Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of heading back after 6 years..

Wikiposts

Thinking of heading back after 6 years..

Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of heading back after 6 years..

In the past when I have returned to the UK after a stint out here I've always experienced reverse culture shock.

I'm not sure how much you like it in the South but as others have said it might be worth exploring other states. When I lived in Seattle I always thought the Pacific Northwest seemed like a good place to bring up a family.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone here agrees, whether you are in the UK or US you have to be in the right location for you within that particular country.

I would also be careful when considering people saying 'everyones so unfriendly' or 'its really expensive to live'. Some people make friends easily, others not so. People also spend their money differently. I personally have found food costs similar and gas/petrol even if its more expensive in the UK, we use MUCH more here so the costs even out similar also.

I think if you are not suffering homesickness, and need to go back now. I would advise looking more at the logistical issues, cost, housing, education etc and the differences. Look it up yourself on the internet, rather than people just saying on here.

I did mean to mention in my other post that pre school education in the UK is very different to the US so I'd advise you to check that out. If you need any info I will try to be factual rather that a general 'its just so fab' or its 'the worst place ever'

Remember their are sh*t Holes to live in both countries
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi forgot to say, if you want to try living in the UK it might be as well to do it while your son is young. You also mentioned keeping you US job (good idea), that way you could try the UK for a couple of years. Then if you are happy then stay if not return to the US. At least you will know for sure and your son will still be pre school age when you return