Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a Harley what about Insurance ??

Thinking of buying a Harley what about Insurance ??

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

scoobysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of buying a Harley what about Insurance ??

Hi, I am thinking of getting a motorcycle to keep in our vacation home that we visit each year for about 4 months a year over 2 trips on a VWP does anyone know what issues I am going to have regarding my current UK license and Insurance.

Do I have to have a Florida License to get insurance and what sort of cover can I get thats the same as (Fully Comp). I guessing its like a new policy so no no claims benefit and also high because I am a non US citizen.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a Harley what about Insurance ??

You will struggle to get insurance without a FL m/cycle endorsed drivers license. That said, insurance is not an absolute requirement for motorcycles in this state.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobysteve
Hi, I am thinking of getting a motorcycle to keep in our vacation home that we visit each year for about 4 months a year over 2 trips on a VWP does anyone know what issues I am going to have regarding my current UK license and Insurance.

Do I have to have a Florida License to get insurance and what sort of cover can I get thats the same as (Fully Comp). I guessing its like a new policy so no no claims benefit and also high because I am a non US citizen.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Steve
If you have assets in Florida you can get an insurance waiver; not sure if it's worth insuring a bike though, apart from against theft of course.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Better idea: you give me the bike for the other 8 months and I'll insure it...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If you have assets in Florida you can get an insurance waiver; not sure if it's worth insuring a bike though, apart from against theft of course.

Why would it not be wroth it to insure a bike? My husband has carried insurance on his motorcycle (full year although in storage during winter months) the same as he has insured his truck. The yearly cost is very low.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would it not be wroth it to insure a bike? My husband has carried insurance on his motorcycle (full year although in storage during winter months) the same as he has insured his truck. The yearly cost is very low.
I got it wrong, for me it may not be worth insuring because down here the cost is quite high.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't want to have a minor insurance as I will be buying a new bike, I have asked the Harley dealer the same question putting it to them that I have to have this sorted before I purchase the bike so hopefully they will put me in touch with a company, I was hoping there was a UK harley owner in Florida that would help me in the same situation, but thanks for your input so far
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't want to have a minor insurance as I will be buying a new bike, I have asked the Harley dealer the same question putting it to them that I have to have this sorted before I purchase the bike so hopefully they will put me in touch with a company, I was hoping there was a UK harley owner in Florida that would help me in the same situation, but thanks for your input so far
Try the Total Motorcycle forums: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/index.php
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend in Florida who did this, same situation.

he had no trouble buying the bike as a lot of Brits buy and export Hogs, the dealer only wanted to see a license, any license. His problem was having it registered and titled which can only be done to a US address and driving license.

His solution was to get a FLA driving license from the DMV. As he had a home there, all be it a holiday home, he was able to present the title deeds to prove entitlement and was able to sit a test and get a license. Then the rest, including insurance was easy. See here

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html

Its a Florida only license and has the words 'Valid In Florida Only' on it, but it does the trick for his needs.

He got a limited mileage insurance policy as he only uses the bike a few weeks a year and it was peanuts.

What are you thinking of buying?

Hope this helps

Sir D
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg

he had no trouble buying the bike as a lot of Brits buy and export Hogs, the dealer only wanted to see a license, any license. His problem was having it registered and titled which can only be done to a US address and driving license.

His solution was to get a FLA driving license from the DMV. As he had a home there, all be it a holiday home, he was able to present the title deeds to prove entitlement and was able to sit a test and get a license. Then the rest, including insurance was easy. See here

Its a Florida only license and has the words 'Valid In Florida Only' on it, but it does the trick for his needs.

He got a limited mileage insurance policy as he only uses the bike a few weeks a year and it was peanuts.

Hope this helps

Sir D
Does the license remain valid for many years or only the duration of the visa your are currently in the country for, ie 90 days for me as I always come in on vwp.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hope this helps

Sir D
Sir Deb,
I am thinking of a New Harley Davidson Rocker C
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

I had to call and ask...

Its temporary, his papework from the DMV says.....

'a period not to exceed the expiration date of the USCIS document presented or one calendar year, whichever occurs first.'

So if you enter on VWP its 90 days. They use the exipry date from the I-94 Its a hassle but its the only way to keep the vehicle legally registered and tagged (plates) he does the same with a car. He justifies it as being a lot cheapert than renting for 3 months at a time each time... sounds like major ball-ache to me though

Sir D
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Deb,
I am thinking of a New Harley Davidson Rocker C
NICE!! Some insane bargains here on Hogs in CA, I guess FLA is the same. I would have to sell a kidney on the black market to pay for it, but it would doubtless be worth it

You would think that a LPR in Florida would have recognized the business opportunity to 'co-buy' and 'lease' Harleys etc through monthly rental fees to VWP second home owners at sensible rates. Kind of like those supercar-timeshare ownership programs you see........ probably worth posting on an FLA HOG Owners site to see if anybody already has.

Sir D
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

I had to call and ask...

Its temporary, his papework from the DMV says.....

'a period not to exceed the expiration date of the USCIS document presented or one calendar year, whichever occurs first.'

So if you enter on VWP its 90 days. They use the exipry date from the I-94 Its a hassle but its the only way to keep the vehicle legally registered and tagged (plates) he does the same with a car. He justifies it as being a lot cheapert than renting for 3 months at a time each time... sounds like major ball-ache to me though

Sir D
Sir Den, what about if the bike is owned by someone in the US, could I then be put down as an insured driver. I guess this will mean that I have no legal right to the bike but if its someone I trust would that work. I agree its a bloody nightmare.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

I love the country but boy do they make it hard to try and enjoy it over there when your allowed in that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.