Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins

Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins

Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins

Originally Posted by amandaj75
Yes i think you are right. i guess it also boils down to what they learn in kindergarden vs first grade. They already can read well and do basic arithmetic so i need to see how that compares with the US.
My Dd was already reading and could do basic math in K. Also a January baby. She went into 1st grade at 6.5 year and is now in 2nd grade at 7.5.
Most schools do group children in class according to ability and gear reading groups and math groups this way, so I wouldn't worry about them entering 1st grade in September 2013.
We are in reverse and I worry that moving her back to UK she may not be up to speed, she'll go from 2nd grade here to year 3 when we move (hopefully this school year)
K here is not really like reception class, Pre K or Preschool is more like reception class in our area.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
It all depends on the area. The closer in to the centre of Silicon Valley the higher the costs. Realistically I think you will be hard pressed to find a quality 3-4 bedroom single family home for 2,800 pcm.

I just did a general search on Sunnyvale Rentals ('cause I used to live in Sunnyvale) and clicked on Archway Apartments. Their 2 bedrooms start at 2,400 and their 3 bedrooms at 3,000. Apartment typically have amenities like gyms and pools, so a 3-4 bedroom house without any amenities might also fall into this range.

I would Google all the areas suggested to you to get a handle on current rental costs.
Am going to give some realtors a call tomorrow to get a feel for prices now that I've researched the schools/areas. I realise that we'll only be able to get a 3 bed (and a pokey one at that) for a max of $3,200 which frustrates me as we live in a nice large 3 bed in London but i can't compare the prices (and i thought London was expensive!)
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:44 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

bear in mind to that you will need to budget for 2 cars plus gas and insurance etc.

also - the house you buy/rent will have a direct bearing on the school your child will be attending - ie subdivisions are predetermined to go to school x. The boundaries can change but they don't like to do it. so if you like a particular school you severely limit the house choices open to you. Its not like England where you can apply to the schools of your choice
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
bear in mind to that you will need to budget for 2 cars plus gas and insurance etc.

also - the house you buy/rent will have a direct bearing on the school your child will be attending - ie subdivisions are predetermined to go to school x. The boundaries can change but they don't like to do it. so if you like a particular school you severely limit the house choices open to you. Its not like England where you can apply to the schools of your choice
Having studied the great school website, i've selected about 20 schools i like the look of so hopefully am keeping my options fairly open. Rental prices are crazy though. I hear they come down a bit in the winter. Padmapper is a great site to search for apartments (without realtor fees) - is there a similar one for houses?

In terms of gas, we'd have to pay for that if we were living in the UK or the US so that won't be an additional expense. However, my husband is based from home at the moment and so has no commuter costs. If we moved out to SJ he'd have to potentially drive 20-25 miles a day round trip to work - any idea how i can calculate the approximate cost of his gas per day?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of gas, we'd have to pay for that if we were living in the UK or the US so that won't be an additional expense. However, my husband is based from home at the moment and so has no commuter costs. If we moved out to SJ he'd have to potentially drive 20-25 miles a day round trip to work - any idea how i can calculate the approximate cost of his gas per day?
You will find that your mileage will be a *lot* more in the US than it was in the UK but this should be offset by the lower gas prices in the US.

For budgetary purposes you should probably assume a gas mileage of 25 miles to the gallon and a price of about $4.35 per gallon in the San Jose area.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Having studied the great school website, i've selected about 20 schools i like the look of so hopefully am keeping my options fairly open. Rental prices are crazy though. I hear they come down a bit in the winter. Padmapper is a great site to search for apartments (without realtor fees) - is there a similar one for houses?

Craigslist is your best option, I also looked at these sites daily while we were looking, however they always post on Craigslist anyway.

http://www.cornerstonepm.net/?page=listings
http://www.dwmproperties.com/Nav.asp...ory.com/288970
http://www.mpmsv.com/current-properties.php
http://www.actionproperties.com/
http://www.atlantisproperties.net/home_rentals
http://wakrauss.postlets.com/

Try find an area with more than one school that you like, moving part way through the year may mean there is no room at the 'local' school and they will place you in another school within the district.

Alternatively, if you see a house you like but it isn't in your first choice school area, give the school district a call and ask if they will take your child into your first choice school. If there is room, they will often take you if you live in the district.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How does your husband's salary in the US compare with what he is getting in the UK?

In my last company people moving from the UK to Silicon Valley were given "cost of living raises" of at least 10%.

While basic taxes might be lower in the US, by the time you have taken into account health insurance costs, higher rentals, higher gas prices and sales tax, Silicon Valley (and California) in general is an expensive place to live compared to many States.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

How does your husband's salary in the US compare with what he is getting in the UK?

In my last company people moving from the UK to Silicon Valley were given "cost of living raises" of at least 10%.
We don't know yet - we've presented our estimated monthly budget and we'll see what they come back with. Yikes
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we moved to the area in January.

Rent is very expensive in a lot of areas and this is because they have the best schools.
Make sure you call the local schools and check the address for your possible rental before you sign the lease, dont trust the landlord or agent to tell you what the local catchment is.

When you are looking at your estimated costs, take into account that there is only one electricity and gas company called PG&E. Ours bills are more expensive than they were in the UK.

This area is a great place to live, great weather, friendly people and my two kids 13 and 11 settled really well into their school.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CKB40
Hi, we moved to the area in January.

Rent is very expensive in a lot of areas and this is because they have the best schools.
Make sure you call the local schools and check the address for your possible rental before you sign the lease, dont trust the landlord or agent to tell you what the local catchment is.

When you are looking at your estimated costs, take into account that there is only one electricity and gas company called PG&E. Ours bills are more expensive than they were in the UK.

This area is a great place to live, great weather, friendly people and my two kids 13 and 11 settled really well into their school.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the tips. Are you renting an appartment or a house? Are you happy with the schooling? Was there anything else you've noticed re monthly outgoings?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are renting a house organised by my husbands company, but the local school isn't at good as I wanted, so we put them into a private school.

Budget for replacing all your electrical goods. Hoover, kitchen gadgets, iron etc. it costs more than you first think!

Good luck, it is worth it.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:14 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how far you want to commute Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill are all areas to take a look at.

The best schools are in Palo Alto apparently; though this place is expensive in terms of housing.

Doesn't Sunnyvale have a problem with vampires....sorry that's Sunnydale.

Silicon valley has some really nice areas and you are close to San Fran..always good. But you have to balance that against it being very expensive, particularly for housing and with terrible traffic. Cupertino is very nice as you are close to the mountains...Sunnyvale has a lot of 1960s and 70s developments...think Brady Bunch houses and some really big office parks, NASA Ames and Lockheed.