British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thinking of Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thinking-florida-869726/)

TAMARKA81 Dec 28th 2015 8:49 pm

Thinking of Florida

Hi. Me(Polish) and my husband(Irish) and our 5 kids are dreaming to move to Florida. Im scientist and working currently as a care worker. My husband is Manager in Vodafone. We are sick of weather in Northern Ireland, and wanted to emigrate to Australia. However it's a bit fare. Does anyone have any tips?where to start?what to do? What we need first? How does the schools looks like? Aby info will be appreciated. Thank you.

petitefrancaise Dec 28th 2015 8:55 pm

Re: Thinking of Florida

Hi there! Welcome to BE -

Here is some information on how to emigrate to the US for you to start with...
Come back if you have more questions

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 29th 2015 1:50 am

Get a company transfer to the US.

Schools in Florida have a crap reputation

steveq Dec 29th 2015 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11822983)
Get a company transfer to the US.

Schools in Florida have a crap reputation

Entirely deserved.

My sister and her husband live there with their 8 year old - I think she's on her third or fourth school with him, and she's home schooled him for a stretch too. The kid is perfectly normal, intelligent and curious. The schools really don't push the kids along at all. I don't think she has anything positive to say about their system.

Moses2013 Dec 29th 2015 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TAMARKA81 (Post 11822807)
Hi. Me(Polish) and my husband(Irish) and our 5 kids are dreaming to move to Florida. Im scientist and working currently as a care worker. My husband is Manager in Vodafone. We are sick of weather in Northern Ireland, and wanted to emigrate to Australia. However it's a bit fare. Does anyone have any tips?where to start?what to do? What we need first? How does the schools looks like? Aby info will be appreciated. Thank you.

As petitefrancaise mentioned, you will need to check visa requirements and have you researched job opportunites & salaries vs. cost of living? Regarding weather, you might also be sick of Florida and depends on the location and what you think is good weather. Some parts of Florida get hit by hurricanes and for some people the hot and humid climate is too much. It's not the same heat you'd experience in Poland during summer and a lot wetter. You will also not receive the child benefits you have in the UK including health care etc. If it's just the weather, you might be better of moving to another part of the UK with more sunshine hours, or Wicklow area.

Pulaski Dec 29th 2015 10:56 am

Find out about visas and jobs first, everything else is a waste of time until then, but you might want look into the cost of health insurance and healthcare expenses not covered by insurance (known as "copays" and "deductibles") before you go much further as you will need a pretty good income to cover those costs for a family of seven.

SultanOfSwing Dec 29th 2015 1:33 pm

Is this a late Christmas present?

scrubbedexpat095 Dec 29th 2015 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11823285)
Is this a late Christmas present?

LOL good one

markcst Dec 29th 2015 2:57 pm

Saw "Florida". File under grass greener...

mikelincs Dec 29th 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by markcst (Post 11823373)

The gift that keeps on giving..:sneaky:

SultanOfSwing Dec 29th 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by markcst (Post 11823373)

The grass is only greener in Florida because it rains every day at lunchtime for 2 hours. Or at least, it did in that Top Gear special when they went there and Hammond jizzed his pants over his Dodge truck.

Pulaski Dec 29th 2015 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11823376)
The grass is only greener in Florida because it rains every day at lunchtime for 2 hours. .....

I thought it was because the roots reach the water table? :unsure:

steveq Dec 29th 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11823466)

...which is because....it rains every lunchtime for 2 hours....

SultanOfSwing Dec 29th 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11823466)

The rain helps bring the water table closer. Or something like that.

markcst Dec 29th 2015 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11823477)
The rain helps bring the water table closer. Or something like that.

And make most of Florida a sinkhole... which is ironic.