Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Originally Posted by Steve411
My point about Polish workers is that I employ 4 great guys that have come to the UK to work, I employ them because it is difficult to find British workers especially in the service industry, it's part of the problem of this country right now. I welcome anyone into the Uk who come for the right reasons, I listen to alot of resentment from my own british staff concerning my decision to give those guys employment. I am marrying a Japanese lady, that should give away my credentials !! I'm looking to leave the Uk for many different reasons, but the UK being crap is not one of them, but I am looking for a new challenge in my life.
You have the right "frame of mind" for the US!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go with Fatbrits suggestion ... but you will need far more capital ..
Buying an existing business would be better ...

Last edited by Ray; Apr 9th 2007 at 7:53 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice

Thanks fella's
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

re: 'Closer to Japan'.

It doesn't seem so, but when you measure out the travel times, you find that given the 'polar' route that the airlines take to Tokyo Narita, the travel times from most US cities are remarkably similar.

For example, LAX to Narita is about 12 hours. Chicago - Tokyo 13.5 hours. JFK/NY to Narita is 14 hours. That, despite the fact that LAX is '6 hours' by plane WEST of JFK/NY. Since the planes go 'up and over' to get to Asia, it really doesn't make all that much of a difference if you are on the East or West Coast.

That said, there is definitely more of a Japanese community in LAX than say Florida, so she might have an easier go assimilating.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
re: 'Closer to Japan'.

It doesn't seem so, but when you measure out the travel times, you find that given the 'polar' route that the airlines take to Tokyo Narita, the travel times from most US cities are remarkably similar.

For example, LAX to Narita is about 12 hours. Chicago - Tokyo 13.5 hours. JFK/NY to Narita is 14 hours. That, despite the fact that LAX is '6 hours' by plane WEST of JFK/NY. Since the planes go 'up and over' to get to Asia, it really doesn't make all that much of a difference if you are on the East or West Coast.

That said, there is definitely more of a Japanese community in LAX than say Florida, so she might have an easier go assimilating.
about the same flying times from the UK, over the pole and back down again.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice

Good point ! I will mention that to my better half, although she has expressed more of an interest in California as she has spent time in Santa Barbera, but she speaks fluent english and has lived in the UK for over 8 yrs, and she is very social so she will fit in anywhere.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The closest US city (mainland) is Seattle, with a flight time of about 10.5 hours. Honolulu, Hawaii, which seems like a Japanese city at times (Japanses is spoken as much in Hawaii as Spanish is in some US cities), is about 7 hours from Narita.

Hawaii is *extremely* expensive, but well, it would be a fun.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Steve411, please don't dismiss some of the 'negative' comments you have heard on here. Elvira is a respected and long time member of this site and brings up some very good points, as do others. You are about to make a big move and you should look at all the angles, not just the positive ones. Moving to the US is very difficult (as you are aware) and is life changing. Have you thought about buying a holiday home here and trying to spend more time here first? Then you could see if you like it. As far as the visa situation goes, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck to you and your family!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve411
I understand where your coming from regarding healthcare , tax etc, but the Uk is incredibly expensive these days we are taxed to the hilt, pensions are worthless, fuel is extortionate, house prices have rocketed and are virtually unobtainable for the young, the NHS is collapsing and will probably be privatised over the coming decade, nobody wants to work unless their Polish, there are enough reasons for me to want to move away.
I know these arent your only reasons to move - but you need to do a lot of research to make sure life is any better over here - i have argued many times that cost of living is MUCH cheaper over here - but that is because of my circumstances - most people find it evens out generally. I love it here and would recommend it - but others dont - so put in plenty of ground work would be my advice. Just be careful its not fying pan and fire!