Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to uk

Thinking of moving back to uk

Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

D.K.B.63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving back to uk

Hello everyone

I have been reading a lot of information on here over the last couple of weeks and have a couple of comments and questions.

One concerns US citizenship I remember reading on here that several people became us citizens before returning. What is the point of this and what advantages are there. I was under the impression that if I became a US citizen that I would have to surrender my uk passport as they don't allow duel citizenship over here. So then would have to apply to return to UK. Or have I just been misinformed.

Anyway returning to uk for 2 week vacation in 12 days
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to uk

You don't have to give up your UK passport if you become a USC.

One advantage of becoming a USC, if I'm right, is the restrictions regarding time spent outside the country that come with just having a Green Card are lifted.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us have USC children who may move back to US at some point or who may continue to live in the US after we have moved to UK.
Having dual US/UK nationality makes things a lot easier for us. We can freely move back and forth as needed. Some of us have Ping ponged before
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Some of us have USC children who may move back to US at some point or who may continue to live in the US after we have moved to UK.
Having dual US/UK nationality makes things a lot easier for us. We can freely move back and forth as needed. Some of us have Ping ponged before
I agree it just makes more sense if you have a dual nationality child and family in both countries.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

OK now i see why you would do that. In our case there are no kids involved but my USC wife has a couple of sisters here and her mother so I guess this topic will be added to our discussions as we try to plan our future.

Right now we are in the early stages of planning and at the moment looking forward to our two week break back in England from the South Carolina sauna otherwise known as summer.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 10:34 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by D.K.B.63
OK now i see why you would do that. In our case there are no kids involved but my USC wife has a couple of sisters here and her mother so I guess this topic will be added to our discussions as we try to plan our future. Right now we are in the early stages of planning and at the moment looking forward to our two week break back in England from the South Carolina sauna otherwise known as summer.

Cannot stress enough the advantage(s) to getting your US citizenship before you move back, especially in light of this http://www.democratsabroad.org/node/13556 should you and your wife ever decide to return to the home of Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places. (Never say never.)

My husband (UKC) and I (USC) moved back to the UK 11 months ago from the Charleston area.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DDL
Cannot stress enough the advantage(s) to getting your US citizenship before you move back, especially in light of this http://www.democratsabroad.org/node/13556 should you and your wife ever decide to return to the home of Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places. (Never say never.)

My husband (UKC) and I (USC) moved back to the UK 11 months ago from the Charleston area.
Wow more info to digest thank you for the link.

By the way we are in the upstate area near Greenville. We visit Charleston fairly regularly for weekend breaks.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:38 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

On note of warning: Once you have US citizenship, you are legally obliged to file taxes in the US for the rest of your life, no matter where you live.

Currently most people don't owe any money - although some do and you should consult a tax advisor - but with the current state of the US economy, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that change somewhere down the road and to find us all paying taxes in both the UK and the US.

I don't know if I would have sought citizenship had I known of this obligation, something no other country on earth requires of its citizens.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:31 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Green card holders who move abroad have a US income tax obligation also.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4588.pdf
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is unbelievable. So they won't let you back in after a year has passed, but they DO make you pay taxes for at least 10 years. This country really is wild sometimes.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Wow indeed. So for 10 years I have to file us tax paperwork and my wife the USC has to for the rest of her life.

Just wondering if she becomes a UK citizen will she still have to file for the rest of her life.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
Finally Home!

Yes.

The only way she can stop filing is if she officially renounces her US citizenship. That would mean she could never go back.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by D.K.B.63
Anyway returning to uk for 2 week vacation in 12 days
Fantastic! Hope you have a wonderful trip. let us know all about it!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes.

The only way she can stop filing is if she officially renounces her US citizenship. That would mean she could never go back.
I know she won't do that so she will be a slave to IRS for the rest of her life no matter where we live. LOL
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RChappo
Fantastic! Hope you have a wonderful trip. let us know all about it!
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.