Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice
Thumbs up Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Hello everyone

Im hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has risked all for a new life in America. I am a 43 yr old Brit, who has dreamed for along time now of living a new life in the states. I have worked extremely hard to build a business in the uk, and am thinking of selling my home in the uk for investment capital to buy a small business possibly in california, but keep my existing business as a source of additional income, I would be interested to know of anyone else out there that has done something similar and whether or not it has been worth the risks. I would like to get an idea of how difficult or easy it has been to gain the appropriate visa's etc.. to eventually gain permanent residency, as Iv'e heard that buying a business does not necessarily guarantee getting eventual permanent residency. I would be interested at finding out what level of investment people have made to successfully secure the visa's required.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking Of Buying A Business In California

Originally Posted by Steve411
Hello everyone

Im hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has risked all for a new life in America. I am a 43 yr old Brit, who has dreamed for along time now of living a new life in the states. I have worked extremely hard to build a business in the uk, and am thinking of selling my home in the uk for investment capital to buy a small business possibly in california, but keep my existing business as a source of additional income, I would be interested to know of anyone else out there that has done something similar and whether or not it has been worth the risks. I would like to get an idea of how difficult or easy it has been to gain the appropriate visa's etc.. to eventually gain permanent residency, as Iv'e heard that buying a business does not necessarily guarantee getting eventual permanent residency. I would be interested at finding out what level of investment people have made to successfully secure the visa's required.
E2 visa......we wanted to go in via that visa...they keep changing the goal posts.....Ray would be the best person to speak to....no doubt he will find you.....It isn't easy,there are no guarantees and it takes an age.....but good luck
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Steve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really niceSteve411 is just really nice

My first post and already a reply,
Thank you for the info, it looks like Iv'e found the right forum.
Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

My first post and already a reply,
Thank you for the info, it looks like Iv'e found the right forum.
Cheers
like I said Ray would be the best person to speak to send him a message...he knows everything about every US visa.....My parents have lived in Florida for 11 years they got in via sponsorship....but these days the road is long....they could sponsor us but it would take at least 8 years.....as for the E2 visa buying a business some qualify some don't and half the time you don't know untill you have committed yourself....I know someone who bought a business in FL and 4 years later they still havn't got their visa...having to run the business from the UK......talk to a good lawyer....once again Ray could recommend....he lives in FL so he won't be online for another couple of hours but if you send him a maessage he will respond straight away
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks again,

I don't expect an easy path, and I guess it's a gamble, but nothing in life ever comes easy these days. How do your folks like living in Florida if you don't mind me asking !! Any regrets..
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again,

I don't expect an easy path, and I guess it's a gamble, but nothing in life ever comes easy these days. How do your folks like living in Florida if you don't mind me asking !! Any regrets..
nope...they love it don't miss anything...including me
they gained dual citizenship last year.....anything worth doing will be hard work...like I said good luck in your ventures
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Take a read through this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=11

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 9th 2007 at 11:52 am.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Options at this stage are: E-2, L1a or EB5.

Additional info required...

Your business in the UK:
How long has it been going?
How many people does it employ?

Your money:
Have you got $0.25 million, $0.5 million or $1 million to invest?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

don't do it, the selling up of a UK business that is, because the E2 visa is crap...it doesn't lead to a greencard, any kids you have would have to get own visa's at 21, you retire or the business goes under and you've got to leave immediately etc.

Best bet, depending on size of business, if it's sizable, to open a US office and do a company transfer.

But it's a tad pricey having a business in the US....much better to be employed, your knocking on a bit and medical insurance will be a kick in the balls if your self employed, more so with any pre-existing conditions, and even more so when you hit 50.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Well I'm not going to sell my uk business, but am thinking of selling my house to raise capital, but what is the inter company transfer route ? Can i use my existing business to start up something in the states ? By the way since when was 43 getting on a bit, I only look 32 according to one of my new employee's back here in uk, maybe he was trying to impress the boss !!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not going to sell my uk business, but am thinking of selling my house to raise capital, but what is the inter company transfer route ? Can i use my existing business to start up something in the states ? By the way since when was 43 getting on a bit, I only look 32 according to one of my new employee's back here in uk, maybe he was trying to impress the boss !!
As Fatbrit said, look into L1.

However, before you do that, I would suggest looking at medical insurance. In detail.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Need the data asked for. Anything else is pie in the sky!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Read this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

NC Penguin
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

anything over 30 is getting on a bit regarding medical insurance over here.

and your looking at L1 visa, but as fatbrit said, without the info, no one can tell you if it's a goer or not.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

fatbrit, (seems a bit unflattering),

I have a transport and storage/fulfilment business with 25 employees, been going around 7 years, and I will probaly have about $220k to invest in a new business or start up business, I don't intend to sell my company as it is still growing strong and I can do alot of my work via remote pc, I also have big brother access through my cctv via the web, so I can keep an eye on things, so I can be away from the country. My fiance has an Hair salon in Japan (yes she's Japanese) and we were contemplating either buying an established salon or possibly setting up our own, I guess whichever is the easiest route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.