If she is a US citizen and you are over 21, about 5 years. As far as I know the only way to do it in under a year would be if your mum was a US citizen and you are under 21 and unmarried.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:30 pm

Which, unless he was a child prodigy, he isn't
previous post

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
. . . and you are under 21 . . .
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:38 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome to BE

As your Mum lives in Houston, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask her all these questionsl?
Try visiting Houston first if thats where you are thinking of living. Of course if you do manage to get into US because of your Mum the US is a huge country, dont limit yourself to Houston. Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:27 pm
Banned

hellohowru is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did some research on the internet and because I am classified as an immediate relative (1st preference) and because she is an US citizen, I can immediately file for my greencard. Checking on the USCIS site, filing the application to change status (I485) which is filing for your greencard, in Houston the current processing date is March 1, 2006. It is currently Aug 9th, 2006. This means that my application would be processed in roughly 4 months. Whoever said 5 years is guilty of mindless scaremongering.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoever said 5 years is guilty of mindless scaremongering.

rules/regs change however it's always good to check things out yourself i find...good luck!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
truer words were never spoken
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:48 pm

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/child.htm
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:54 pm

I don't know how this part of immigration works, its not my route, https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/js...ceCenter=Texas
says the Texas service centre is processing "U.S. Citizen filing for an unmarried son or daughter over the age of 21" are processing cases date May 7th 2001 !!!

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
According to USCIS. If you are unmarried, over 21 and your mum has a greencard, you are looking at about 7 1/2 years. If she is a US citizen and you are over 21, about 5 years. As far as I know the only way to do it in under a year would be if your mum was a US citizen and you are under 21 and unmarried.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:26 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I just did some research on the internet and because I am classified as an immediate relative (1st preference) and because she is an US citizen, I can immediately file for my greencard. Checking on the USCIS site, filing the application to change status (I485) which is filing for your greencard, in Houston the current processing date is March 1, 2006. It is currently Aug 9th, 2006. This means that my application would be processed in roughly 4 months. Whoever said 5 years is guilty of mindless scaremongering.
I-485 does not apply in your case. It's I-130 cases you're interested in, and they're processing applications from 2001.

You may not like the 5-year answer, but it's correct.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:36 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I-485 does not apply in your case. It's I-130 cases you're interested in, and they're processing applications from 2001.

You may not like the 5-year answer, but it's correct.
DBJ is correct, I became a USC 3 years ago and started the process to get our son who is over 21 and unmarried over here. His I-130 has been in the system nearly 3 years.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I just did some research on the internet and because I am classified as an immediate relative (1st preference) and because she is an US citizen,
So you've gotta 10 year wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.