Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying

Thinking of buying

Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Britishchap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of buying

Hello all,
I am new to this site so please be gentle and if I post in the wrong places and what not please forgive me.

Anyway, me and the lady friend are living blighty but are thinking of buying in LA or San Fran.
She is an administrator and I am basically unskilled-although I have spent a number of years working in the social sector. We are not rich but we do own our own home.
Would it be possible to get a visa?

Any advice would be a blessing
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:25 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying

Originally Posted by Britishchap
Hello all,
I am new to this site so please be gentle and if I post in the wrong places and what not please forgive me.

Anyway, me and the lady friend are living blighty but are thinking of buying in LA or San Fran.
She is an administrator and I am basically unskilled-although I have spent a number of years working in the social sector. We are not rich but we do own our own home.
Would it be possible to get a visa?

Any advice would be a blessing
No, it would not be possible to get a visa given the limited information you've provided.

Read this and if you can find a visa category that you're somehow eligable for, post it here and we can discuss.

The visa's what will stop you proceeding with your plan, but if you don't mind me asking, how the hell do you expect to buy a home in CA if you're not rich? Are you planning on living in the ghetto? Do you have any concept of just how expensive homes in SF are, for example?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Read the Visa section in the WIKI.

Sorry to be so blunt but we get a posting like yours nearly every day and about 95% of them have no route to a VISA. The immigration options to the US you basically have to think of it this way: The United States does not want or need you. You have to find a exception that does apply to you in some way.

If you have a visa path, please let us know and we'll move the discussion to the next level of where / how / etc. but until that gets answered, it's kind of an academic exercise (and one most folks here are pretty tired of having).

Nothing personal--just some cold hard facts.

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it depends what sort of visa you want.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishchap
Buying what? A house? A car? A business? A cup of coffee?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Buying what? A house? A car? A business? A cup of coffee?
a return flight
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:40 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
a return flight
Actually housing in SF and LA is cheap in comparison to the south of England.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
Actually housing in SF and LA is cheap in comparison to the south of England.
yeah,

then what?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:47 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

yeah,

then what?
just my opinion based on what I have there and here. A previous poster had said that CA housing was expensive..but its not comparatively.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

yeah,

then what?
Then buy two flights home
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
Then buy two flights home
I believe that tactic is reserved for the more waist challenged airbourne locals
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:54 pm
@matthewb76

I believe that tactic is reserved for the more waist challenged airbourne locals
house prices are neither here nor there.

they sell there house in the UK, and buy in the USA.....

then what?
shit and creeks sans paddle......
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:55 pm
Banned

house prices are neither here nor there.

they sell there house in the UK, and buy in the USA.....

then what?
shit and creeks sans paddle......
Doesn't stop most of Central America
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:00 pm
@matthewb76

Doesn't stop most of Central America
well if someone wants to live like that, so be it.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:04 pm
Banned

well if someone wants to live like that, so be it.
my handy man is quite affluent