Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Originally Posted by Steve411
fatbrit, (seems a bit unflattering),

I have a transport and storage/fulfilment business with 25 employees, been going around 7 years, and I will probaly have about $220k to invest in a new business or start up business, I don't intend to sell my company as it is still growing strong and I can do alot of my work via remote pc, I also have big brother access through my cctv via the web, so I can keep an eye on things, so I can be away from the country. My fiance has an Hair salon in Japan (yes she's Japanese) and we were contemplating either buying an established salon or possibly setting up our own, I guess whichever is the easiest route.
I don't think you have enough $$$...

And even if, in theory, you could run your UK business remotely, would it really be practical. What about all the tax implications of running business in both countries. (Do you REALLY want to get involved with the IRS?).

Plus no long-term security of legal status. Not to mention the huge worry about healthcare (This is something which you really need to look into before you go too far down this route - most Brits have NO IDEA of the costs involved...)

Altogether I am wondering whether somewhere in the EU might no be easier.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice

Thanks for the encouragement
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the encouragement
Sorry - thought you came here for information. I do not recall you asking for 'encouragement' - whatever that means...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice

With the greatest of respect and not wishing to annoy, I just found your message a touch negative as I am looking to live in the states and not in the EU. I could invest more $$$ but do not want to put all my eggs in one basket and I have read testimonials from people who have invested less and have still managed to secure their move to the US.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest of respect and not wishing to annoy, I just found your message a touch negative as I am looking to live in the states and not in the EU. I could invest more $$$ but do not want to put all my eggs in one basket and I have read testimonials from people who have invested less and have still managed to secure their move to the US.
Right, so Elvira is offering you a realistic view of what to expect--and it may not be positive. You asked for opinions; hers is as valid as any gung-ho 'go for it' poster.
If you think you know of stories of people doing it with less $$, post a link and maybe someone here can point out any major differences between that story and you.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:30 pm
Homebody

Okay, I admit, we are all amateurs...

Have you checked out Ray yet? His website should give you tons of information - even though it's about Florida...)

NB: Where were you planning to live in California? (Have you checked out house prices? )
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the people doing it with less money are investing in shit hole locations that don't have jobs, and would have other criteria to meet because of it...if you want your business to seriously do well, and it's a service industry business, setting up in a ghetto ain't going to do very well...and as mentioned, the E2 isn't very forgiving of a failed business.

You must have an idea of how difficult it is to get a visa in Japan, the US is no different.

Most people who get here are through marriage, then through a company transfer (L1 from a multinational type of company to be realistic), and then a work sponsored H1 and that was has its own pitfalls, not to mention really tough to get, this years quota being met even before they started for instance.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

fatbrit, (seems a bit unflattering),

I have a transport and storage/fulfilment business with 25 employees, been going around 7 years, and I will probaly have about $220k to invest in a new business or start up business, I don't intend to sell my company as it is still growing strong and I can do alot of my work via remote pc, I also have big brother access through my cctv via the web, so I can keep an eye on things, so I can be away from the country. My fiance has an Hair salon in Japan (yes she's Japanese) and we were contemplating either buying an established salon or possibly setting up our own, I guess whichever is the easiest route.
L1a intra-company transfer using a start-up US business connected to your UK business is the method you should investigate first. Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

With that number of employees and the age of the company, you shouldn't have trouble opening a branch here, providing the balance sheet looks good - find a good immigration attorney that specializes in L1A's. Look through the AILA website.

Edit: What fatbrit said.

Adding - costs are pretty high in California - be prepared for a bit of a shock in startup costs.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, I admit, we are all amateurs...

Have you checked out Ray yet? His website should give you tons of information - even though it's about Florida...)

NB: Where were you planning to live in California? (Have you checked out house prices? )
I have been looking on realtor.com at the cost of housing in California and I know it is more expensive than many other parts of US but at this stage I have an open mind !! I am going to visit my cousin who lives in San Diego in August, and I will be checking out the area. My fiance is the driving force towards California as it is closer for her to travel back to Japan, I have vacationed in Florida, which I really liked apart from the bland countryside (to flat) but the people were very warm. I lived in Pittsburgh for 6 months and loved it there also. I understand where your coming from regarding healthcare , tax etc, but the Uk is incredibly expensive these days we are taxed to the hilt, pensions are worthless, fuel is extortionate, house prices have rocketed and are virtually unobtainable for the young, the NHS is collapsing and will probably be privatised over the coming decade, nobody wants to work unless their Polish, there are enough reasons for me to want to move away.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking on realtor.com at the cost of housing in California and I know it is more expensive than many other parts of US but at this stage I have an open mind !! I am going to visit my cousin who lives in San Diego in August, and I will be checking out the area. My fiance is the driving force towards California as it is closer for her to travel back to Japan, I have vacationed in Florida, which I really liked apart from the bland countryside (to flat) but the people were very warm. I lived in Pittsburgh for 6 months and loved it there also. I understand where your coming from regarding healthcare , tax etc, but the Uk is incredibly expensive these days we are taxed to the hilt, pensions are worthless, fuel is extortionate, house prices have rocketed and are virtually unobtainable for the young, the NHS is collapsing and will probably be privatised over the coming decade, nobody wants to work unless their Polish, there are enough reasons for me to want to move away.

You two need to get married beforehand so as not to complicate matters. Then, the dependent spouse will be allowed to work wherever s/he wants. Be warned that the L1a's use for normal folks (i.e. not senior management @ Micro$oft or GM, etc) is becoming more and more popular and, consequently, they are tightening it up all the time. Forget to dot an "i" or cross a "t" and you'll never get the visa or - much worse - you'll not get a renewal after the initial issue.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone that has posted a reply, it's given me a great deal to digest and I appreciate your honesty. I will look into all the options and see where it takes me. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Bristol Based Brit
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And the US, especially CA would be any different to those issues? And not liking immigrants by becoming on not strike you as irony?

Going somewhere for the benefits and adventure is worth while, leaving somewhere because you think the nation is crap isn't, it's much cheaper to just move around the country.

And when you live here, your earning $ not £, so don't think in terms of the exchange rate, holiday mode soon gets you screwed.

And don't forget to factor in plenty of taxes, CA is particularly good for that....that and all those things you mention, well your'll be paying medicare/caid, SS as you do in the UK, but here, you'll have to pay for medical insurance on top and the pension isn't worth salt here either...reason why you see so many elderly people in their 70's + working in walmart as greeters.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

My point about Polish workers is that I employ 4 great guys that have come to the UK to work, I employ them because it is difficult to find British workers especially in the service industry, it's part of the problem of this country right now. I welcome anyone into the Uk who come for the right reasons, I listen to alot of resentment from my own british staff concerning my decision to give those guys employment. I am marrying a Japanese lady, that should give away my credentials !! I'm looking to leave the Uk for many different reasons, but the UK being crap is not one of them, but I am looking for a new challenge in my life.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

What fatbrit said is very important to note.

You get your L1A initially to be able to get the company on its feet. That is given for a year I think it is (might have changed). You have to prove that your business is well on its way to being established, with a number of employees or else they deny your application for extension and you have to leave. You don't have to close the business but you have to get a manager to do it (USC/Perm resident). That is one of the reasons you need quite a tad of capital to start off with. You need to be paying 4 or more people wages for that year in order to get the extensions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.